2023 MN High School Football season

Better map here from the state:

3ARsuQ5.png

Look at how silly and childish the boundaries, and little carveouts are. God people are pedantic. I can only imagine individual families and farms banding together in the 70's or whenever the district was established to say "my kids ain't gonna go to that damn school!!!"
It was created in 1958, hence the name Centennial.

As usual, you have no clue how school districts evolved in the state of Minnesota. I've explained it, but you continue to spout your nonsense.

People simply move to cities above 10,000 people with amenities, services and jobs in the out state.

10 prep bowls since 6A started in 2012 (none in 2020). Of the 20 slots in 5A, Owatonna and Mankato West have earned 7.

Good for them, well more than I had realized.

Brainerd made it once. No other schools that can reasonably be called out state have.

Last edited:

10 prep bowls since 6A started in 2012 (none in 2020). Of the 20 slots, Owatonna and Mankato West have earned 7.

Brainerd made it once. No other schools that can reasonably be called out state have.
Are Brainard and Moore Head moving to 6A? I believe they have the numbers.

Moorhead is projecting to be there in the next couple of years
They are growing slower than other schools at the top of 5a
They may pass a couple 6a but they’ll end up getting passed by others in 5a at the same time IMO

10 prep bowls since 6A started in 2012 (none in 2020). Of the 20 slots in 5A, Owatonna and Mankato West have earned 7.

So you’re saying metro 5A teams should really play 6A?

Yeah. I feel like 6a was created so the Rochester schools, makatto schools, Brainerd, Alex could compete for state titles

It has successfully done it half the time
If Mayo hadn't been elevated to 6A, I think they would have had a strong chance to still be playing this weekend. They would have been the favorites to take Sec 1/5A. Quarters vs STA probably would have been a toss up.

Last edited:

If Mayo hadn't been elevated to 6A, I think they would have had a strong chance to still be playing this weekend. They would have been the favorites take Sec 1/5A. Quarters vs STA probably would have been a toss up.
Agree. Mayo was good. I worry for them next year in 6a

Their seniors were very good this year

Are Brainard and Moore Head moving to 6A? I believe they have the numbers.
Brainerd was 6A and dropped to 5A last year. Reclassification will happen again in 25-26. Brainerd is actually slightly losing enrollment as some nearby districts like Pequot Lakes have grown the size of their districts.

Last edited:

Well, it will be Chan or Andover vs STA for the title. So yes, all three are good candidates for “should be” in 6A over schools like Hopkins and Burnsville.

I’m sure it’s a fine place, as is Brainerd.

No need to fabricate any ill will or insults when I never said or implied any such thing.

This is high school discussion.
No, not only rich send their kids to private schools.
That’s why I would pro rate based on tuition paid.
Some people buy boats or cabins, some spend their money on their children’s education. I am guessing you want to be the one to be the arbitrator, but it could be tough to assign a neutral one.

Some people buy boats or cabins, some spend their money on their children’s education. I am guessing you want to be the one to be the arbitrator, but it could be tough to assign a neutral one.
We already have a neutral arbitrator and it’s the MSHSL enrollment formula.
I would love to charge the formula.
Good to know you dont want to change it

They are growing slower than other schools at the top of 5a
They may pass a couple 6a but they’ll end up getting passed by others in 5a at the same time IMO
They’re the fastest growing 5A with a new HS opening in the fall built for a significant number of more students. Who do you believe is growing faster? They were 33 the last round.

They’re the fastest growing 5A with a new HS opening in the fall built for a significant number of more students. Who do you believe is growing faster? They were 33 the last round.
They were 33

Elk River 39 much faster
Andover 34 about the same by town
Rogers 35 much faster

Elk River and Bemidji are currently separated by 8 kids per grade
Bemidji and Andover are currently separated by 1 kid.
Meaning if two kids at Andover qualify for free and reduced or two kids move in Andover would pass Bemidji.

100% they are passed by rogers.
50/50 passed by Andover.
Probably 50/50 elk River

Plus, they were recently passed by mayo so I don’t think they’re passing mayo.
The two I suspect will go down are Burnsville and Hopkins.
Burnsville moving down is almost a certainty.
Hopkins 50/50

So I would say rogers 100% up.
Burnsville 100% down.
Hopkins 50% down.
One of Elk River, Andover, Bemidji up. Probably about a 33% chance for each. But only 50% chance any of them go up.

So about a 17% chance they go up

Last edited:

Players named for annual All-Star Game. To be played Saturday, Dec 2 at the Vikings' stadium.

