(7-5) Bowl Bound - Who has a problem with this?

Parski1

Banned
Reaction score
L @ #25 USC
W vs New Mexico State
W vs Miami (OH)
W vs North Dakota State
L @ Michigan
W vs Purdue
L vs #10 Nebraska
W vs Iowa
L @ #17 Michigan State
L vs #11 Wisconsin
W @ Northwestern
W vs Illinois

I don't get why everyone has us pegged to beat Iowa :S

I think everyone on the board would take 7-5 this season. If not, I'd be interested to see why.

That said, I think Iowa and Northwestern will be tougher games than most here are predicting, so it could just as easily be 5-7. Is it Saturday yet?

Probably because we beat Iowa last year when we shouldn't have, and they have a young QB taking over (the same QB who was flustered against us 2 years ago).

I don't think everyone is predicting we beat Iowa handily, just that the game won't be a guaranteed loss.

7-5 would be a success, no matter where the 7 wins come from. The more likely best scenario is 6-6, with perhaps an unexpected win (Iowa) or unexpected loss (Miami-Ohio) thrown in somewhere?

I have no problem with pegging us to beat Iowa, it will be at home and the guys will be keyed up, because they know they can win.

I have a problem with it because people think Northwestern is a pushover for some reason. We weren't able to beat Purdue in our own house last season, and it's been a crow's age since we last won a game at Ross Ade.

I'd love a 7-5 season but I think 5-7 is more realistic this year. In the words of Principal Skinner: "Prove me wrong, children!"

I'm on record for predicting a 3-9 season so I of course would take 7-5 in a heartbeat. To achieve that I think you'd have to break down the season in the following way:

Would have to win 5 of these 6 (I see 2 to 4 wins in this group):
New Mexico State
North Dakota State
Purdue
Miami (OH)
Northwestern
Illinois
Would have to win 2 of these 6 (I see 1 win in this group):
Iowa
Michigan
Michigan State
USC
Nebraska
Wisconsin

yoda.jpg

Patience young padawan!

It took us 4 years to get into this mess, it might take us a couple of years to get out. I would love to see us go to a bowl game this year, but I'm not counting on it.

Here are the first season records of our last few coaches...

Wacker: 2-9
Mason: 3-9
Brewster: 1-11

I think a 5-7 record would be a huge step in the right direction and am more excited about 2012, 13 and 14 than I am about 2011.

This isn't an attempt to be a Debbie Downer, I just hope that fans' aren't bridling Kill will unfair expectations.

7-5 would be a success, no matter where the 7 wins come from. The more likely best scenario is 6-6, with perhaps an unexpected win (Iowa) or unexpected loss (Miami-Ohio) thrown in somewhere?

I agree with this. I'm really very confident that we will win five. Three non-conference games, and I think we'll find two BT wins somewhere. I'm hoping we can surprise get to six wins and a bowl; that's my best-case scenario. Anything more, and that means we either win all of our "matchup games" or, failing that, we pull off not just one pretty major upset, but two.

View attachment 1094

Patience young padawan!

It took us 4 years to get into this mess, it might take us a couple of years to get out. I would love to see us go to a bowl game this year, but I'm not counting on it.

Here are the first season records of our last few coaches...

Wacker: 2-9
Mason: 3-9
Brewster: 1-11

I think a 5-7 record would be a huge step in the right direction and am more excited about 2012, 13 and 14 than I am about 2011.

This isn't an attempt to be a Debbie Downer, I just hope that fans' aren't bridling Kill will unfair expectations.

I'm thinking better then (5-7) I'm saying (7-5) because this is is not the same team as last year - it's so much better...so many new additions. So if they are (5-7) there is no Debbie Downer because it's an improvement. But it's glass half full nad (7-5) going into Saturday.

And why can't we beat Iowa?

I'm not saying we can't, it just seemed to be a consensus of the board that Iowa would be a win, and I don't understand why. I would say that we have a good shot at winning, but I am not predicting a win.

I would say that we have a good shot at winning, but I am not predicting a win.

I am predicting a win. But then again, I'm predicting that we win every game this year. Some predictions or more realistic than others.

If they spring the upset on Saturday... 7-5 will suddenly seem possible. A loss, even a close one, to the heavily favored Trojans will mean I'll stick with my 3-9 prediction.

