6 game losing streak.

BATL94

Reaction score
This six game losing streak to Iowa has been so hard to watch. Especially when you consider that we have significantly better talent and coaches than them. Really hope we can turn it around Saturday.

This six game losing streak to Iowa has been so hard to watch. Especially when you consider that we have significantly better talent and coaches than them. Really hope we can turn it around Saturday.
Huh? I would say we probably had better talent in 2019, but otherwise I'm not sure this is true.

Gophers themselves have gotten more talented over the past few years, but not sure if we've been more talented than Iowa.
Also, funny to think that in '10 and '11 we were dreadful but somehow managed to win Floyd twice with a way less talented team and with less talent than Iowa.

We had more talent than Iowa in 2019, and maybe do this year. But that'd be it

We had more talent than Iowa in 2019, and maybe do this year. But that'd be it
I'm not sure about 2019. That 2019 team had Alaric Jackson and Tristan Wirfs on their O-Line. Ihmir Smith-Marsette the Vikings rookie at WR and they still had their current RB Goodson. On D-Line they had Daviyon Nixon, A.J. Epenesa, Chauncey Gholston who are all in the NFL. They also had some other players who I can't remember on those teams who are pros now. I think our talent is better than them now and for the better part of the last six years. But the 2019 Iowa team was actually pretty good. They blew out USC if I remember right and went 10-3.

I think what's been really tough about them is they've been games that sort of knocked the wind out of our sails.
  • 2012 - Entered the game at 4-0
  • 2013 - Entered the game at 4-0
  • 2015 - Obviously different circumstances but it was a gut punch considering how close it was and we had an opportunity to play spoiler. Winning that or the Michigan game would have put that season in a different light.
  • 2016 - Entered the game 3-1, chance to bounce back after that Penn State OT loss.
  • 2018 - Entered the game 3-1.
  • 2019 - Entered the game 9-0. Still a great season but considering how close it was, missed opportunity.
I think it also is more noticeable because the Gophers have won against Wisconsin, Penn State and Nebraska for the Axe, Bell and Chair more recently. So it becomes more noticeable that Floyd is still gone.

I'm not sure about 2019. That 2019 team had Alaric Jackson and Tristan Wirfs on their O-Line. Ihmir Smith-Marsette the Vikings rookie at WR and they still had their current RB Goodson. On D-Line they had Daviyon Nixon, A.J. Epenesa, Chauncey Gholston who are all in the NFL. They also had some other players who I can't remember on those teams who are pros now. I think our talent is better than them now and for the better part of the last six years. But the 2019 Iowa team was actually pretty good. They blew out USC if I remember right and went 10-3.
Agreed Iowa in 2019 was a good team, nothing shameful about that loss, as disappointing as it was.

However you pretty much contradicted your initial post where you said we have had more talent, by then disputing the only year where we may have had as much or more talent.

Agreed Iowa in 2019 was a good team, nothing shameful about that loss, as disappointing as it was.

However you pretty much contradicted your initial post where you said we have had more talent, by then disputing the only year where we may have had as much or more talent.
Hmm. Maybe. I definitely feel that we have more talent this year than they do. I just feel that the 2019 Iowa team was their best in this six year span. Even better than their 2015 team

The Gophers have traditionally lagged Iowa a lot more on NFL Draft Day than on National Signing Day.

That gap has been closing, but even our really good teams didn't put out as much NFL talent as Iowa. They still typically have 1-2 guys in Rd1 or 2 most seasons.

Not sure how you want to quantity "talent" but if you want to relate it to current NFL players on active rosters:

Iowa #11 with 35 players
Minnesota #64 with 11 players

I think it's a stretch to say Minnesota has been more talented over the last 6 seasons.

They also have Kirk Ferentz. He knows how to win with or without talent.

Iowa was a very good team in 2019, not disputing that. I just think we were more talented.

Sooner or later, the pig through will break.

We will get a victory when most do not expect it. That will make the smell of manure sweeter.

I think what's been really tough about them is they've been games that sort of knocked the wind out of our sails.
  • 2015 - Obviously different circumstances but it was a gut punch considering how close it was and we had an opportunity to play spoiler. Winning that or the Michigan game would have put that season in a different light.
  • 2016 - Entered the game 3-1, chance to bounce back after that Penn State OT loss.
  • 2019 - Entered the game 9-0. Still a great season but considering how close it was, missed opportunity.
I think it also is more noticeable because the Gophers have won against Wisconsin, Penn State and Nebraska for the Axe, Bell and Chair more recently. So it becomes more noticeable that Floyd is still gone.
He's not gone forever. He's kidnapped and held for ransom against his will. Minnesota needs to stand for freedom and bring him back. If not, we tear down their goalposts just for spite!

The 6 game losing streak is something that has never happened to Minnesota in the history of the program. After winning in 2000, Minnesota has lost 16(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) of the last 20 to Iowa. The University should be absolutely embarrassed.

