2024 Gopher Football is a watershed moment.

Sparlimb

Reaction score
We have the potential to go 3-9 and end with a new coach or somehow see Fleck pull a rabbit out of his hat and have a winning record. I have no idea how he does it, but we'll see. In some ways, next year will be the most volatile of his career here. It could go any which way. New coaches abound. New starters abound. Very little continuity.

my immediate reaction is that expectations are probably lower next year.

Coming off a 5-7 season -- the conference will be stronger with the 4 new teams -- no West division to play for -- bringing in a new DC.

so I don't think many people are going to be expecting the Gophers to rattle off 9 or 10 wins and be in the top third of the standings. as long as they can scrape together at least 6 wins and make a bowl game, I think that will keep people reasonably happy in the new reality.

as far as continuity - that is life in a P5 Conference - especially when you are not one of the top teams in the conference. the big dogs feast and the little dogs fight for the scraps.

Coming off a 5-7 season -- the conference will be stronger with the 4 new teams -- no West division to play for -- bringing in a new DC.

so I don't think many people are going to be expecting the Gophers to rattle off 9 or 10 wins and be in the top third of the standings. as long as they can scrape together at least 6 wins and make a bowl game, I think that will keep people reasonably happy in the new reality.

as far as continuity - that is life in a P5 Conference - especially when you are not one of the top teams in the conference. the big dogs feast and the little dogs fight for the scraps.
The woe is me mentality around here is pervasive. We have a super fun schedule for next to me it’s not whether you win or lose them alll, it’s kinda how you play the game. We’re part of the conference with the most money being dished out to its schools. We are not a have not school. We should all just get over it, be thankful for everything we have, and expect our coach to get his shit together on 12 Saturdays in ‘24.

Basic competence for all three phases through 4 quarters is my fan goal for next season. Very reasonable bar to set.

This does not automatically translate to wins but it is a starting point after this season.

History suggests from Year 0 through Year 6 that a Fleck-HC team can really only accomplish 2 of 3 phases competently (with Special Forces really the most deficient over time) with varying success on the number of quarters for actual good game performance. This year after halftime was mostly a complete bust.

Up to this point I thought this year was the Year of Changes, especially with Tanner finally no longer eligible (not a shot at Morgan). However, already looking like next year...with what's going on both internally and externally to the program...is really the Year of Changes.

Ski U Yikes is probably the watchword for a while...

I'm already glass half full for next year. Fleck knows what's on the line, and he's not going to go out like a bitch. It all hinges on Brosmer. If Brosmer can help the offense maintain momentum by keeping drives alive with his arm, we know we have the line and #1 rb able to make the offense hum. I expect ball control again, but back to a 2022 level of comepetncy. If we're really lucky🤞, maybe some shades of the 2019 offense.

If we can successfully maintain ball control, our defense should be able to function at its previous degree of competency. I know that drives some people here nuts, but that's how we've had the most success. Long offensive drives and fresh legs/discipline on defense. Again, it all hinges on Brosmer.

Middle table warriors here we come, we are Brentford!

In any other major North American sport, having an over-.500 season and qualifying for the postseason is considered a decent year. Winning 75% of your games (9-3) is amazing and enough for the best record most years in the NBA, MLB, NFL, NHL.

Only college football routinely has undefeated teams (a function of unevenly distributed resources, no drafts, and short schedules)

The expectation mismatch comes from the existence of a few Goliaths. Set your expectations to most any other sport where 8-4 or 9-3 would be proportionally great, and where .500 seasons aren't a calamity, and you won't be disappointed as much.

We have the potential to go 3-9 and end with a new coach or somehow see Fleck pull a rabbit out of his hat and have a winning record. I have no idea how he does it, but we'll see. In some ways, next year will be the most volatile of his career here. It could go any which way. New coaches abound. New starters abound. Very little continuity.

I'm already glass half full for next year. Fleck knows what's on the line, and he's not going to go out like a bitch. It all hinges on Brosmer. If Brosmer can help the offense maintain momentum by keeping drives alive with his arm, we know we have the line and #1 rb able to make the offense hum. I expect ball control again, but back to a 2022 level of comepetncy. If we're really lucky🤞, maybe some shades of the 2019 offense.

If we can successfully maintain ball control, our defense should be able to function at its previous degree of competency. I know that drives some people here nuts, but that's how we've had the most success. Long offensive drives and fresh legs/discipline on defense. Again, it all hinges on Brosmer.
“Fleck is not going to go out like a bitch”?????

Okay. Have you seen how he plays for field goals, consistently punts the ball on the other teams side of the field, runs out the clock, etc……

Problem is if Gophs get behind early by like a couple TDs, they really haven't had another gear to pull it even.

Things are always up in the air to some degree, 2024 won't be an exception. The one thing I would quibble with is the idea it would require some kind of miracle to have a winning record next year. The majority of our key players have declared they are coming back and it appears we have upgraded the QB position (at minimum it won't be a downgrade).

Needing a new DC is a buzzkill but it happens.

Shaking the etch-a-sketch. Lots of changes which can be exciting. Also can be frustrating.

Right out of the gate we know there is no chance of making the New Big Ten champ game.

No West title to play for.

Same issue at Iowa, etc. don’t get me wrong.

How do you motivate the guys, in that sense??

“Come on guys! We’ve got to make it to 7 regular season wins, so we can go to a decent mid-tier bowl game! Who’s with me!!??”

In any other major North American sport, having an over-.500 season and qualifying for the postseason is considered a decent year. Winning 75% of your games (9-3) is amazing and enough for the best record most years in the NBA, MLB, NFL, NHL.

