2nd and 3rd string QBs

Why doesn’t PJ play backups? Remember the angst and pain he agonized over picking the starting QB in year one and in year two? He could not make up his mind.
Then once he names you starter...you are not coming off the field until you need a ride to the hospital.
He wants no part of controversy over who should start. If nobody ever sees the backups play there is no controversy for him to answer publicly to.
To build depth, to get guys comfortable in game situations if they are ever needed due to circumstances or build team morale and unity...backups gotta play. Not how PJ does it. Illinois, Iowa and Michigan certainly presented opportunities.

Annexstad lost his starting spot to an injury.

The OL was just gelling together. I wonder what he will be like now with a more experienced line. I guess we will never know unless TM gets hurt and has to sit out a few games. Annexstad, Kramer, and Clark better be ready.

I can see a QB or two transferring between now and the end of next season. Let's hope not two.

It is refreshing to see the level of competition that we are seeing with QBs. Athan is not a sure bet to start. Red shirting will do him good to wonders to his collar bone that he broke in HS. We have to keep recruiting QBs every year.

Being a developmental program, it will benefit QBs who are in their RS Junior or Senior. If they decide to transfer or stay, they have the benefit of being mature and ready.

Last edited:

I tend to agree and wonder how he possibly could be #2, if that is in fact true. I know he came into the game last year at Iowa in the fourth Quarter when Morgan was injured.
One post speculating he's #2 doesn't make it true. Highly doubt anything changed from last year, with ZA at #2, Clark #3, and Kramer #4.

My guess is there will be a lot of players looking to transfer to different teams this year. Far more folks looking for a new team than there will be open slots. It'd actually be good for the gophers if we lost a few fourth strings so we could open up more spots.
I would think the opposite would take place. Teams don't know how many scholarships they will be allowed. Players are guaranteed a scholarship in their current situation. We're in a pandemic, maybe guys would look to transfer closer to home.

I've been pleasantly surprised at the lack of players leaving the Gophers at this point. Maybe that changes by January, but Fleck seems to be recruiting his current roster pretty well.

I wish the Gophers would put in the back-up whenever the game is out of hand .. either winning or losing. P.J. seems to keep his starters in too long during those situations. It would be nice to get them game experience.
PJ would be the manager who lets his starter go 14 innings in a extra innings game.

Entering the Transfer Portal is a double-edged sword. If many other position players decide to do the same, someone can be potentially left without a team. If the QB's aim is to play, dropping down to lower divisions like Streveler did will do some good.

Last edited:

One post speculating he's #2 doesn't make it true. Highly doubt anything changed from last year, with ZA at #2, Clark #3, and Kramer #4.
It’s more than speculation peanut.

Why doesn’t PJ play backups? Remember the angst and pain he agonized over picking the starting QB in year one and in year two? He could not make up his mind.
Then once he names you starter...you are not coming off the field until you need a ride to the hospital.
He wants no part of controversy over who should start. If nobody ever sees the backups play there is no controversy for him to answer publicly to.
To build depth, to get guys comfortable in game situations if they are ever needed due to circumstances or build team morale and unity...backups gotta play. Not how PJ does it. Illinois, Iowa and Michigan certainly presented opportunities.
I would think the opposite about building team morale and unity. If there is controversy in who should play that would possibly tear a locker room apart and create sides.

I would think the opposite about building team morale and unity. If there is controversy in who should play that would possibly tear a locker room apart and create sides.
The players see these guys practice every day. They live with these guys. The players already know what’s what in almost all cases regarding who’s better. That’s not the morale we are talking about.
You bust your butt everyday weight training, studying, eating right, staying out of trouble, practicing, doing nothing but football, football, football and NEVER see the field in an entire season? But now you want me to train my ass again all off season with no certainty I see the field next year either? That kinda morale...no hope.
If you can’t control the players in the locker room, you can’t coach successfully. Taking away incentive isn’t a good way to control things.

They are betting on the 2021 QB, he has been their guy for 2-3 years, they gave up an offer for his brother who has a learning issue. The QB has not played for two years, he broke his collar bone last year. Annestad, Clark, it will be interesting.
I know others already got after this but I find this pretty offensive and felt the need to speak up. "His brother with the learning issue" is a Gopher and by all accounts will be a model citizen for us. This didn't need to be mentioned in this post as it doesn't even have anything to do with AK. I found your posts pimping the TG kid to be amusing and ridiculous, I enjoyed the banter back and forth and found it equally offensive when posters attacked the TG kid personally as well. That being said, you've shown yourself to be at best a terrible evaluator of highschool talent, and now at worst someone who is capable of being incredibly offensive regarding a 19 year old kid. Go lurk on a ST board, you're an embarassment here.

Entering the Transfer Portal is a double-edged sword. If many other position players decide to do the same, someone can be potentially left without a team. If the of a QB aim is to play, dropping down to lower divisions like Streveler did will do some good.
There are about 80 QB's already in the portal. If a school is already comfortable with 2 QB's good luck getting a scholarship.

I know others already got after this but I find this pretty offensive and felt the need to speak up. "His brother with the learning issue" is a Gopher and by all accounts will be a model citizen for us. This didn't need to be mentioned in this post as it doesn't even have anything to do with AK. I found your posts pimping the TG kid to be amusing and ridiculous, I enjoyed the banter back and forth and found it equally offensive when posters attacked the TG kid personally as well. That being said, you've shown yourself to be at best a terrible evaluator of highschool talent, and now at worst someone who is capable of being incredibly offensive regarding a 19 year old kid. Go lurk on a ST board, you're an embarassment here.
You must have a learning problem. Why give up a scholarship to a 2 star player in order to get his brother? They could of used it to add depth on defense.

You must have a learning problem. Why give up a scholarship to a 2 star player in order to get his brother? They could of used it to add depth on defense.
2 star hmm.... 247 shows him as a 3 star top 1,000 player nationally. He also committed before his junior year, which probably affected his offers and/or rating. Even so, he had another power 5 offer, which you should know... are tough to come by.

2 star hmm.... 247 shows him as a 3 star top 1,000 player nationally. He also committed before his junior year, which probably affected his offers and/or rating. Even so, he had another power 5 offer, which you should know... are tough to come by.
He will end up being a special teams player if he is lucky, like Annastad's brother.

Dino isn't a 2 star player, he's a 3 star kid

had offers from several schools. The brothers were never considered a package deal, PJ liked both so offered both

Here is a write up on all recruits, read part on Dino. I don't know how you can't possibly root for kid. I find your attitude towards him pretty disgusting. I get it, your best friend didn't get a gopher offer, sucks for him. Hope he does well at St. Thomas

My guess is there will be a lot of players looking to transfer to different teams this year. Far more folks looking for a new team than there will be open slots. It'd actually be good for the gophers if we lost a few fourth strings so we could open up more spots.

I wonder though. Scholarship spots will be at a premium with a sudden glut of players who did not use up eligibility this year....

Outside of teams like Nebraska who have a lot of space (because everyone keeps leaving)... I suspect there won't be all that many spots to transfer into.

I know guys who played against them, I believe we were the only ones that offered both of them. The parents did not want to have to split their time. Makes sense to me. I think his brother will have a good career, if he is able to stay healthy.

Merry Christmas, I hope you do not proof read Christmas cards.

Only if that person goes out of their way to belittle a kid for having a learning disability and ironically follows that up by saying something incredibly stupid.

Top Bottom