4 Ala. football players arrested after robberies

highwayman

Knows Less Than Coaching Staff
Reaction score
MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) -- Three University of Alabama football players have been charged with knocking students unconscious and stealing their wallets, while a fourth player has been charged with using a stolen debit card, officials said Tuesday.

In case you are wondering, 4 star, 4 star, 4 star, 5 star.

They'll get suspended for their big Georgia St. game next year.

4 years, 4 years, 4 years, and 5 years might be the appropriate sentences. What a bunch of punks. Using a stolen credit card in a vending machine???

I agree but if we have learned anything from the other helmet schools with recent troubles, we know they'll probably get nothing more than a slap on the wrist and some harsh words from the NCAA.

Maybe the Montgomery P.D. could have helped the Domers in Miami in early January. At least they were able to handcuff the Tide.

p.s. is it now the Crime-son Tide?

Hey, that's why you oversign in the SEC. You just can't see things like this coming. It's really the only way a smart team can protect itself.

This is a no brainier. Kicked off the team. There should be absolutely no tolerance for stuff like this. Nick Saban should be embarrassed and needs to send a strong message. Ya, real class program with real class young men.

Maybe the Montgomery P.D. could have helped the Domers in Miami in early January. At least they were able to handcuff the Tide.

p.s. is it now the Crime-son Tide?

Well, seeing that the Notre Dame head coach should be in jail for negligent homicide, it might have evened things out for the rap-sheet bowl.

As for this particular crime, it just goes to show you that regardless of 40-yard dash time (hand or electronically timed), the cops are usually faster (at least metaphorically).

if saban kicks them off the team they go to FL. we didn't want a BT team to take our no stars AJ Barker.

Could Kill free up some schollies for one or more of these kids? I sure hope so.

Could Kill free up some schollies for one or more of these kids? I sure hope so.

Then we would have our well-deserved quota of 4 and 5 star recruits, which is a necessity in order to win.

Maybe, just maybe, Kill can recognize a kid who is potential trouble, and says "No Thanks, good luck."

Maybe, just maybe, Kill can recognize a kid who is potential trouble, and says "No Thanks, good luck."

Not to sound too snide or cynical Dr. (and I agree this it's a matter of degree), but these are teen-age testosterone factories we're talking about. They are all potential trouble. I think it's more about having a system in place to keep them focused on why they are there.

He whiffed on Ge'Shun Harris. You can't predict these things all the time. You pretty much just bring 'em in and hope and pray they don't screw up.

I'm awaiting the argument (from those who wish college sports were really professional) that this incident is an example of why we need to pay college athletes. To me it's a good example of why schools should be screening for bad character no matter what the star rating is.

I wonder if all 4 of them suffer from anxiety disorder.

He whiffed on Ge'Shun Harris. You can't predict these things all the time. You pretty much just bring 'em in and hope and pray they don't screw up.

The difference between Alabama and Kill may be that Ge'Shun Harris is gone. We will find out whether that is true or not hopefully soon.

If they are willing to commit assault, they are not worth saving as student athletes. They may be salvageable as people, but only if they lose their scholarships and understand there are really serious consequeces for physical violence.

I'm awaiting the argument (from those who wish college sports were really professional) that this incident is an example of why we need to pay college athletes. To me it's a good example of why schools should be screening for bad character no matter what the star rating is.

Sometimes there is no indication of bad character. I had a high school classmate who was areal nice guy, 3.8 GPA student, played sports, and even volunteered from time to time in the community. He was in jail by the time he was 22-23 and I think has been there several times now.

I think the biggest thing is what coaches do after the fact.

A little unrelated to this issue but you don't honestly believe coaches recruit solely based on the star system do you? I have seen similar comments made in regards to Brewster recruiting based only on the number of stars a guy has by his name. Coaches pay attention to the recruiting services but they don't base their decisions off of them. They do everything they can to assess character and morals but there really is only so much they can do in that regard.

I don't know if any of these guys had issues in high school but if they had kept their nose clean legally then really what can you expect Alabama, or any school for that matter, to do in regards to knowing they were likely to pull something stupid like this?

A little unrelated to this issue but you don't honestly believe coaches recruit solely based on the star system do you? I have seen similar comments made in regards to Brewster recruiting based only on the number of stars a guy has by his name. Coaches pay attention to the recruiting services but they don't base their decisions off of them. They do everything they can to assess character and morals but there really is only so much they can do in that regard.

I don't know if any of these guys had issues in high school but if they had kept their nose clean legally then really what can you expect Alabama, or any school for that matter, to do in regards to knowing they were likely to pull something stupid like this?

It's a couple years old, but...

http://proxy.espn.go.com/ncf/blog/_/name/feldman_bruce/id/6045571

From @RowlffDogg Why doesn't the national media pay any attention to the practice of oversigning?

I've actually written about the subject several times and helped on a recent "Outside the Lines" segment on the issue. I was also the commentator discussing it in detail right after the near-10 minute piece aired.

One of the points I brought up on the show was about the practice of schools rewarding coaches with bonuses for signing a "top" class (either top 5, top 10 or top 25), or for landing a certain number of four-star players. With coaches having even more of an incentive to meet certain quotas and rankings, they often try to sign certain recruits that they know might have a very tough time qualifying academically.

I wrote about the "Sign-and-Place" method in "Meat Market," and for schools that deal heavily with junior college recruits, that also factors in. The process is this: Sign the shaky four-star prospect so that you can up your recruiting ranking, impress other prospective recruits, appease your fan base (and, in turn, the administration), increase your own chance of landing that recruiting bonus, and then send the players who can't get in academically to a junior college as if it's a farm system. If the kid turns out to be a complete knucklehead or flops on the field, you forget about him. If not, you didn't take up a spot for two years and then the juco coach, who is thrilled you sent him a talented player, has protected him for you and sends you back a more ready-to-play, developed prospect.

To read the rest of Bruce Feldman's take on oversigning, as well as his answers to questions on Florida State, LSU and the latest recruiting buzz, you need to be an ESPN Insider.

No big deal for Bama. Just opens up scholarships for the kids they oversigned. Next man up is probably just as good.

Top Bottom