As far as recent times Minnesota absolutely should have won:

2016- Iowa loses at home to NDSU (yes Minnesota hasn't won in Iowa City since 1999, but NDSU has a win there from 2016). They then lose at home to Northwestern 38-31. They then go to Rutgers and win by the score of 14-7. Then next game? at Minnesota. The result? Iowa 14 Minnesota 7

2019- Perfect season ruined. No reason to go in to it. Absolute disaster of a start. Not ready to play. Some classic PJ baffling in game decisions. Tyler's drop.

2020- Iowa comes in to Minnesota with a first year QB 1-2 on the season with a home loss to Northwestern and a road loss to Purdue. Minnesota favored by many to win the West should have revenge on their mind for 2019. Instead it was one of the worst performances of PJ's tenure with Iowa trouncing Minnesota 35-7. Iowa rubs it in by calling all their timeouts in the waning seconds as Minnesota tries to avoid a shutout.

Nobody should call this a rivaly until Minnesota actually shows it is one. Win the damn game this year. Nobody in the program has won the pig even once and very few students (football players or otherwise) were even born the last time Minnesota left Iowa City with Floyd. Until I see otherwise, I will assume Minnesota will play one of their worst games of the year and Iowa one of their best. Prove me wrong, break the cycle, and win the damn game.

The 6 game losing streak is something that has never happened to Minnesota in the history of the program. After winning in 2000, Minnesota has lost 16(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) of the last 20 to Iowa. The University should be absolutely embarrassed.

As far as recent times Minnesota absolutely should have won:

2016- Iowa loses at home to NDSU (yes Minnesota hasn't won in Iowa City since 1999, but NDSU has a win there from 2016). They then lose at home to Northwestern 38-31. They then go to Rutgers and win by the score of 14-7. Then next game? at Minnesota. The result? Iowa 14 Minnesota 7

2019- Perfect season ruined. No reason to go in to it. Absolute disaster of a start. Not ready to play. Some classic PJ baffling in game decisions. Tyler's drop.

2020- Iowa comes in to Minnesota with a first year QB 1-2 on the season with a home loss to Northwestern and a road loss to Purdue. Minnesota favored by many to win the West should have revenge on their mind for 2019. Instead it was one of the worst performances of PJ's tenure with Iowa trouncing Minnesota 35-7. Iowa rubs it in by calling all their timeouts in the waning seconds as Minnesota tries to avoid a shutout.

Nobody should call this a rivaly until Minnesota actually shows it is one. Win the damn game this year. Nobody in the program has won the pig even once and very few students (football players or otherwise) were even born the last time Minnesota left Iowa City with Floyd. Until I see otherwise, I will assume Minnesota will play one of their worst games of the year and Iowa one of their best. Prove me wrong, break the cycle, and win the damn game.
Nailed it.
The game plan in 2019 was just….

you sure know a lot about iowa for being a gopher's fan :unsure:

Good narrative! What also makes it more noticeable is that we are 7-1 against Purdue since the East-West divisional alignment and 4-3 against Northwestern in that time frame while Iowa is 4-4 against Purdue (1-4 in the last five) and 4-4 against Northwestern in that period. Iowa is not Wisconsin. They haven't dominated everyone else in the division like they've dominated us in recent years.

He's not gone forever. He's kidnapped and held for ransom against his will. Minnesota needs to stand for freedom and bring him back. If not, we tear down their goalposts just for spite!
Haha -- we could be the first team in NCAA history to tear down the other team's goalposts at their place -- after we lost!!!

Nailed it.
The game plan in 2019 was just….
You thought we threw too much early?

9/12 first down plays in the first half were throws
5/10 second down plays in the first half were throws

I remember the game as the gophers got some negative plays via sacks and penalties in the first half that caused them to not finish drives. Down 20-3 at half. Couldn’t complete the comeback against a top 15 team with a very good defense. Best senior player dropped a pass on 4th down that would’ve put team in position to win game late.

The Gophers have traditionally lagged Iowa a lot more on NFL Draft Day than on National Signing Day.

That gap has been closing, but even our really good teams didn't put out as much NFL talent as Iowa. They still typically have 1-2 guys in Rd1 or 2 most seasons.

Starting with the 2019 NFL draft, the College Football News website has compiled scores for schools--7 points for a first round pick, 6 points for a second round pick, etc.

I killed some time adding up the scores for B1G West teams, mostly to see how delusional husker fans are when they claim their roster has more "talent."

Points by school for the last three NFL drafts:

Iowa: 22 20 16 Total: 58
Whiskey: 14 18 7 Total: 39
Minn: 3 14 12 Total: 29
NW: 3 0 17 Total: 20
Purdue: 0 5 10 Total: 15
Illinois: 1 0. 8 Total: 9
Nebby: 0 3. 4 Total: 7

First we have to get ahead during the game then we can hope to still be ahead at the final whistle. PJ has never been ahead of Iowa.

Top Bottom