2nd commit?

Curseislifted33

Reaction score
antoine lewis from maywood, Ill. cany anyone confirm???? GopherLady??

6'0", 185 lb CB with 4.3 speed....fine with me!

That 4.3 listed speed makes me LOL. No way does he run that fast.

I'd go ahead and assume it's him

Under his rivals profile it has the same news clipping on the front page. Welcome Antione!

Welcome, Antonie!

Sorry, SuperGoph...I actually just finished up a meeting with my boss, so I was out of the loop tonight.

Always great to get our next recruiting class rolling!

Off of youtube. Quite an impressive catch at about 4:20, definitely looks like a burner and someone who might get a long look on offense.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hionrbFJ1Gc

Wow I'm impressed. I like his swagger and his physicality...and obviously he can fly too! More than anything though, I love that plays physical and likes to hit. I have a feeling he might be one of the best DB's (I think he could play corner or safety) to come out of here in a long time. I like him at corner with his speed, but he's already got good size (weight-wise), though his lack of height probably makes him an ideal corner.

Any idea how many stars?

He seems to have nice hands but in my opinion his future is definitely on defense. Gotta love the corners like to hit people. I kind of doubt the 4.3 speed though, either way very solid start to the 2010 class!

Nice athlete...

Seems a bit raw yet but could have great upside; some of those highlights showed great speed, others an awareness of where the ball is on the field. Glad he's a Golden Gopher!

By the way, his QB seemed like quite an athlete in some of those throws.

Also, could he be a part of a package deal with any other Proviso East/West guys (e.g., Prater)?

Slightly unrelated, after watching this vid, I'm still trying to figure out how Bryant Allen was not a 4* WR.

SEC Speed

Welcome aboard Mr. Lewis!!!!

I'm happy to see that Brewster and others have made top end speed a priority in the secondary.... As PSU and OSU continue to recruit burners, it's imperative that we find Florida type speed to keep up. Lewis and Carter, It has a nice ring to it! :D

Wow I'm impressed. I like his swagger and his physicality...and obviously he can fly too! More than anything though, I love that plays physical and likes to hit. I have a feeling he might be one of the best DB's (I think he could play corner or safety) to come out of here in a long time. I like him at corner with his speed, but he's already got good size (weight-wise), though his lack of height probably makes him an ideal corner.

Any idea how many stars?

Judging from the guys we brought in last year, I would guess he'll end up being 3 stars. I didn't think his video looked any better than Kerry Lewis or Bryant Allen. He definitely looks more like a corner than a safety to me. He can come up and make tackles like an Antoine Winfield but I think he would be out of place at safety.

If those numbers are even close to accurate, you have to like this pickup. You can't coach size and speed.

They're not. I'm guessing he's really 5'10" and about a 4.55 or a 4.6. Thats plenty fast and plenty of size for a CB

They're not. I'm guessing he's really 5'10" and about a 4.55 or a 4.6. Thats plenty fast and plenty of size for a CB

How could you possibly know that from a blurry youtube video?

I think 5'10" might be a good guess

either that or Illinois has become land of the giants. When looking for height from video, leg length is a good guide. Shadows and size comparisons to others. He doesn't look tall or short when standing by other players of similar positions, so 5'10" or 5'9" is probably close. What I saw that I thought was interesting was that he was not the deep man on kickoff returns. How fast or shifty is that guy?

Here's a "D'oh!" from ESPN:

"Minnesota has landed its second commitment for the Class of 2010 in cornerback Antoine Lewis of Proviso East (Maywood, Ill.).

The 5-foot-10, 195-pound prospect has also drawn interest from Arizona, Purdue and Northern Illinois.

Lewis joins linebacker Konrad Zagzebski of DC Everest (Schofield, Wis.) as 2010 pledges for the Badgers."

:confused:

I agree with Oleboy. The 5'10" seems reasonable but there is no way that he is 195. I can tell that from a blurry YouTube video because I was 5'10" 175 lbs coming out of HS and he definitely does not look bigger than I was. I'm guessing he is anywhere from 165 lbs to 180 lbs. That height and size is fine from someone coming in as a freshman and he still has another year to lift and get stronger.

On the speed, if you watched the NFL combine or just checked out the 40 times of the players at the combine (the best players in college football after 3-5 years of college strength & conditioning) you wouldn't believe it either. Malcolm Jenkins from Ohio State, the winner of the Thorpe Award as the best DB in college football, ran slightly slower than a 4.5 40. Knowing that and seeing Malcolm Jenkins against college athletes (the best former HS athletes) I just don't believe that a high schooler that looked a little bit faster than his competition is running 2 10'ths of a second faster than Malcolm Jenkins.

