'23-'24 MN HS Basketball Season

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
a lot of Boys HS teams tipping off the season this week. Girls already underway. thought it was time to get a HS Basketball thread going.

let us know about games you've seen and athletes to watch, etc.

and this update - the MSHSL Board met today (Nov 30). saw this tweet from John Millea:

mshsl board voted down proposal to seed girls and boys teams 1 through 8 at state basketball tournaments.

some context:
during the same meeting, the MSHSL board approved an addition to their "belief statement." it reads:
Postseason participation at the state level must recognize and support opportunities for both individuals and teams from all geographic regions of the state.

Millea also noted in another tweet that he believes the board wants to act on state tournament seeding proposals for all sports at the same time. so rather than approve a basketball seeding plan now and a volleyball seeding plan later, the board apparently wants to tackle all of the seeding issues as a group.

and I will note this: also at the meeting today, the board heard a proposal for football seeding (all classes except 6A) that would divide the 8 teams in the state quarterfinals into North and South divisions, then seed each division 1-4. Semi-finals would have a cross-over with the highest remaining seeded North team playing the lower-seeded South team and vice-versa. will be interesting to see if that is a football-only idea or if the same model might be considered for basketball.

Reactions: Rex

a lot of Boys HS teams tipping off the season this week. Girls already underway. thought it was time to get a HS Basketball thread going.

let us know about games you've seen and athletes to watch, etc.

and this update - the MSHSL Board met today (Nov 30). saw this tweet from John Millea:

mshsl board voted down proposal to seed girls and boys teams 1 through 8 at state basketball tournaments.

some context:
during the same meeting, the MSHSL board approved an addition to their "belief statement." it reads:
Postseason participation at the state level must recognize and support opportunities for both individuals and teams from all geographic regions of the state.

Millea also noted in another tweet that he believes the board wants to act on state tournament seeding proposals for all sports at the same time. so rather than approve a basketball seeding plan now and a volleyball seeding plan later, the board apparently wants to tackle all of the seeding issues as a group.

and I will note this: also at the meeting today, the board heard a proposal for football seeding (all classes except 6A) that would divide the 8 teams in the state quarterfinals into North and South divisions, then seed each division 1-4. Semi-finals would have a cross-over with the highest remaining seeded North team playing the lower-seeded South team and vice-versa. will be interesting to see if that is a football-only idea or if the same model might be considered for basketball.
The sections are largely geographic now, are they not? So why add this silly feel-good statement about geographic regions of the state?

They're really going out of their way to tell us that crowning the best team as state champion isn't anything they care about.

Cherry Tigers played Mountain Iron-Buhl tonight (Monday). Haven't had a chance to watch the video, Tigers win 94-47. Asuma with 23 points, 7 assists, and 6 rebounds. Game starts at about the 24 minute mark of the video.

Last edited:

Article on Alexandria Cardinals and Grayson Grove:

"The Cardinals are anchored by 6-foot-9 senior Grayson Grove, who will play for the Gophers after high school. Last season, Grove averaged 20 points, 8.2 rebounds, 2.7 assists, 2.2 deflections, 2.4 steals and 1.7 blocks per game. He shot 57.8 percent from the field and 38.7 percent from the three-point line. He was voted the team’s MVP last season and made the all-state tournament team."

Cardinals are scheduled to open their season Thursday, 12/07 at Brainerd.

so far, not seeing a lot of impact from the shot clock. no violations in the 1st two games that I did PA for, but there were a couple times the refs stopped play to work out some issue with the shot-clock operator where the clock was reset and the refs said it should not have been reset.

one thing I noted is that the student sections are counting down the end of the clock if it gets close - "8, 7, 6, 5" and so forth.

If anyone has time to kill and wants a chuckle, the MSHSL website has a 45-minute video explaining how the shot clock is supposed to work. when to reset to 20 - when to reset to 35 - when not to reset, etc. schools can't just grab some random person out of the stands to run the clock; you have to know the rules and really be on top of things.

Lot of huge games in the Tip off classic at Hopkins HS on Saturday. Grove and Asuma will both be playing, Cherry against #3 AA Holy Family, and Alexandria against #1 AA Breck and Daniel Freitag.

Also notable looking at Cherrys schedule, they play Park Center on the 29th of December, that will be a big time test.

Article on Alexandria Cardinals and Grayson Grove:

"The Cardinals are anchored by 6-foot-9 senior Grayson Grove, who will play for the Gophers after high school. Last season, Grove averaged 20 points, 8.2 rebounds, 2.7 assists, 2.2 deflections, 2.4 steals and 1.7 blocks per game. He shot 57.8 percent from the field and 38.7 percent from the three-point line. He was voted the team’s MVP last season and made the all-state tournament team."

