25 year season ticket holder

This all true.
Next year there is not a starting QB in the wings that Fleck trusts enough to replace a faltering Morgan.
The whole OL will need to be rebuilt.
The two freshman RBs show only promise.
The defense will lose starters.
THe SOS is unlikely to be as weak as this year's 57th in the country.
And Fleck's recruiting is not the best in the West over his tenure.
At least Iowa is early next year so the scheduling created BS of this year will be out the window.

And how does a debate on whether 2019 is the best season ever change that we have regressed in the past two seasons?

As a reminder, in the conference in 2019 we came in second behind Ohio State and ties with Wisconsin and Penn State. The next best conference finish was 1986 in third, behind Michigan and Ohio State tied for first and Iowa. No one is going to argue that team at 6-6 with a 0-63 loss to oklahoma and a 20-24 loss to Pacific is the second best team in the last 35 years.

We have not built on 2019. Building on 2019 would mean starting the season prepared to play and not needing luck to escape clearly inferior opponents.

building on 2019 would mean with the most experienced team under Fleck's command - some of whom have been college football players for 7 years! - wouldn't lose to Bowling Green. At home.

Building on 2019 would mean beating an unranked Illinois team. At home.

Building on 2019 would mean Fleck would have learned that Iowa is Iowa and figures out how to beat them instead of being out coached by Firentz, again.

building on 2019 would mean not pissing control of your destiny down your leg in two weeks.

none of the coaches in the pst twenty years followed up big seasons with improvements, so if your measure of success is failure to build on success, then yeah, Fleck's the best coach in the country.

if it's expecting performance to back up the talk, then all we have is a lot of slogans and a lot if money being spent and the same results.

we were better in 2019. We are heading in the wrong direction and lose a ton of experience after this season.

The recruiting has been marginally better - our team takent in 2016 was 12th in the Big Ten. This year, we're 10th according to 247 sports team talent index. The same as 2019.

Flecks going to be the coach for the foreseeable future. The trends don't look good, so no, we're not building off of 2019. And 5 years in, we've been sold a change but are gettimg more of the same in a different package.
Got it. So if you go 11-2 you can never go less than 11-2 again.

I feel sorry for you. You should pick a new team. If 7-6, 11-2, Covid, 7-5 is going to make you depressed honestly there are other teams out there that win more.

We arent good enough to blow 3 to 4 good throws with drops and in the same game miss 3 to 4 easy passes. Thats not coaching or game plan. Whats frustrating is this should be a peak year based on players ages and its looking like a peak year is about 7 wins with probably a sub peak year or two on the horizon.

I hope they adjust offensive personnel to have a more prolific offense. I hope someone finds whatever blackmail the special teams coach has on Fleck and burns it.

Still enough bright spots in this season to keep me rowing.

I've been bitching about the coaching all year (including after the Northwestern win), but y'all are being dramatic. Gophers probably should have beat Iowa this year. Out-gained them by 130 yards and ~10 first downs. Ran the ball down the throat of one of the best running defenses in the country.

RB gains two more yards on a hand-off on third and short and the Gophers win that game. I wish that PJ would move on from Sanford, but this team is competitive and it's better than any team Kill/Claeys put together.

That said, I think next year is going to be pretty rough so I guess if you're going to jump off the bandwagon, now is the time.

I've been bitching about the coaching all year (including after the Northwestern win), but y'all are being dramatic. Gophers probably should have beat Iowa this year. Out-gained them by 130 yards and ~10 first downs. Ran the ball down the throat of one of the best running defenses in the country.

RB gains two more yards on a hand-off on third and short and the Gophers win that game. I wish that PJ would move on from Sanford, but this team is competitive and it's better than any team Kill/Claeys put together.

That said, I think next year is going to be pretty rough so I guess if you're going to jump off the bandwagon, now is the time.
This year's team is better than the 2014 team that pulverized Michigan's QB in Ann Arbor, humiliated Iowa and beat a ranked Nebraska team in Lincoln?

OK, then.

And how does a debate on whether 2019 is the best season ever change that we have regressed in the past two seasons?

As a reminder, in the conference in 2019 we came in second behind Ohio State and ties with Wisconsin and Penn State. The next best conference finish was 1986 in third, behind Michigan and Ohio State tied for first and Iowa. No one is going to argue that team at 6-6 with a 0-63 loss to oklahoma and a 20-24 loss to Pacific is the second best team in the last 35 years.

