2023 predictions after schedule release

Yup. Let the bitchin’ crybaby shiite realists begin their annual dirge.

Impossible to say until we see who we have in terms of players. For that matter, if any coaches leave for other opportunities.

Need to somehow strike gold in the portal at key positions and/or have guys sitting on the bench this year step up.

Crazy thought.....maybe wait till after the 2022 season is done before even start looking for or making 2023 predictions.

Looks like a tough schedule on paper but with the roster churn these days due to the Portal things could look very different by the time the 2023 season rolls around.

I would say you are looking at anywhere from 6-6 to 8-4 with that schedule. This program is at a point where those types of records will be the worst we see even on down year. Yes, I know they haven't played well this year, but I don't see this team ever finishing with a below .500 record again. Even Mason's teams were able to do that for the most part.

I've given it some thought, and I think my way way way too early predictions are the following:

11-1 Regular season

W - Aug 31 v. Nebraska
- home opener, still Nebraska

W- Sept 9 v. E Michigan
- snooze

W - Sept 16 @ UNC
- They don't play defense

W - Sept 23 @ Northwestern
- High School stadium

W - Sept 30 v. Louisiana
- snooze

W - Oct 7 v. Michigan
- We're due for a Jug win

W - Oct 21 @ Iowa
- Coming off a bye week fresh, Iowa blows

W - Oct 28 v. Mich St
- 34-7 part 2

W - Nov 4 v. Illinois
- Bye Bye Tommy Devito; revenge game

W - Nov 11 @ Purdue
- Revenge game; new QB for Purdue and no weapons

L - Nov 18 @ Ohio State
- Big Ten Championship preview, Gophers rest up for Axe game and don't tip hand to Buckeyes.

W - Nov 25 v. Wisconsin
- BADgers; Axes stays home.

W - B1G championship game v. Ohio State
- rematch Gophers empty the bag of tricks. Fool Ohio State and shock the world.

The ceiling is 8-4. Given we never reach it, I expect the 7-5/5-7 range.

Yes, with that schedule and the loss of key veterans, 5-7 should not be seen as unlikely, 6-6 would be fair enough, and 7-5 would be a commendable performance. Yes, there is the portal but most teams want capable veterans and I don't expect Fleck to do measurably better in transfer recruiting than he's done the last two seasons.

Aug 31 v. Nebraska = W

Sept 9 v. E Michigan = W

Sept 16 @ UNC = L

Sept 23 @ Northwestern = W

Sept 30 v. Louisiana = W

Oct 7 v. Michigan = L

Oct 21 @ Iowa = L

Oct 28 v. Mich St = W

Nov 4 v. Illinois = W

Nov 11 @ Purdue = L

Nov 18 @ Ohio State = L

Nov 25 v. Wisconsin= W

My prediction 7-5

16-0 probably the ceiling
0-12 probably the floor
Honestly though I think 5-7 is the floor -
10-2 is ceiling

I expect 7-5
Anything 8 wins or more and I’ll be feeling really good about the state of the program.
5 wins or less and I’ll be thinking fleck should really be needing to show something in 2024.

It’s a great year to get a tough schedule as we will learn a lot and get some good home games. And it’s not like the schedule is wrecking our conference title chances as I don’t think this team can win it next year anyways.

It's a rough draw, but not quite this rough. Michigan is a home game on October 7.
Maybe it would be easier for the Gophers to beat the Wolverines in Ann Arbor, something that they have done 3 times (1986, 2005 & 2014) since the last time the won in Minneapolis (1976).

Real possibility that 5-6 teams in the West will all have new QB's.

We'll have a new QB...

That's a tough schedule for the Gophers NO MATTER WHAT happens in the next few months.