Cardinals are scheduled to open their season Thursday, 12/07 at Brainerd.

Go 🃏

so far, not seeing a lot of impact from the shot clock. no violations in the 1st two games that I did PA for, but there were a couple times the refs stopped play to work out some issue with the shot-clock operator where the clock was reset and the refs said it should not have been reset.

one thing I noted is that the student sections are counting down the end of the clock if it gets close - "8, 7, 6, 5" and so forth.

If anyone has time to kill and wants a chuckle, the MSHSL website has a 45-minute video explaining how the shot clock is supposed to work. when to reset to 20 - when to reset to 35 - when not to reset, etc. schools can't just grab some random person out of the stands to run the clock; you have to know the rules and really be on top of things.
ive been doing it for the last few years for conference games only before this year. So certainly not as big of change for some schools. but yeah the counting down from both the student section and benches will be common place. and playing on the road the opposing fans will start it a couple few seconds early on the count down.

and the rules changes a lot from previous years as far as when to reset to 35 and when to reset to 20. it was a bit confusing as there is way more resetting to 20.

the 45 minute video i made it through about 3 minutes of it and just read the bullet points lol. after 2-3 games whomever is doing the shotclock will have it down

Article from Brainerd Dispatch

Video of the game. No play by play, Grove is #2 in white...I think those are "leggings" he's wearing. Easier to ID him. Chase Thompson is #3 in white

Game starts at 29:00 of the video, ends at around 1:52:00

·https://brainerdathletics.com/video/792330/varsity-boys-basketball

Cherry Tigers beat Barnum on the road Thursday night, 93-60 to move to 3-0.
Isaac Asuma 25p 11reb

Last edited:

Video of the game. No play by play, Grove is #2 in white...I think those are "leggings" he's wearing. Easier to ID him. Chase Thompson is #3 in white

Isaac Asuma 25p 11reb
Dude, you are skilled.

Reactions: Rex

Isaac Asuma 25p 11reb
Grove has a Big Ten frame and moves well.

Dude, you are skilled.
Thanks. I not sure I agree. I try. I'm getting old (65), terrible computer skills, I wish I knew how to edit better... that "white out" from my manual typing class didn't prepare for today's computer world. But I've always like recruiting. Street & Smith, Sporting News, Lindy's, newsletters from "Recruiting Gurus". I like to think that our recruits will help improve the team someday.

This post on Justin Cobbs is probably my favorite. His senior year in spring of 2009. I'd been following him in his local paper, found out about the radio broadcast. He had a tough final game in high school.

The 2 biggest games of the day, Lakeville North vs Park Center and Totino Grace vs Wayzata, both decided by buzzer beaters. Cash Chavis for park center and Jackson McAndrew for Wayzata. Crazy

on the smaller-school front: a team to watch out for is Dawson-Boyd. currently ranked 2nd in Class A behind Cherry.

I watched them on a video stream the other night. They're led by 6'7" JR Brayson Boike and 6'6" JR Drew Hjelmeland. but they have several other good complimentary players at guard. and - No Seniors on the team.

Dawson-Boyd lost to RTR in the Section 3A Finals last year by 8 pts - and RTR went on to win the State Championship. Dawson-Boyd defeated RTR in this year's season opener.

check them out if you get a chance. I think they stream a lot of their home games on YouTube.

(I don't have any connection to the team - just decided to watch them because I heard they had a nice squad.)

Big time game between Totino Grace and Park Center tonight

Very back and forth game before TG pulled away late to win it 82-72

Chavis was fantastic for PC, best player on the court imo

TG was just a bit deeper of a team, Dothan Ijadimbola the sophomore for TG is already offered by us, Iowa and Iowa state, and that won’t be the end of the list for very long. Top 40 sophomore in the country. 6’6, long and very athletic. Extremely high potential. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s getting elite program level offers eventually. Hopefully Ben can keep him home

on the HS Girls front, big game tonight - Albany vs Providence Academy.

rematch of last year's State Championship game, which was won by Providence Academy.

tonight, Albany won the rematch 72-70. going into the game, Providence was ranked #1 in AA and Albany was 2nd.

from what I saw on Twitter, Providence star Maddyn Greenway was held to 19 points. She has scored over 40 points in several games this season.

In case you don't follow girls hoops, Maddyn's father is former Viking LB Chad Greenway.

Wayzayta seems like the team ti beat again.

I’m seeing rumors that Grove has a broken fibula? Could be out for the season

Top Bottom