45% of players who entered the portal this year will not play NCAA basketball in the upcoming 2023-24 season.

How many of those players would have "played" if they hadn't left their previous teams?

And frankly, how many of those players were "pushed out" by the coach (possibly a new coach coming in)? Would've had their schollys pulled?

I get the point of the OP and not trying to muddy the water. I do agree that "too many" kids entered the portal and "too many" of them were trying to "move up" when they shouldn't have. But I bet that's not the whole story for a lot of these kids.

How many of those players would have "played" if they hadn't left their previous teams?

And frankly, how many of those players were "pushed out" by the coach (possibly a new coach coming in)? Would've had their schollys pulled?

I get the point of the OP and not trying to muddy the water. I do agree that "too many" kids entered the portal and "too many" of them were trying to "move up" when they shouldn't have. But I bet that's not the whole story for a lot of these kids.
If the players union had the interests of the whole in mind, transfer would be more difficult and running players off for non behavioral reasons would be impossible. Free transfers benefit a relatively few of the scholarship players in d 1. Getting run off is the price of freedom and flexibility they pay.

Well said.
No sympathy for them whatsoever.

You (players) wanted free agency, you got it.
I tend to agree. Why should a school be expected to pay for your schooling if you can't cut it anymore for the team/program. Schools should be able to find the best 13 scholarship players they can find every year. It's cutthroat and free agency, but I think it levels the playing field a ton.

The headline is clickbait. This a list of those in the portal and their new homes in 2023 as of April 19th. High percentage of players with new homes. Low percentage of guys with DNP behind 2022 or zero points per game.
By September, I'm sure many more found homes.
2023 Portal Homes

Does that 45% include players that are sitting out a year due to a second transfer?

Top Bottom