5 Games To Go....What Does Our Record End Up Being?

Wrong again there, sport. The Gophers were much better in most statistical categories with Nolen last year, just as they were much better in most statistical categories with Mbakwe this year. They were, by definition, better. They would have been better, on average, in the latter part of the season had neither player been injured. Notice how I never stated that they would've won more games (though they almost certainly would have). You have a problem with words, don't you?

And, while we're on the subject, making predictions on things that haven't happened or never could cannot, by definition, be lies. In case you hadn't noticed, I was being sarcastic with the use of the word "fact" to be humorous. Obviously, predictions cannot be facts, also by definition. Those who aren't simpletons can grasp the difference. On the other hand, taking incorrect, verifiable information, and presenting it as fact, is by definition, lying. I really should be charging you a fee for all of the free education I'm giving you today.

No, it was just a lie. No more no less.

8-10, and Gophs MUST beat NWU to attain the eight.

A loss to NWU puts 6-12 in the realm.

However, now that I've enjoyed a beverage, and assuming Gophs handle NWU, and they should, 9-9 is attainable, if they get over the homecooking blues and surprise the bladgers.

Winning at Northwestern won't be easy, especially if they play more of the 1-3-1 defense. Crawford is a great player in addition to Shurna and i see him being very aggressive because he laid an egg against us in the last game.

Winning at wisconsin would be a nice treat, i just don't see it happening.

7-11. I don't see anything better

Could go anywhere between 5-13 and 7-11. For me, the most concerning part is that they seem to know they're not a good team and play like it. If they get anywhere over 7-11, I'll be surprised.

Could go anywhere between 5-13 and 7-11. For me, the most concerning part is that they seem to know they're not a good team and play like it. If they get anywhere over 7-11, I'll be surprised.

I don't see that at all. If that were the case, then they would have just given up after the 20-0 run against Ohio St. I think they lack confidence at times, and when a few things go bad, then they get this "here we go again" mindset. Huge letdowns for parts of the game are the reason we're on the outside looking in right now in my opinion.

I know this doesn't change the outcome or anything, but we essentially played with, if not outplayed Ohio St. for about 32 minutes Tuesday. It's just the 8 minutes when we played bad, was really bad.

In the past six losses, every game we've gone through stretches where we were severely outplayed.
Ohio St.: 20-0 run in 1st half
Wisconsin: 20-9 run at end of 1st half and beginning of 2nd (includes 8-0 run)
@Iowa: Down 17-5 to start the game, then outscored 9-0 to end game
@Michigan St.: 16-5 run in the 1st half
Purdue: 12-0 run to end the 1st half
Iowa: 10-0 run to end the 1st half

It's interesting to note, most of the bad stretches seem to happen in the 1st half. Don't really know what that means, though.

It's interesting to note, most of the bad stretches seem to happen in the 1st half. Don't really know what that means, though.

Yeah, in particular towards the end of the first half. I was thinking about this awhile back...tough to pinpoint why that's a trouble spot.

I don't see that at all. If that were the case, then they would have just given up after the 20-0 run against Ohio St. I think they lack confidence at times, and when a few things go bad, then they get this "here we go again" mindset. Huge letdowns for parts of the game are the reason we're on the outside looking in right now in my opinion.

I know this doesn't change the outcome or anything, but we essentially played with, if not outplayed Ohio St. for about 32 minutes Tuesday. It's just the 8 minutes when we played bad, was really bad.

In the past six losses, every game we've gone through stretches where we were severely outplayed.
Ohio St.: 20-0 run in 1st half
Wisconsin: 20-9 run at end of 1st half and beginning of 2nd (includes 8-0 run)
@Iowa: Down 17-5 to start the game, then outscored 9-0 to end game
@Michigan St.: 16-5 run in the 1st half
Purdue: 12-0 run to end the 1st half
Iowa: 10-0 run to end the 1st half

I hope you're correct. I have my doubts however. When you consistently play bad to horrible basketball in the first half of games and then all of the sudden a light goes on that says "oh, I guess I better play like I mean it now", I worry about the mindset that is in play. Certainly, there is a lack of focus on this club. In any case, I still would be surprised if they go anything above 7-11. If I had to venture a guess, I'd say 6-12 is most likely.

More to do with Ohio St letting up after putting a 20-0 run on a team's home court. Gophers made a couple of runs but after the 20-0 run Ohio St was really in cruise control the rest of the game.

More to do with Ohio St letting up after putting a 20-0 run on a team's home court. Gophers made a couple of runs but after the 20-0 run Ohio St was really in cruise control the rest of the game.

+19

BS. They were thrown off by the zone and went 3-4 minute stretches without scoring. Outside of Buford, they had no answer on the perimeter as they are not a jump shooting team.

In what ways did they go into cruise control? Did they stop playing hard? They certainly didn't take out their best players. Sullinger, Thomas, and Buford all played 35+ minutes.

If Minnesota beats NW and Nebraska and steals one of the other three games I would be delighted. That would put them squarely on the bubble of they win one conference tournament contest.

BS. They were thrown off by the zone and went 3-4 minute stretches without scoring. Outside of Buford, they had no answer on the perimeter as they are not a jump shooting team.

They they settled for jump shots because they were at all times in complete control of the game.

In what ways did they go into cruise control? Did they stop playing hard? They certainly didn't take out their best players. Sullinger, Thomas, and Buford all played 35+ minutes.

Matta plays his top guys the majority of minutes. What changed after the run was Ohio St's defensive intensity, shot selection and their over attitude about the game. If you think teams can't get over confident going into a game or during a game and don't put out their best effort you are absolutely wrong.

As much as I would prefer not to be, I'm in the 7-11 camp and probably NIT. Its tough to be real optimistic with this group - they are very inconsistent.

I would have loved to see a box and one on buford against Ohio St, plugged the middle and made on of the other players beat us from outside. I've never seen Tubby run a box and one so I didn't have my hopes up.

Top Bottom