Only college football routinely has undefeated teams (a function of unevenly distributed resources, no drafts, and short schedules)

The expectation mismatch comes from the existence of a few Goliaths. Set your expectations to most any other sport where 8-4 or 9-3 would be proportionally great, and where .500 seasons aren't a calamity, and you won't be disappointed as much.
5-4 should be the goal for next year
4-5 is slightly disappointing.

5-7 or worse would be hugely disappointing.

And this should maybe be the standard every year.

If you’re getting more 5-4s than 4-5s you’re in position at some point to spring two upsets and be in the mix

Right out of the gate we know there is no chance of making the New Big Ten champ game.

“Come on guys! We’ve got to make it to 7 regular season wins, so we can go to a decent mid-tier bowl game! Who’s with me!!??”
And this is where the challenge is going to be for the fanbase moving forward.

It's going to require a new outlook for a lot of us..... when striving for a West division title isn't possible anymore.

Beating a couple rivals.... Being bowl eligible.... What else should we shoot for??

We're certainly not the only program in this situation. Until the Big Ten expands, and then divides into back into divisions, it's our new reality.

I would think the motiviation is to go somewhere btwn 1-3 losses and hope to make the playoffs (depending on the quality of the losses) or make a high tier New Years bowl game? I'd be in for that every year. Fleck has brought the floor up to now where if we have a barely sub .500 season (which by any measure should have been 2 less losses IMHO) we think it's a disaster. THats a good thing!

It's going to require a new outlook for a lot of us..... when striving for a West division title isn't possible anymore.

Beating a couple rivals.... Being bowl eligible.... What else should we shoot for??

We're certainly not the only program in this situation. Until the Big Ten expands, and then divides into back into divisions, it's our new reality.

Well said.

Being bowl eligible, competing well with our rivals will probably be the (realistic) goal. In a way, that is more or less unchanged from past seasons. We've lost the fun of competing for a division title, yes. And from this fan's point of view, that is a real shame.

But in 3 of the last 5 seasons starting with 2019, the Gophers have had one Top Ten (national!) finish, plus two 9-win seasons. With the 'new' B1G, should we assume we can no longer (occasionally) rise to that level?

On the other side of the coin, is that level of success no longer acceptable to Gopher fans?

This is how it was from 1896-2014

You're right... and over that period of time, 7 National Championships, plus 18 conference titles...

I wonder... will it ever be possible to recapture that?
I would guess no.
I would be pretty excited if shared titles game back.
I think they may at some point. All it will take is an unbeaten team being left out of the conference title game

I would guess no.
I would be pretty excited if shared titles game back.
I think they may at some point. All it will take is an unbeaten team being left out of the conference title game

I hear you. It will be interesting to follow how this all plays out.

Mainly, I was actually wondering if the Gopher football program has any hope of ever recapturing the old levels of glory, such as winning B1G / National titles.

We have the potential to go 3-9 and end with a new coach or slomehow see Fleck pull a rabbit out of his hat and have a winning record. I have no idea how he does it, but we'll see. In some ways, next year will be the most volatile of his career here. It could go any which way. New coaches abound. New starters abound. Very little continuity.
W/L projections aside, I think 2024 will be a telling year. No one here knows what goes inside the building, but I sensed a difference in Fleck this season. He just seemed more uptight. No doubt the team underperformed and departures from the previous year and injuries really hurt, but something just seemed askew from previous years.

I agree that continuity is important, but so is looking at new angles to getting things done on the field. Rossi had a number of great defenses during his tenure, but whether it was injuries, lack of talent, or bad scheming, the defense did not play well this season. I hope he does well at Michigan State, but with a new defensive coordinator, I'd like to see better play out of the linebacking position. Not having Lindenberg healthy clearly hurt, but the other guys seemed a step slow. Some of that is inexperience, but I've always thought Rossi's scheme was less "forward" than it probably needs to be at this level of competition.

My fear is that if things start to go bad, they will spiral out of control and Fleck is an acknowledged control guy. When a control loses control, it's not a pretty sight.

I hear you. It will be interesting to follow how this all plays out.

Mainly, I was actually wondering if the Gopher football program has any hope of ever recapturing the old levels of glory, such as winning B1G / National titles.
That was because we allowed Black players when southern schools were still segregated.

Hope the truth doesn’t burst any bubbles on that.

They still count. They were still legit champions.

That was because we allowed Black players when southern schools were still segregated.

Hope the truth doesn’t burst any bubbles on that.

They still count. They were still legit champions.
So did every other BiG school. What changed here that didn't change in every other conference school?

“Fleck is not going to go out like a bitch”?????

Okay. Have you seen how he plays for field goals, consistently punts the ball on the other teams side of the field, runs out the clock, etc……
That's why it hinges on Brosmer. If we don't have competency at qb we're screwed. That's why we were so conservative this year. Injuries and awful qb play.

Problem is if Gophs get behind early by like a couple TDs, they really haven't had another gear to pull it even.
Need good qb play. That's always been the crux of it.

We sucked for decades with tons of continuity.

Discontinuity is the new normal.

Having successfully overcome (mostly) generalized anxiety disorder, boards like this are a stark reminder of how my mind used to work. Always assuming the worse. Always anticipating something bad happening. It is a shitty, miserable way to go through life.

There is a very simple truth to all of it - you aren't in control - never were, never will be. We are all at the mercy of a huge business / organization that is impersonal, chaotic and in a constant state of flux, made exponentially worse by unregulated greed called NIL and the absolute fustercluck called the transfer portal. These two new features were implemented precisely to disrupt continuity. And disrupt it has.

At this point, embrace the uncertainty and trust the guy making over $6M a year can figure it out. If next October rolls around and we are flopping around like a fish out of water, then we'll find a different guy to figure it out for 2025!

Top Bottom