What are the percentage of players that are actually built physically that play a outside position? I played @ <180 lbs while being 6', and for the life of me struggled with gaining weight. I only played d3 so I didn't get the full program behind me. So back to my question, do most of these secondary type recruits weigh out <180?

CB's tend to go smaller than safeties

I was right at 6' and 200# and was a safety at a DII school and was considered small, but the coach really liked tall and big safetys. The corners were all between 5'8" and 6' A few were less then 180, but almost all were well under 200. Speed was the real key. That was 20 years ago, but I can't imagine a lot of college CB's going well in excess of 225#. Kids are bigger and stronger, but speed is still king. I have noticed that taller corners are more common with all the tall receivers now.

Did you gain your weight in college? I struggled gaining weight. I was curious if coming out of high school, if that weight is "normal" with the expectation that a proper program will raise your weight. While coaching football here in mn, I didn't see too many 200+lb skilled position players.

I think this kind of goes back to the recruiting trends. As more and more recruit spread WR's, where the big thing is speed, you need fast and agile corners to counter them. Or at least that's how I see it going.

Because he didn't look like he was faster as a HS junior than 90% of the DBs at the NFL combine. He looked fast but not blazingly (not a word) fast and if he ran a legit 4.3 he'd be smoking. Percy Harvin ran a 4.4 flat at the combine. 4.3 is Tedd Ginn, Deion, Randy Moss speed and this kid ain't that fast. And 6' is large for a corner and he didn't look that big in the video either. High Schools generally give an inch or 2 and about 10 lbs. I was listed at 6' 210 lbs in HS when I was 5'10" 195.

Did you gain your weight in college? I struggled gaining weight. I was curious if coming out of high school, if that weight is "normal" with the expectation that a proper program will raise your weight. While coaching football here in mn, I didn't see too many 200+lb skilled position players.

I don't think your question was directed at me but personally I was about 5'10" 150-160 for most of HS and then my senior year of HS my shoulders started to broaden and I put on about 10 lbs of muscle to get to 170 lbs for my senior year of football. By the time I graduated in the spring I was probably up to 175 lbs -180 lbs and I was really solid with a slight six pack. Then I added the rest of the case in college. :D

To answer more broadly, most of the CB's are in the range of probably 160 lbs to 190 lbs but they usually are coming in to the light side of that scale. Ideally while in college they could get them to 180lbs to 190 lbs while keeping body fat % very low. Teams would take all of the 6'0" 200 lbs corners they can get but the problem is that at that size your hips usually aren't as fluid as a 5'9" or 5'10" athlete that weighs 175-180 and hip fluidity and your quickness in the shuttle matters more than the height/weight measurables.

A sample of NFL Corners:
Antoine Winfield: 5-9 180
Charles Woodson: 6-1 202
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie: 6-2 182

The ideal college safety is going to be 5'10" - 6'2" and 195 lbs to 215 lbs. You'll get the rare athlete that can still run a 4.4 at 225 lbs but for the most part the guys with the athleticism you want are going to come in at 180 or 190 and they'll bulk up in the S&C program.

A sample of NFL Safeties:
Bob Sanders: 5-8 206
Ed Reed 5-11 200
Troy Polamalu 5-10 207
Madieu Williams 6-1 203

A college OLB should be 225-240 and the MLB is going be closer to 230-250 preferably closer to the 240 or 250 while maintaining agility.

Because he didn't look like he was faster as a HS junior than 90% of the DBs at the NFL combine. He looked fast but not blazingly (not a word) fast and if he ran a legit 4.3 he'd be smoking. Percy Harvin ran a 4.4 flat at the combine. 4.3 is Tedd Ginn, Deion, Randy Moss speed and this kid ain't that fast. And 6' is large for a corner and he didn't look that big in the video either. High Schools generally give an inch or 2 and about 10 lbs. I was listed at 6' 210 lbs in HS when I was 5'10" 195.

I think I transformed from 5'10" 170 to 6'0" 185 on the game day programs. I'm sure if 40's were listed I would have gone from 4.9-5.0 to 4.7.

I think this kind of goes back to the recruiting trends. As more and more recruit spread WR's, where the big thing is speed, you need fast and agile corners to counter them. Or at least that's how I see it going.

The type of corner hasn't changed--quickness, speed and agility have always been the most important attributes in a CB--but the number of CB's teams recruit has increased because they have to play nickel & dime more often. The bigger change is in the linebackers that teams recruit. More teams are taking big safeties and putting them at OLB (Simoni Lawrence, Keanon Cooper, Brent Singleton) because they are better playing in space than an OLB that you would have seen in the Big Ten 10 years ago.

Top Bottom