22 Gophers Win The West

You gotta call Nebraska the favorite. If they improve just 3 plays a game they are 11-1 this year.
They were 7-5 in the second half this year. Sounds like a juggernaut to me. #keepFrost

I've already got that Rose Bowl semi-final marked on my calendar.

Lost too much from the OL and DL, that haven't been proven to have been adequately replaced yet, for OP to be fair.

The Gophers are going to be in the mix for BT West Championship but not favorites. Iowa has to be the early favorite. The Gophers will get an early shot at the Hawkeyes and if they finally get over that hump, then we can start to think about being favorites to win the west.

The Gophers are going to be in the mix for BT West Championship but not favorites. Iowa has to be the early favorite. The Gophers will get an early shot at the Hawkeyes and if they finally get over that hump, then we can start to think about being favorites to win the west.
I'm not positive that Iowa will be the favorite. A LOT of things had to go right for Iowa to end up with the season they did. I mean they deserve credit for making plays when they had to but their offense was horrible and with Goodson going pro the best piece of it is leaving.

I don't know that you can bank on a defense forcing turnovers the way they did this past season again. My guess is that Sconnie will be the slim favorite next season, but I think the West will be very much up for grabs again with any number of teams in the mix to win it.

I'm not positive that Iowa will be the favorite. A LOT of things had to go right for Iowa to end up with the season they did. I mean they deserve credit for making plays when they had to but their offense was horrible and with Goodson going pro the best piece of it is leaving.

I don't know that you can bank on a defense forcing turnovers the way they did this past season again. My guess is that Sconnie will be the slim favorite next season, but I think the West will be very much up for grabs again with any number of teams in the mix to win it.
Wisconsin will be the favorite because people still think they are kings of the west despite only winning the west once in the last 4 years. Perception has not caught up to the reality that Paul Chryst is a good but not great coach who isn't capable of building a program on his own.

Next year I would go
1) Minnesota
2) Wisconsin
3) Iowa
4) Purdue
5) Illinois
6) NW
7) Nebraska

Based on?
the same gut feeling any prediction for 2022 that is made right now would be based on. Silly to make any real guesses about how teams will do until the rosters are finalized for the following season. And even then it is just a crap shoot until teams actually take the field and play a few games.

The Gophers should be in the mix. after that, it comes down to the same stuff it always comes down to - injuries, turnovers, penalties, etc.

But, what it really comes down to is simpler - beat Iowa.

Until the Gophers beat Iowa, they are not the favorites to win the West.

2) Based on what everyone has coming back
OK, so for just one thing - what is Iowa losing that you think will move them from 1st place to 3rd place, vs what we're losing?

You could say this: we play Iowa at home in 2022. If we win that game, all results stay the same, we flip places with Iowa this year.
Interesting point!

Still, for me, it's the lines.

We lose a lot of talent from both lines. And the lines are what drive Minnesota, and likely always will.

My hope is for the Gophers to do well next year as they are capable of doing. My other hope for posters not to get all riled up and go down the tube with the trolls where they find it easy to drag a few to say f that, f this, f coach and so on.

I'm shocked as to the number of negative posts will pop up due to the fact that someone got burned, or a play didn't work etc. Not trying to put a damper on all this. Just laying it out. Hopefully those people aren't supervisors, leaders, husbands etc.

Next year I would go
1) Minnesota
2) Wisconsin
3) Iowa
4) Purdue
5) Illinois
6) NW
7) Nebraska
I wouldn't be surprised if Northwestern steps up...again. Whenever they have a bad year everyone writes them off in the preseason predictions, and then somehow they win, like, 10 games. Then the next year they suck again. Up and down, up and down...

My hope is for the Gophers to do well next year as they are capable of doing. My other hope for posters not to get all riled up and go down the tube with the trolls where they find it easy to drag a few to say f that, f this, f coach and so on.

I'm shocked as to the number of negative posts will pop up due to the fact that someone got burned, or a play didn't work etc. Not trying to put a damper on all this. Just laying it out. Hopefully those people aren't supervisors, leaders, husbands etc.
For the most part, people here are aren't too bad. What you're talking about you'll for sure see in the comments section for any Gopher football article over at the StarTrib. Doesn't matter what time of the year, what day of the week, there is diarrhea of the keyboard over there.

In reality, Minnesota is my pick.

All 3 of them have brutal schedule. All 3 are close and Minnesota was the best this year. They just didn’t close the deal.

If someone is going to win the division because of soft schedule…it is Purdue. Purdue is my dark horse.

Toughest Games:

Wiscy - @Michigan State, @Purdue, @Ohio State, @iowa
Iowa - Michigan, @Ohio State, @Purdue, @Illinois, Wisconsin
Minnesota - Iowa, @Michigan State, @Penn State, @Wisconsin, @Illinois

As long as Purdue or Illinois don't pull surprise seasons and contend for the top of the division, I like the way the schedule breaks down for us among the three teams. MUCH rather have Penn State than Ohio State for a road game. Much rather have Michigan State than Michigan (even at home). We have played Wiscy well 3 of the past 4 seasons - I feel like the tide is actually turning a bit in this rivalry.

Like many people said, so much of 2022 is going to come down beating Iowa at the Bank and getting the momentum for the conference season off to a strong start.

Top Bottom