We have not built on 2019. Building on 2019 would mean starting the season prepared to play and not needing luck to escape clearly inferior opponents.

building on 2019 would mean with the most experienced team under Fleck's command - some of whom have been college football players for 7 years! - wouldn't lose to Bowling Green. At home.

Building on 2019 would mean beating an unranked Illinois team. At home.

Building on 2019 would mean Fleck would have learned that Iowa is Iowa and figures out how to beat them instead of being out coached by Firentz, again.

building on 2019 would mean not pissing control of your destiny down your leg in two weeks.

none of the coaches in the pst twenty years followed up big seasons with improvements, so if your measure of success is failure to build on success, then yeah, Fleck's the best coach in the country.

if it's expecting performance to back up the talk, then all we have is a lot of slogans and a lot if money being spent and the same results.

we were better in 2019. We are heading in the wrong direction and lose a ton of experience after this season.

The recruiting has been marginally better - our team takent in 2016 was 12th in the Big Ten. This year, we're 10th according to 247 sports team talent index. The same as 2019.

Flecks going to be the coach for the foreseeable future. The trends don't look good, so no, we're not building off of 2019. And 5 years in, we've been sold a change but are gettimg more of the same in a different package.
Peaks and valleys homie. Stay strong 🤙🏼
1636942336602.jpeg

What’s the best season you’ve seen in all those years?
When much younger, I did see every home game, 1960-61-62 and those were the best Gopher teams I've ever seen: two Rose Bowls and a national championship in there, plus a B10 title ('62 should have been a second). It is slim pickings in my season ticket years, 1979 to present:
1985 - Holtz went only 7-5 but created huge excitement for the program before demoralizing it by announcing a move to Notre Dame before the season was over. Nevertheless, almost beat national champ Oklahoma, losing 7-13, with Rickey Foggie and the Gophers around the Oklahoma 10 yard line at the end of the game; beat Wisconsin, beat Clemson in bowl.
1999 - Mason went 8-3 regular season, beat #2 Penn State, beat Iowa, lost to Wisconsin in two overtimes, had the first All-America player since 1971 (and subsequently many more). It seemed he had done it in just three seasons (but then he entertained overtures from both LSU and Michigan State, which soured many fans).
2003: Mason's best season, 10-3, but lost the Michigan game in a packed nighttime Dome in the fourth quarter, after leading 28-7 (Wolves won 38-35 as their short passing game was unstoppable). Despite loss to Oregon in a bowl, it was a season of many honors for the Gophers with Laurence Maroney and Marion Barber III nationally known and Abdul Khaliq at QB leading the nation in passing efficiency. Offense scored over 500 points for the season.
2013 - Only 8-5, but Jerry Kill (from pressbox because of illness) watched the first Gopher win over Nebraska since 1960 and the Huskers were ranked #21 that week. Also beat Penn State.
2016 - Tracy Claeys, in a season besmirched by a scandal, went 9-4, and with some key defensive players missing, completely shut down the TD machine of Mike Leach at Wash. St. in the bowl game.
2019 - 11-2, best season overall since 2003. Penn State win on nat'l TV was huge. Beat Auburn in the bowl. As with Mason, it was the third season for a new coach and things were looking up!

PS: as a small child I saw the 1949 Gophers beat Iowa 55-7. We were sitting two rows above the team, and my dad pointed out who Bernie Bierman was. Leo Nomellini, two-time All-American, was pulled near the end, took his helmet off, looked up to the sky and laughed - an iconic image in my mind, like a Roman gladiator. My dad had to explain much of the game to me, but I'll never forget the impact that game had on my imagination. I was hooked.

Love the post Great Plains! I want them to win a rose bowl for fans like you.

I feel sorry for you. You should pick a new team. If 7-6, 11-2, Covid, 7-5 is going to make you depressed honestly there are other teams out there that win more.
Whatever makes you happy, have at it. Never have I said if we don't win 11 games, we aren't successful.

Peaks and valleys homie. Stay strong 🤙🏼
View attachment 15323
There is a big difference between struggles, realities of the college game and capturing lightning in a bottle and making the self inflicted mistakes over and over again. Keep the faith. It may happen again.

Me? the emperor is naked. Doesn't mean we won't have a good season again, just less likely that the trend will reverse. You'll also notice the peaks get higher, the valleys also get higher. That's not what I see. I expect we'll end 2021 at 7-5. Better than last year, but this team should be 9-1. Every team has bad games, so maybe 8-2. Two games stand out for our showing up completely unprepared and completely unable to adjust to overcome clearly inferior opponents, so we're 6-4.

I'm not surprised given the issues have been consistent in all 5 years of Fleck's tenure. But it is disappointing.

