2024 Gopher Spring Schedule

4EverAGopher

Reaction score
I for one am looking forward to these matches. At this point, any slight improvement with our present players would be a plus for this program.

We haven't been hearing much about adding a DS/L position to this roster. This is a wild guess...could we see more of Stella setting and Shaff being utilized in the back row?

I haven't been able to attend the two Spring matches so far this season. I am hoping to hear more from MN fans who have. So far I am getting...

1 - Shaff more than likely to be our starting setter this fall and not really setting the middle.
2 - Z is OK and should be able to handle the Libero position.
3 - Wucherer playing better all around, but still a work in progress.
4 - Awoleye back to her blocking form she exhibited when she came to the Gopher program.
5 - Minatee running some quick great slides with Stella setting.
6 - S Swenson has only played 2 full sets out of 8. But can give our hitters better placements with her sets, especially with Wucherer.
7 - O Swenson not playing partially due to an injury and will remain as our 4th OH.
8 - Schnichels to remain a RS backup until Crowl returns and remains our 3rd OH.
9 - Gray to remain a SS and DS/L backup.
10 - McGhie will be the DS for our middle and backup to Shaff.
11 - Chloe Ng will remain as a 4th S.
12 - Hanson's back court appears to have seen improvement with new assistant, Crissy's coaching.
13 - Grote still our best pin and has shown much improvement as a 6R pin.
14 - Overall TEAM BLOCKING has improved and Pedro and KCook getting credit.

Just not seeing any player changes for this fall. Think, as I have stated before, high hopes for TEAM developing in all aspects of the game.

A few things to add to your summary:

Skyler has gotten a couple of sets with the libero jersey and seemed pretty solid, at least I thought. I would suggest that she is more likely to get DS and backup L time than McGhie. I think McGhie will be a serving sub and some setting (Gophs did some 6-2 lineups against UST).

You mentioned Schnichels and Crowl at RS, but I think both will remain behind Grote.

Also, not sure I would say that Mel is not really setting the middle. I don't have any stats to rely on, just recollections, but it felt like Phoebe had a decent number of attacks against UST. I didn't attend the ISU match, but someone over on VT was saying that Mel's connection with the middle is significantly improved, giving credit to Pedro.

I for one am looking forward to these matches. At this point, any slight improvement with our present players would be a plus for this program.

We haven't been hearing much about adding a DS/L position to this roster. This is a wild guess...could we see more of Stella setting and Shaff being utilized in the back row?

I think Shaff is firmly entrenched as setter. I think Stella could see considerable time in the back row given her passing skills. And, I hope Stella gives Shaff some relief as setter so Shaff doesn't wear down during long matches and the long season. Shaff was an iron woman last season.

For the most part, we will have the same team on the floor this fall, as this past season.

Sure Landfair will not be there but she was not lighting up the place last season and Hanson will be taking over that position. Murr is gone...unfortunately, Z will not be an equal replacement for her. She should hugely improve as the season progresses, but we just can't expect the same production come season opening. Again, I have not seen these players this Spring...the few posts about her on another forum were not leading me to believe otherwise.

When it comes to Mel, we all know she absolutely has to IMPROVE on her setting the middle to make any impact at all next season. This will be her FIFTH year as our starting setter. Sure she periodically sets the middle but it dwindles down to almost zero throughout a match. And I will add that I did not read anything about the Z to Mel connection vs Murr to Mel.

Now in all fairness to Stella, I was reading more slides with Minatee when she was setting her and a better connection with Wucherer on the placement of the sets to her. We need Wucherer to really step up her game. She will be a Junior and right now I put her in the same projectory as Alexis Hart who lit up the Gopher offense her Senior year.

Personally, I am hoping Awoleye can get back to her "BLOCKING MACHINE" form. It sounds like KCook and Pedro are on the same page. Great because we need our middles and pins to become better at blocking...All of Them.

I think there are many of us who want to see Stella on the floor. IMO it would be an injustice to use her periodically throughout the season. They need to redshirt Stella and give her the four seasons she deserves as a full season starting setter for the Gophers. I just feel Stella is in the long range plans for this program starting with the 2025 and 2026 classes. Here's hoping we see some TOP Recruit commitments starting this summer for the class of 2026.