The beautiful thin about late August/early September is that everyone's favorite team is undefeated. I love the optimism and the spirit. Rah!

Wow base the whole season on a first game loss even a close loss? Between (3-7) and (7-5) in your mind. Where is your mind? No insult!!

If they spring the upset on Saturday... 7-5 will suddenly seem possible. A loss, even a close one, to the heavily favored Trojans will mean I'll stick with my 3-9 prediction.

I have no problem with pegging us to beat Iowa, it will be at home and the guys will be keyed up, because they know they can win.

I have a problem with it because people think Northwestern is a pushover for some reason. We weren't able to beat Purdue in our own house last season, and it's been a crow's age since we last won a game at Ross Ade.

I'd love a 7-5 season but I think 5-7 is more realistic this year. In the words of Principal Skinner: "Prove me wrong, children!"
They played at Purdue last season.

I'd take away the wins against Iowa and Northwestern, maybe we get one of those, but it will be hard

Parski1 said:
L @ #25 USC
W vs New Mexico State
W vs Miami (OH)
W vs North Dakota State
L @ Michigan
W vs Purdue
L vs #10 Nebraska
W vs Iowa
L @ #17 Michigan State
L vs #11 Wisconsin
W @ Northwestern
W vs Illinois

I like it. I especially like the idea of our QB running for 150 in a win in Evanston after watching Kafka and Persa do it to us the last couple years.

Wow base the whole season on a first game loss even a close loss? Between (3-7) and (7-5) in your mind. Where is your mind? No insult!!

If the first week opponent was North Dakota State, I wouldn't say that. But, the first week opponent is more at the level of an above average Big 10 team. My expectations for the Gophers this year is that they will be tougher and more able to stay in games but that won't necessarily translate into wins. A win against a team like USC will go long way toward settng the tone for the season in the very emotional game of football. A loss is expected, and if it occurs I think the team will continue to march toward its likely end. I'm not saying the team will be suddenly that much better with a win. I'm saying the win would surprise me and lead me to believe that I have underestimated their chances this year, thus the dramatic change in my opinion on where they'd end up this year.

I think the fact that the players have learned some discipline and fundamentals will get them 4 wins, 3 Non-Conference and Illinois. Getting 2 wins from the Purdue/NW/Iowa games would be huge.
IMO 4-6 wins would be a good start for Kill.

Here is why I do: #!, If we win, I get to meet a female Hog in the Mens' Room. #2, If we lose, I get to meet that female Hog in the Ladies' room. #3, If we tie, the Hog and I meet in the middle. :)

I'm pulling for 13-0, but realistically, Miami OH scares the crap out of me. If we play a solid, fundamental game with USC and handle NMSU like we should, I could see Miami surprising us. Miami was not a bad football team last year, and a lot of us, including myself, are putting a lot of faith in Gray performing as well as or better than Weber did. How we perform in that game will, in my opinion, be the primary predictor of how the rest of the season goes.

If the Redhawks comes into the game with a win or close loss to Missouri and we win by a 2+ touchdowns, I would say 6-7 wins is a slid possibility. Any victory within that, we get 4-5 total wins. If we lose, I say we beat NDSU and maybe Illinois, that's it. No science to it, just uneducated, Iron Range speculation.

If they come here and beat us after losing terribly to Missouri, its going to be a long season and this website is going to be more toxic than the Love Canal.

I think 5-7 or 6-6 is more realistic, but I also think there is way more talent on this team than when Mason or Brewster took over. May not be the depth that would be desired but I like the team. Barring huge number of injuries I am optimistic.

I'll repeat what Frozen said, DON'T FORGET ABOUT MIAMI (OH)

They went 10-4 last year and return 17 starters!!! It kinda seems as if everyone is just writing us in as an automatic win that game. I googled Miami Ohio returning starters just to see how many they had (17) and also found on the same website that the website, Orlando Sentinel, ranks Miami (OH) 41st in the nation and the Gophers 96th.

I don't know why everyone thinks we will beat Miami(OH), much less Iowa.

Agreed. I think the Miami game could be key game, assuming we beat NMSU and lose to USC. To get to those 5 or 6 wins we will need 3 non con wins.

Top Bottom