3 takeaways from Minnesota's bounce-back win over Louisiana

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Bricker:

Before Minnesota takes on Michigan, here are three takeaways from Saturday’s action:

Zach Evans shines in Darius Taylor’s absence​

Zach Evans filled in for the injured Darius Taylor on Saturday. Taylor missed the game with a leg injury.

It’s no easy task being the understudy for the B1G’s leading rusher. Taylor led the conference through four games with 532 yards rushing heading into Week 5. While it’s easy to write off the performance since it was against Louisiana, Evans still showed up when his team needed him.

Minnesota offense struggles outside of Zach Evans, Daniel Jackson​

The Minnesota offense outside of Zach Evans and Daniel Jackson looked rough. The Golden Gophers are dealing with not having Tanner Morgan and Mohamed Ibrahim this season.

Athan Kaliakmanis managed the game and did enough to earn the win. If it hadn’t been for Jackson, Kaliakmanis would’ve had under 100 yards passing.

There’s no telling who will take control of the B1G West with as wild as it’s been in recent years. Minnesota’s offense will need to improve in the long run as more B1G teams will be on the schedule.

Defense arrives at Huntingdon Bank Stadium in second half​

Minnesota fans were able to breathe a sigh of relief after only being up 21-17 going into halftime. The defense finally woke up and started to take advantage of the Louisiana offense. The Golden Gophers allowed just seven points in the second half.

Tyler Nubin and Jack Henderson both had interceptions. Veteran leadership led the way in the win.

Nubin made a great catch on the sidelines to take the ball away from quarterback Zeon Chriss.

Go Gophers!!

PJ needs to trust Athan in the passing game more! He's been more efficient the past two games and seems to be finding a groove with Jackson and Crooms. Hopefully, we start to see 25-30 attempts per game the rest of the way.

PJ needs to trust Athan in the passing game more! He's been more efficient the past two games and seems to be finding a groove with Jackson and Crooms. Hopefully, we start to see 25-30 attempts per game the rest of the way.
Highly unlikely he will ever do that. He hasn’t changed in years. We passed 14 times yesterday. We will continue to be service academy level of run-pass balance.

Highly unlikely he will ever do that. He hasn’t changed in years. We passed 14 times yesterday. We will continue to be service academy level of run-pass balance.
I wonder if the addition of USC, UCLA, Oregon and Washington will change what teams have to do to be successful. They may force teams to throw more as they bring an open game with a lot more passing. I watched some of these games yesterday and I thought, "The Gophers aren't even close to this style of play."

Athan Kaliakmanis managed the game and did enough to earn the win. If it hadn’t been for Jackson, Kaliakmanis would’ve had under 100 yards passing.

What the hell does this statement mean? If it wasn’t for AK, Jackson would’ve had zero yards.
Why would you ever take your #1 receiver out of your QBs’ stats?

I wonder if the addition of USC, UCLA, Oregon and Washington will change what teams have to do to be successful. They may force teams to throw more as they bring an open game with a lot more passing. I watched some of these games yesterday and I thought, "The Gophers aren't even close to this style of play."
By that logic are we going to force those teams to run more?

I think so. Things are going to get tougher in the redesigned B10. Fleck is going to have to adapt.

Per Bricker:

Minnesota offense struggles outside of Zach Evans, Daniel Jackson
The Minnesota offense outside of Zach Evans and Daniel Jackson looked rough. The Golden Gophers are dealing with not having Tanner Morgan and Mohamed Ibrahim this season.

There’s no telling who will take control of the B1G West with as wild as it’s been in recent years. Minnesota’s offense will need to improve in the long run as more B1G teams will be on the schedule.

As others mentioned, the statement that the offense was "rough" outside of the key players is an odd take (I replaced the word idiotic with odd to be nice). Like, really odd. All sports revolve around key players.

As others mentioned, the statement that the offense was "rough" outside of the key players is an odd take (I replaced the word idiotic with odd to be nice). Like, really odd. All sports revolve around key players.
I'd take a team that plays with coordination among all the players and doesn't make mistakes over a team with a couple of superstars. Especially in football.

Utah has arguably been the best team in the PAC the past five or so years and fields teams that are similar to many BIG teams with tough defense, a balanced offense (usually in the bottom half in passing and top of running yards in the PAC), and generally tough disciplined play. I think the new PAC teams have just as much adjusting to do as BIG teams if not more. History shows that new entrants to the BIG have had less success than prior conferences. It will be fun to watch.

By that logic are we going to force those teams to run more?
Perhaps, especially if they are coming in here in late November in a 25 degree temp with 20 mph winds and sleet. But think about it -- if a certain offense is more successful - they could absolutely dominate the scene and revolutionize the league. Oregon or USC for example could come in and blow the defenses here out of the water with 450 yds passing, forcing the Big Ten teams to adapt or risk being run off the field. I think you will see a continued trend to more of an NFL type of offense that we are seeing. I do not think the Gopher offense that we have seen the last couple weeks is going to fly next year. You better be able to adapt.

Top Bottom