#21 in AP

I'd take Minnesota to beat about 10 teams ranked ahead of them. No matter though. The rankings that matter are CFP, and they work out in the end. We saw in 2019 they were just as garbage early as the AP, but they eventually get it.

One thing that bothers me about college football is that some people prefer teams with 3 good wins and 3 losses to teams with 1 good win and 1 loss.

I think my first criteria for ranking teams would be number of losses, then quality wins, then eye test.

I feel like most voters go:
1) previous reputation
2) eye test in games you happen to watch
3) are you in the SEC?
4) quality wins
5) number of losses

The record of you opponents in games where they don’t play you should matter than the record of your opponents when they play you.

In other words, exactly backasswards as it should be except for the SEC bias which shouldn't belong at all. I agree with your preferred order. On the bright side, the CFP rankings, once they get to that point, seem to be more solid than either of the AP or Coaches.

I'd take Minnesota to beat about 10 teams ranked ahead of them. No matter though. The rankings that matter are CFP, and they work out in the end. We saw in 2019 they were just as garbage early as the AP, but they eventually get it.

So would Sagarin (#10), Massey (#6), and SP+ (#7) which are designed to be predictive and used (I think) for betting. ESPN Power Index is at #14 (not sure of its purpose/method).

Beat Purdue and Illinois. The game at Penn St. then determines if the Gophers enter the top 10.

Neither Purdue nor Illnois, if healthy, will be easy games.
Nailed it.

They're all important games, but this next three game stretch (with a bye on Oct 8) is huge.

Find out who the dinks are.

Fun to see these graphs, and fun to see all those M's on the right side.

But also shows you the dink-ery of it all. Clemson, supposedly 5th best, gets to stay at 5 because they barely escaped against 21.

BS. Playing away is not that big of a factor. Would've had them somewhere in 10-15.

JMU is not eligible for the Sun Belt Conference Championship or any postseason game this season due to reclassifying to FBS. It's a shame because they seem to be pretty good this year.
Thanks. I did not know that. I will exclude JMU going forward. That means Coastal Carolina will have to carry the banner for the SBC!

Find out who the dinks are.

My favorite part is how Mike Voral (Washington) of The Seattle Times has the Huskies ranked 14th but doesn't have the Gophers ranked. On the other side of the coin.....Andy Greder (Minnesota) of The Pioneer Press has the Gophers ranked 13th but doesn't have the Huskies ranked.

I find it amusing that these two hometown voters are ignoring the fact that both Washington and the Gophers are both hanging their hats on wins over the exact same team.

Just interesting - WA is 4-0 and #15 after beating MSU at home by a 11. MN is 4-0 and #21 by spanking MSU on the road by 24. It’s early in the season to gauge either team, but I watched both teams play the same opponent and MN was clearly superior to WA as well.
What a difference a week makes!

If only we had gotten to them first!

That is a total joke. SOS about the same as MN but nowhere near as dominant. That will get fixed next week after Clemson kicks NC State ass.
It's totally a rankings game to give Clemson a "quality" opponent in the ACC. Complete joke.

That is a total joke. SOS about the same as MN but nowhere near as dominant. That will get fixed next week after Clemson kicks NC State ass.
Clemson has trouble scoring. One game against WF isn’t enough. Also; Oregon in the top 10 by some is a joke. The defense is atrocious.

Clemson's SOS is also below the Gophs. All about ensuring Clemson plays and hopefully beats a "quality" conference opponent to keep them in the top 10. Amusing.

Wishing you all good luck on this season!!

I bet that was a fun, bowl-game type atmosphere against an old rival. Close game, bummer you all couldn't pull it out. Now Bama next game. Shock the world!

Quite a schedule you all ended up with this season. Took care of Cincy, but have to go to BYU later and then your "easy" game before the main rival ended up being Liberty, which probably made sense back when it was scheduled, but now is going to be tough.

My favorite part is how Mike Voral (Washington) of The Seattle Times has the Huskies ranked 14th but doesn't have the Gophers ranked. On the other side of the coin.....Andy Greder (Minnesota) of The Pioneer Press has the Gophers ranked 13th but doesn't have the Huskies ranked.

I find it amusing that these two hometown voters are ignoring the fact that both Washington and the Gophers are both hanging their hats on wins over the exact same tea
One of the many reasons that I really don't pay attention to coaches/AP/similar polls at this point in the season. I've been around enough coaches and writers over the years to know that most of them have done nothing more than look at final scores and current won/loss records to base their "Expert Opinions" on who should be rated where. Basically, they don't really pay attention. In the case of coaches, why should they? They're worried about this week's game, not whether Washington or Minnesota should get more credit for beating MSU.

Not sure why any serious sports fan puts any stock in them or cares about them at this point in the season. Pretty sure that most coaches don't and if they feel the need, remind their players not to get caught up in any of that either. I guess some fans need the artificial bragging rights to feel proud or good about rooting for their team.

One of the many reasons that I really don't pay attention to coaches/AP/similar polls at this point in the season. I've been around enough coaches and writers over the years to know that most of them have done nothing more than look at final scores and current won/loss records to base their "Expert Opinions" on who should be rated where. Basically, they don't really pay attention. In the case of coaches, why should they? They're worried about this week's game, not whether Washington or Minnesota should get more credit for beating MSU.

Not sure why any serious sports fan puts any stock in them or cares about them at this point in the season. Pretty sure that most coaches don't and if they feel the need, remind their players not to get caught up in any of that either. I guess some fans need the artificial bragging rights to feel proud or good about rooting for their team.
I doubt the coach actually votes anyway. Probably some unpaid intern.

The only game they need to be worrying about is Purdue. Rankings will take care if themselves. First order of business is to win the next one.
Yes. Complete focus on being 1-0 after the Purdue championship season. Rinse, lather, rinse, repeat.

I wonder if the 2nd string could have held on to keep both Colorado and Michigan St off the scoreboard if that would have resonated with voters a little more. 3 bagels in 4 games might have been more eye catching.

Regardless, applying logic to the AP Poll after just 4 weeks/small sample size is a fool's errand.

For now it gets the Gophers scores recognized easier and often on TV crawls.

They got that going for them, which is nice.

NC State beat Clemson last year. And they beat a pretty good Texas Tech team two weeks ago. Their higher ranking is also due to finishing 18th last year.

Top Bottom