When much younger, I did see every home game, 1960-61-62 and those were the best Gopher teams I've ever seen: two Rose Bowls and a national championship in there, plus a B10 title ('62 should have been a second). It is slim pickings in my season ticket years, 1979 to present:
1985 - Holtz went only 7-5 but created huge excitement for the program before demoralizing it by announcing a move to Notre Dame before the season was over. Nevertheless, almost beat national champ Oklahoma, losing 7-13, with Rickey Foggie and the Gophers around the Oklahoma 10 yard line at the end of the game; beat Wisconsin, beat Clemson in bowl.
1999 - Mason went 8-3 regular season, beat #2 Penn State, beat Iowa, lost to Wisconsin in two overtimes, had the first All-America player since 1971 (and subsequently many more). It seemed he had done it in just three seasons (but then he entertained overtures from both LSU and Michigan State, which soured many fans).
2003: Mason's best season, 10-3, but lost the Michigan game in a packed nighttime Dome in the fourth quarter, after leading 28-7 (Wolves won 38-35 as their short passing game was unstoppable). Despite loss to Oregon in a bowl, it was a season of many honors for the Gophers with Laurence Maroney and Marion Barber III nationally known and Abdul Khaliq at QB leading the nation in passing efficiency. Offense scored over 500 points for the season.
2013 - Only 8-5, but Jerry Kill (from pressbox because of illness) watched the first Gopher win over Nebraska since 1960 and the Huskers were ranked #21 that week. Also beat Penn State.
2016 - Tracy Claeys, in a season besmirched by a scandal, went 9-4, and with some key defensive players missing, completely shut down the TD machine of Mike Leach at Wash. St. in the bowl game.
2019 - 11-2, best season overall since 2003. Penn State win on nat'l TV was huge. Beat Auburn in the bowl. As with Mason, it was the third season for a new coach and things were looking up!

PS: as a small child I saw the 1949 Gophers beat Iowa 55-7. We were sitting two rows above the team, and my dad pointed out who Bernie Bierman was. Leo Nomellini, two-time All-American, was pulled near the end, took his helmet off, looked up to the sky and laughed - an iconic image in my mind, like a Roman gladiator. My dad had to explain much of the game to me, but I'll never forget the impact that game had on my imagination. I was hooked.
If you consider 2013 a better season than 2019 you should get your head checked.

I'm sticking with this squad and PJ. That being said, can someone close to him (Heather?) tell him how moronic it is to end every interview with RTB, SkiUMN, GoGophers? It's maddeningly ridiculous and embarrassing.
Least of my worries with him at this point.

You're satisfied with this for $5.1M a year?

Might be really good. I will have fewer idiots around me and easier access at extra seats for low dollar amounts.

don’t need drunk fans who are super negative while bringing nothing to the table around me.
I doubt a lot of people are anxious to sit near you .

We beat Oregon in the 2003 Sun Bowl (I was there). We lost to them in the same bowl game four years prior (I blame Y2K).

You're satisfied with this for $5.1M a year?
I don’t pay 5.1 million per year. Really I see zero difference between 4.8 and 5.1

who do we get that’s better for 5.1 or less? Name one guy

This year's team is better than the 2014 team that pulverized Michigan's QB in Ann Arbor, humiliated Iowa and beat a ranked Nebraska team in Lincoln?

OK, then.
No it isn’t. However,
The 2014 Michigan was 5-7 and the 2014 Nebraska team got their coach fired

I don’t pay 5.1 million per year. Really I see zero difference between 4.8 and 5.1

who do we get that’s better for 5.1 or less? Name one guy
Paid way less than that for essentially the same results in the four years preceding him.

He's an apologist. The exact reason the twins have an 18 game postseason losing streak, the reason the wolves suck every year, the reason the vikings haven't been to a super bowl since the 1970s, the reason the wild don't have a cup and the reason the Gophers programs can't beat their rivals in all the major sports. He, like many others, love to pat these horrible GM/ADs and head coaches on the head and make them think they're good. Participation Trophy losers.
Who knew the actions of random people on a message board had such influence. You mean if I would kick my dog, throw my remote through my TV and let everyone I know how much Coyle sucks when we lose we’ll become a powerhouse?

I'm sticking with this squad and PJ. That being said, can someone close to him (Heather?) tell him how moronic it is to end every interview with RTB, SkiUMN, GoGophers? It's maddeningly ridiculous and embarrassing.
I hope he never stops doing that. It’s funny at this point.

Top Bottom