2024-25 Big Ten Free Agent Signings

6-6 G John Tonje (Missouri) inks deal with Wisconsin. Missed most of last season with injury. Was key cog in Tigers’ 2022-23 NCAA season.
Think he was only at Missouri the one year; he was with Niko for four years prior - was on the CSU '22 tournament team (guess he's got/will get a waiver for barely playing this past year).

So as of today there are 54 new players transferring into the conference and we clearly are not anywhere close to done yet. When it is all said and done we will probably see an average of 3-4 new transfers per team in the Big Ten. Just ridiculous.

So as of today there are 54 new players transferring into the conference and we clearly are not anywhere close to done yet. When it is all said and done we will probably see an average of 3-4 new transfers per team in the Big Ten. Just ridiculous.
18 x 3= 54. So we are already at 3 per team. It might get closer to 5 per team. Nuts.

18 x 3= 54. So we are already at 3 per team. It might get closer to 5 per team. Nuts.
More evidence for the lawsuit that I think is in order. The players are NOT students...and they shouldn't be allowed to wear the school logos or call themselves the by the school names. Or play on campus.

And that number doesn't even factor in freshman.

As fans we don't really spend time factoring in the amount of time it takes to teach new players your systems and get them to gel with the rest of the roster.

In the past you could bank on some roster continuity from season to season. Now we have tons of teams that are being forced to rebuild their roster on a yearly basis and make all the new pieces work together. Some years it will work, other times it will be a mess.

And that number doesn't even factor in freshman.

As fans we don't really spend time factoring in the amount of time it takes to teach new players your systems and get them to gel with the rest of the roster.

In the past you could bank on some roster continuity from season to season. Now we have tons of teams that are being forced to rebuild their roster on a yearly basis and make all the new pieces work together. Some years it will work, other times it will be a mess.
All true. And you unintentionally make the case for super crappy non conference schedules. Yuk.

Xavier Amos (Northern Illinois) to Wisconsin. Gard & the Badgers have been active in the portal in the last week.

Yeah, but the consolation is that most teams are going through the same thing. If we could get our NIL funding up to a higher level, I think I'd be all right with all of this. Makes the offseason more interesting, that's for sure.

Yeah, but the consolation is that most teams are going through the same thing. If we could get our NIL funding up to a higher level, I think I'd be all right with all of this. Makes the offseason more interesting, that's for sure.
I'm not sure there is anything that would make me ok with unrestricted free agency every year.

All 3 of the Badgers' portal gets were injured last year. Might be a case of scratch and dent inventory being priced at a discount.
When you don't have the big bucks, not a bad idea. Wouldn't have minded having Dennis Evans here, but he should do well at Grand Canyon. We need to sniff out of a few of these scratch and dents

Some interesting stuff forming from the SS managed list of Big Ten Free Agent gets:

USC with 8 guys averaging 15 points apiece on the average - adds 120 points per game! :)
On the other end of the spectrum PSU with 4 guys averaging 4 points per game
It seems that the average free agent pick up score about 11 points per game
The average is 3.3 free agents signed
U of M checks in with 2 guys and the average point production in 9 (but we got the rebounding machine!)

Some interesting stuff forming from the SS managed list of Big Ten Free Agent gets:

USC with 8 guys averaging 15 points apiece on the average - adds 120 points per game! :)
Maybe we should have gone after that guy....

On the other end of the spectrum PSU with 4 guys averaging 4 points per game
It seems that the average free agent pick up score about 11 points per game
The average is 3.3 free agents signed
U of M checks in with 2 guys and the average point production in 9 (but we got the rebounding machine!)

It'll be interesting which strategy works out better between PSU and USC. USC has taken all Mid-Major players who, like you said, played really well at that level. PSU added mostly bench guys off of good programs a year afo(Tennessee, Xavier and Nebraska). I think it gives PSU a higher ceiling with their guys, but USC probably has a higher floor.

It'll be interesting which strategy works out better between PSU and USC. USC has taken all Mid-Major players who, like you said, played really well at that level. PSU added mostly bench guys off of good programs a year afo(Tennessee, Xavier and Nebraska). I think it gives PSU a higher ceiling with their guys, but USC probably has a higher floor.
Another strategy that will be interesting to follow will be that of Purdue. I am not sure if their roster is full or not but they have no signings. Could it be that Painter wants to fight the tide by telling recruits- come here and we are going to develop you and not recruit over the top of you? Is he going to be far more selective and attempt to invest almost all of their capital in keeping their own guys? It is a strategy I would have loved to see us be able to execute had we had enough money to do it.

Another strategy that will be interesting to follow will be that of Purdue. I am not sure if their roster is full or not but they have no signings. Could it be that Painter wants to fight the tide by telling recruits- come here and we are going to develop you and not recruit over the top of you? Is he going to be far more selective and attempt to invest almost all of their capital in keeping their own guys? It is a strategy I would have loved to see us be able to execute had we had enough money to do it.
They have a loaded class coming in which prevented Gillis from getting a fifth year scholarship. My guess is they continue as they have. Develop players. Fill in needs from the portal and be loyal to current players. My guess is they have an adequate treasure chest to keep the guys they want to keep.

Hawkins from Illinois entered the portal. Wonder if Danja's big contract with Memphis impacted this.

Braxton Meah (Washington) to Nebraska. Nice big man pickup for the Huskers.

Hawkins from Illinois entered the portal. Wonder if Danja's big contract with Memphis impacted this.
From what I understand, Hawkins is testing the NBA waters and did this in order to have options if he doesn't get the evaluation he's hoping for. If you don't do that, Illinois has all the leverage in determining his NIL value because there can't be any other offers.

This is why it would be smart for Christie to enter the portal, too. He can use that as leverage to get the best deal (if he returns to college) even if it's at MN. Pretty much every fringe NBA guy with eligibility left should be doing this, even if they prefer to stay at their current school.

From what I understand, Hawkins is testing the NBA waters and did this in order to have options if he doesn't get the evaluation he's hoping for. If you don't do that, Illinois has all the leverage in determining his NIL value because there can't be any other offers.

This is why it would be smart for Christie to enter the portal, too. He can use that as leverage to get the best deal (if he returns to college) even if it's at MN. Pretty much every fringe NBA guy with eligibility left should be doing this, even if they prefer to stay at their current school.
What is sad is that what you are saying makes sense but it really underscores just how stupid all of this has become.

Caleb Williams (Macalester) inks deal with school right down the road.

That is absolutely wild. Musselman has now picked up guys who- combined- scored 140 points per game last year at other schools. Amazing potential, but it could make for an interesting culture and locker room.
Culture?? There is no culture in big-time college athletics anymore...

Top Bottom