Aug 31 v. Nebraska = W

Sept 9 v. E Michigan = W

Sept 16 @ UNC = L

Sept 23 @ Northwestern = W

Sept 30 v. Louisiana = W

Oct 7 v. Michigan = L

Oct 21 @ Iowa = L

Oct 28 v. Mich St = W

Nov 4 v. Illinois = W

Nov 11 @ Purdue = L

Nov 18 @ Ohio State = L

Nov 25 v. Wisconsin= W

My prediction 7-5
I don’t think this is an outlandish estimate

I think this team could lose to Wisconsin, Nebraska, and Illinois and end up 4-8
Could also beat Purdue, North Carolina, and Iowa and end up 10-2
7-5 and 6-6 are the likeliest two guesses in my mind.

Maybe it would be easier for the Gophers to beat the Wolverines in Ann Arbor, something that they have done 3 times (1986, 2005 & 2014) since the last time the won in Minneapolis (1976).

The last time we beat them at Ann Arbor, they had a bad team (5-7) while that was Kill's best team. They've had only one poor team since but that was in the short pandemic year (still beat us soundly anyway).

Nice crossover schedule! This is going to suck!

Automatic losses:
OSU
Michigan

Underdog games:
@ UNC
@ Iowa
@ Purdue

Favored to win:
Nebraska
@ Northwestern
Michigan State
Illinois
Wisconsin

Should win or PJ’s seat is getting hot:
E. Michigan
Louisiana

Ceiling 10-2
Floor: 3-9
Best guess: 8-4

I don’t think this is an outlandish estimate

I think this team could lose to Wisconsin, Nebraska, and Illinois and end up 4-8
Could also beat Purdue, North Carolina, and Iowa and end up 10-2
7-5 and 6-6 are the likeliest two guesses in my mind.
I agree. You really have to see what the fall out is at other schools as well. Will Iowa melt down and need major offensive changes? How will WI transfer to new coach and will the holes in recruiting start to show? Will Nebraska keep current coach or completely blow up? Will Northwestern rebound? Does Illinois build off success? Will Purdue have a QB replacement, and they look to lose a lot on defense?

4-2 in West
1-2 vs East
2-1 vs Non-Conference

7-5 is my starting point

I would say you are looking at anywhere from 6-6 to 8-4 with that schedule. This program is at a point where those types of records will be the worst we see even on down year. Yes, I know they haven't played well this year, but I don't see this team ever finishing with a below .500 record again. Even Mason's teams were able to do that for the most part.

I'm not sure why you are so convinced of that. Iowa had a 4-8 season just a few years after a #7 ranking. Auburn had a 3-9 season just two years after winning a national championship. Coincidentally, both of those losing seasons were in 2012.

The last time we beat them at Ann Arbor, they had a bad team (5-7) while that was Kill's best team. They've had only one poor team since but that was in the short pandemic year (still beat us soundly anyway).
The Gophers let their 2 most golden opportunities to beat Michigan this century in Minneapolis slip right through their mitts.

2015 Tracy Claeys debut in Harbaugh's first year. Half yard away.

At least as equally frustrating in a much different manner was 2008. Minnesota 7-2 under Brewster got crushed by Michigan, 29-6. They were 2-7, on their way to 3-9, helmed by Rich Rodriguez.

Uff da.

Last edited:

The Gophers let their 2 most golden opportunities to beat Michigan this century in Minneapolis slip right through their mitts.

At least as equally frustrating in a much different manner was 2008. Minnesota 7-2 under Brewster got crushed by Michigan, 29-6. They were 2-7, on their way to 3-8, helmed by Rich Rodriguez.

Uff da.
Purdue also plays Mich and tOSU next year. Saw this crazy stat that in 2009 Purdue beat both Michigan and #7 tOSU. Purdue went 5-7 that year.

At least as equally frustrating in a much different manner was 2008. Minnesota 7-2 under Brewster got crushed by Michigan, 29-6. They were 2-7, on their way to 3-8, helmed by Rich Rodriguez.

Uff da.

I was not a Gopher fan in 2008 but I remember the 2015 game well. I felt we outplayed Michigan in that game and that loss was really a tough one.

Last edited:

Fair point!

Top Bottom