(7-5) Bowl Bound - Who has a problem with this?

Just remember guys. we play at Purdue, Purdue does not come to TCF Bank Stadium this year.

Anyway i thinking more like we will be 5-7. i love to be 7-5. But not thinking that this year.

If we lose even 2 OL players to injuries, we will be having a very long year. I can think of 2 OL starters that have proven to be quite prone to injury, which limited their career starts. If we lose our best receiver to any type of nagging injury our season will become very long. Even though we have developed some depth at OL, most have never seen a snap in the BIG. We are most certainly still too young and unproven to be talking about winning seasons. There are no guaranteed wins this year. The Gophs will be noncompetitive unless we get a few breaks from the football gods.

Each and every year, I read posts of improvements and we end up in either the bottom or in a mediocre standing. I have been overly optimistic in years past. This year, I would prefer to have no optimism until the team proves itself more consistent than flipping a coin. One year of recruiting Kills players is not enough to provide a superior edge to suddenly propel me to believe a victory is possible in any given game. Call this the traditional view of Gopher football. Call me Debbie Downer. I am just not following the latest prophet to come along and come to a new faith before the first game has been played. 40 years of watching these guys and I can't enjoy the optimism without mid-season proof.

If we lose even 2 OL players to injuries, we will be having a very long year. I can think of 2 OL starters that have proven to be quite prone to injury, which limited their career starts. If we lose our best receiver to any type of nagging injury our season will become very long. Even though we have developed some depth at OL, most have never seen a snap in the BIG. We are most certainly still too young and unproven to be talking about winning seasons. There are no guaranteed wins this year. The Gophs will be noncompetitive unless we get a few breaks from the football gods.

Each and every year, I read posts of improvements and we end up in either the bottom or in a mediocre standing. I have been overly optimistic in years past. This year, I would prefer to have no optimism until the team proves itself more consistent than flipping a coin. One year of recruiting Kills players is not enough to provide a superior edge to suddenly propel me to believe a victory is possible in any given game. Call this the traditional view of Gopher football. Call me Debbie Downer. I am just not following the latest prophet to come along and come to a new faith before the first game has been played. 40 years of watching these guys and I can't enjoy the optimism without mid-season proof.

+1

We need to take into account that Miami (OH) also has a new coaching staff. They may not be the team everyone thinks they are.

The question I have is how has Kill's defenses stacked up against mobile QB's in the past? I think that will go a long way toward making any predictions. I hope for a 6-6 year. I do think that this team will beat one of these teams: USC, Nebraska, Wisconsin, or Iowa.

Iowa has no national attention which plays to their favor. Nebraska and Wisconsin have a ton of pressure.

I have hope because I think Brewster left some talent which now has better coaching. We'll see on Saturday.

Depth will be key, if we can stay healthy we give ourselves a chance.

Keep in mind alot depends on how good of a coach Kill and his staff are, they've played(beat) Hope's Purdue, played(and almost beat) Zook's IL team last year, played(and almost beat)BB's wisky team, all on the road before. They'll hopefully have learned from those games how their schemes stack up and what buttons to push.

5-7 wins is likely.

I think there is going to be at least one upset this year, but if they get 4 wins, it will be a pretty good year, though obviously I want more.

If last years team could win two big ten games, why can't this one? Our defense can only be better than last year.

The Gophers are just one year removed from the type of season the original poster projected. I don't see why some people believe 4 or 5 wins would qualify as a success in any form or fashion. The Gophers started basically an entire new defense last year and the wheels came off the season when they were not ready to play against South Dakota State. At that point, it was a death watch on the head coach and it's very tough to win games at that point. I have no idea how this team will perform, but judging by recent history they should be good for 3 wins in the Big Ten and 3 non-conference wins. That puts the Gophers at another forgettable 6-6 season, hopefully not including losses to both rivals as has usually been the case the past decade plus. I think somewhere between 5-7 and 7-5 seems like a reasonable expectation depending on the performance of Gray at QB and the overall health of the team.

A 4-6 win season is reasonable expectation for first year underKill. IMHO, Q's/Shortell's qb play, injuries and how quickly their RsFR and true FR can step in will play major roles in the outcome.

Top Bottom