We have two other setters on the roster that can go into a match this upcoming season for Mel should she go down with any type of injury. This program is looking at the future. IMO if we can see better blocking and defense and serving come this fall, our new assistant coaching additions will be better hires by KCook and doing their jobs.

So, it’s going to be the same team as last year. Same stubborn coach.

Just replacing TL with Hanson, shifting Z to Libero, and Gray takes over the DS spot.

Same team, same scheme, same mentality, same coaching, slightly lower raw talent.

No reason to expect any different results.

I think there are many of us who want to see Stella on the floor. IMO it would be an injustice to use her periodically throughout the season. They need to redshirt Stella and give her the four seasons she deserves as a full season starting setter for the Gophers. I just feel Stella is in the long range plans for this program starting with the 2025 and 2026 classes. Here's hoping we see some TOP Recruit commitments starting this summer for the class of 2026.
Being very cynical would give one reason to not do this: not letting her transfer out as a fifth year player/grad transfer to some other team and potentially an in-conference one at that.

Jeff Day's article on the spring season:
Take away from this was the comment on looking at the upcoming transfer portal May 1. I found that interesting. It sounds like they are going to look at long term 2+ year transfer players who would be interested in Minnesota. I am going to assume at mainly the DS/L and MB positions. We will have to wait and see, if anything develops from this portal.

Been to all 3 spring matches. The team as a whole has gotten better each match. Clearly the better team in all 3 and Marquette returned everyone but their libero from a 29-4 team so that's encouraging. Zeynep looks good and is going to be solid as the libero. Julia Hanson has been a beast hitting. Grote and Wucherer are also hitting well. Wucherer had a few hiccups but is better in the back. Schnichels is improving. Don't think she's better than Crowl at this point. Is athletic and probably has a higher ceiling but not as polished. Olivia Swenson only played one set. Tough to say where she fits in. Probably redshirt. Schaffmaster is moving better without the brace on her knee and is actually setting the middles. Stella Swenson has big time talent. Not sure what the plan is for those two. Schaffmaster has gotten most of the time. Awoleye is blocking well. Minitee not as strong on the block but is running a sweet slide. They need a third MB at least for depth. My concern is the DS position. Skylar Gray is not it. McGhee is below average. Let's hope they find someone in spring transfer portal.

Been to all 3 spring matches. The team as a whole has gotten better each match. Clearly the better team in all 3 and Marquette returned everyone but their libero from a 29-4 team so that's encouraging. Zeynep looks good and is going to be solid as the libero. Julia Hanson has been a beast hitting. Grote and Wucherer are also hitting well. Wucherer had a few hiccups but is better in the back. Schnichels is improving. Don't think she's better than Crowl at this point. Is athletic and probably has a higher ceiling but not as polished. Olivia Swenson only played one set. Tough to say where she fits in. Probably redshirt. Schaffmaster is moving better without the brace on her knee and is actually setting the middles. Stella Swenson has big time talent. Not sure what the plan is for those two. Schaffmaster has gotten most of the time. Awoleye is blocking well. Minitee not as strong on the block but is running a sweet slide. They need a third MB at least for depth. My concern is the DS position. Skylar Gray is not it. McGhee is below average. Let's hope they find someone in spring transfer portal.
Thanks for the great post.

*****IF***** the plan is to leave all pins in 6rotations, then we don’t need a DS and we can look at running a 6-2 double sub (Grote and Crowl playing front row, maybe some Schnichels). Plenty of subs for that, in that case.

We know how poorly that plan went last year.

I was wondering about that possibility. Given our roster construction it would make sense. Haven't seen a hint of it this spring. Unless Cook is trying to keep it under wraps until fall my assumption is going to be he runs the same rotations as last year.

I was wondering about that possibility. Given our roster construction it would make sense. Haven't seen a hint of it this spring. Unless Cook is trying to keep it under wraps until fall my assumption is going to be he runs the same rotations as last year.
Right agree, you’d think they’d try it this spring.

I don’t think you’re “giving away” much if you let that get out that that’s what you’re planning for the fall. It’s not like the opposing team can come up with some new strategy that works great specifically against a 6-2. Not that I’m aware of

Top Bottom