+28.5 point underdogs, Gophers biggest spread difference since 2018

Do you know how much of an underdog the Gophers were to tOSU when Glen Mason coached the 2000 Gophers to a 29-17 victory at Ohio State?

They lost to Ohio in the 2nd game of the season. Beating tOSU in Columbus got them to 5-2 and earned them a ranking of #22 in the country. The Mason and the Gophers lost their last 4 out of 5 to finish at 6-6.

It's almost unbelievable," Minnesota coach Glen Mason said after his Golden Gophers earned a shocking 29-17 victory over Ohio State (No. 5 ESPN/USA Today, No. 6 AP) on Saturday. "After the game they said, 'Coach you're on top of the Big Ten.' I don't know if we can handle that. I mean, we are what we are."

Minnesota's last win in Columbus was in 1949, with Ohio State winning the last 15 times the Gophers came to town. The Golden Gophers had lost 16 in a row to the Buckeyes and 28 of the last 29.

Maybe the next streak to fall will be Minnesota's 29 years without a trip to the Rose Bowl. The Golden Gophers (5-2, 3-1 Big Ten) are one of five teams with only one loss in the Big Ten race.

xw23kqitt21c1.png

Who knows Michigan and OSU may enter their big game each having 1 lose.

I made a little coin while sitting in the woods today. Unfortunately, that 28.5 spread was easy money.

Top Bottom