2023 Offensive Scheme

Tully55

Reaction score
Wondering how much our offensive scheme will change next year? Fleck has shown throughout his tenure here to prefer a run first/run heavy Tressel ball-control game plan, yet we will not have Supeman running 50+ times anymore, but will have a QB who has shown he can pass with accuracy.

Will our offensive scheme change much next year? Fleck has shown throughout his tenure here to prefer a run first/run heavy Tressel ball-control game plan, yet we will not have Supeman running 50+ times anymore, but will have a QB who has shown he can pass with accuracy.
I don't think it changes much except that I really hope PJ and staff continue to throw the ball on 1st and 2nd down on occasion.

I think it'll be a similar offense but just a bit more opened up. Depending upon BSF, we might use the TE less in the passing game next year too.

Wondering how much our offensive scheme will change next year? Fleck has shown throughout his tenure here to prefer a run first/run heavy Tressel ball-control game plan, yet we will not have Supeman running 50+ times anymore, but will have a QB who has shown he can pass with accuracy.
None
It hasn’t changed since 2017 why would it now?

The play selection might be the scheme won’t

Minnesota threw around 37% of the time in 2019, I think this year was around 33%. So for every 100 plays (let’s call it two games worth) that’s 4 passes. Orrrr two per game.

Maybe I'm dead wrong on this, but I'm still pretty convinced that our "read option" plays are decided by the sideline pre-snap rather than the QB actually reading the defenders live. I'd like to see Athan have some more freedom to make that call himself.

Maybe I'm dead wrong on this, but I'm still pretty convinced that our "read option" plays are decided by the sideline pre-snap rather than the QB actually reading the defenders live. I'd like to see Athan have some more freedom to make that call himself.
Some, not all imo. You can watch the QBs eyes on certain replays and see that they're reading the DE... Unless all that is just for show. I don't think so though. They've got so much time to practice the mesh and read I'd be shocked if they don't actually read it.

Kirk will call plays that players show they can make.

Thankfully they showed they can make new plays!

#1 - QB will run more - Athan already showing this and expect trend to continue.

#2 - Will pass more on 1st and 2nd downs. Did this a lot in 2019 and will do again if defenses decide to play the run first. As trust is built in passing game, no reason to run when people are letting you pass with 1 on 1 match ups.

#3 - Will pass more and with more 20+passes if WR's show they can catch the ball consistently on deep ball.

I believe we will be more explosive next year with Athan and young receivers changing the complexion of our offense. Not sure if Evans will be our main back and what he brings. Hoping for another Bucky Irving type back. Don’t see Potts or Williams starting

None
It hasn’t changed since 2017 why would it now?

The play selection might be the scheme won’t
Why would it change?

Because he has never won the west. Maybe try something else?

Minnesota threw around 37% of the time in 2019, I think this year was around 33%. So for every 100 plays (let’s call it two games worth) that’s 4 passes. Orrrr two per game.

Oh man I hope this is some sort of parody cause otherwise that math is...umm...yeah.

Oh man I hope this is some sort of parody cause otherwise that math is...umm...yeah.
I meant the difference in passes per 100 plays from 2019 to 2022. Sorry that wasn’t clear.

I think he is saying 2 more passes per game by comparison but the English is too confusing

Now I saw what he meant

Well, there's "What We want to see from the offense,"

and then there's

"What Fleck will do with the offense."

Seriously, without Mo to rely on, I think they have to make Athan a bigger part of the offense - running and throwing. I'd like to see at least a 60/40 split on Run/pass - so if you run 70 plays in a game, that would be 42 run/28 pass.

and I'd like to see a few wrinkles - throw to the RB's more; mix in some toss sweeps, jet sweeps, screens - become less predictable.

but it all depends on what the coach will allow.

Will depend a lot on the freshman running backs. Can’t see any of the current RB’s doing what Mo did

Will depend a lot on the freshman running backs. Can’t see any of the current RB’s doing what Mo did
I think that might be helpful.
Mo is great but needing 25 carries a game to maximize effectiveness hampers the offense some.
Not really having breakaway speed mandates long scoring drives which are more likely to have penalties or negative plays.

Someone with some zip to him could be good.

While at WMU, Fleck's offense used the pass a fair amount. He also had Zach Terrell @ QB which may have been a difference. But its very obvious PJ's offense philosophy changed after he came to MN.

WMU Run:pass % Attempts game stats:
2013 47:53 37
2014 57:43 29
2015 57:43 31
2016 63:37 27

MN
2019 63:37 25

Last edited:

Top Bottom