North roster

Andy Becker, RB, Kimball Area
Wyatt Bell, DL, Rogers
Zach Bengtson, K, Becker
Zach Bentler, DE, Two Harbors
Harrison Brun, OLB, Rockford
Logan Bunker, LB, Elk River
Mason Carrier, LB, Detroit Lakes
Tait Christensen, DE, Litchfield
Elijah Claussen, DL, Staples-Motley
Langden College, OLB, Robbinsdale Armstrong
KhiJohnn Cummings-Coleman, WR, Coon Rapids
Daylen Cummings, QB, Centennial
D'Mario Davenport, RB, Andover
Luke Dehnicke, WR, Andover
Mason Delzer, RB, New London-Spicer
Josh Dudgeon, OL, Dilworth-Glyndon-Felton
Joe Duerr, C, St. Michael-Albertville
Cadman Foley, OL, St. Agnes
Bryce Gapinski, DB, Foley
Nolan Geislinger, QB, Eden Valley-Watkins
Wyatt Gilmore, DE, Rogers
Evan Hatton, OLB, Mounds View
Matthew Heinen, LB, Champlin Park
Tykeilan Hyshaw-Moore, DB, Fridley
Ryan Kangas, WR, Win-E-Mac
Kyle Mages, DB, Osakis
Emerson Mandell, OL, Irondale
Peyton Menzel, WR, Hermantown
Grady Minnerath, DL, Rocori
Brody O'Keefe, FB, Dilworth-Glyndon-Felton
Wyatt Osterbauer, TE, Buffalo
Riley Peters, OL, Pequot Lakes
Mark Rendl, LB, Forest Lake
Zashon Rich, DB, Minneapolis North
Sawyer Rumohr, OL, Alexandria
Tanner Schmidt, WR, Stillwater
Brayden Staples, OLB, Alexandria
Will Steil, DB, Rocori
Owen Swedberg, OL, Totino-Grace
Marcus Whiting, DE, Centennial
Manny Wilson, OL, Wayzata
Mitchell Wind, OL, Brainerd
Rory Wyatt, DB, Minneapolis Patrick Henry
Azrie Yeager, C, Minneapolis North

Head coach: Jack Negen, Robbinsdale Armstrong. Assistant coaches: Greg Spahn (Grand Rapids), Ryan Bartlet (White Bear Lake), Dan Zubich (Montain Iron-Buhl), Darrell Salmi (Stillwater), Chad Gustafson (New London-Spicer).

South roster

Jide Abasiri, DE, Prior Lake
Dylan Banks, OLD, Cannon Falls
Quentin Cobb-Butler, WR, Woodbury
Sawyer DeSmet, TE, Minneota
Pierce Dols, OLB, Minneapolis Washburn
A.J. Donovan, K, La Crescent-Hokah
Alex Dreher, OL, St. Paul Central
Shane Engel-Mueller, DE, Waseca
Jared Fischer, OL, Edgerton
Joe Hager, OLB, Lakeville South
Jack Hansen, OL, Eagan
Savion Hart, RB, St. Thomas Academy
Ayden Helder, QB, Stewartville
Carter Holcomb, WR, Rochester Mayo
Caleb Jannsen, LB, Stewartville
Anton Kadlec, OL, Hutchinson
Owen Kemper, DB, Edina
Jayce Kiehne, DB, Fillmore Central
Teddy Knapp, TE, St. Thomas Academy
Antonio Menard, DE, Lakeville North
Bart McAninch, QB, Mankato West
Max Mogelson, DL, Two Rivers
Henry Novak, TE, New Prague
Michael Oftedahl, OL, Mound Westonka
Francis O'Malley, RB, Montevideo
Will Peroutka, DB, Rosemount
Levi Pooley, DB, Fairmont
Kyan Rauk, OL, Northfield
Will Roth, DL, Rochester Lourdes
Keegan Ryan, DB, Lake City
Mo Saine, DE, Eden Prairie
Will Sather, C, Eden Prairie
Mitch Seykora, OLB, Owatonna
Jalen Smith, WR, Mankato West
Luke Speedling, OL, Minnetonka
Easton Suess, DE, Kasson Mantorville
Ashton Toll, LB, Springfield
Jordan Tornstrom, C, Caledonia
Ryan Vosper, LB, Shakopee
Will Washington, DB, Apple Valley
Sawyer Wilkie, FB, Lakeville North
Maxwell Woods, RB, Chanhassen

Head coach: Nick David (Mound Westonka). Assistant coaches: Dirk Wells (Lakeville South), Chris Mensink (Fillmore Central), Joel Swanson (Kasson Mantorville), JJ Helget (Mankato West), Brad Johnson (Fairmont).

They were 33

Elk River 39 much faster
Andover 34 about the same by town
Rogers 35 much faster

Elk River and Bemidji are currently separated by 8 kids per grade
Bemidji and Andover are currently separated by 1 kid.
Meaning if two kids at Andover qualify for free and reduced or two kids move in Andover would pass Bemidji.

100% they are passed by rogers.
50/50 passed by Andover.
Probably 50/50 elk River

Plus, they were recently passed by mayo so I don’t think they’re passing mayo.
The two I suspect will go down are Burnsville and Hopkins.
Burnsville moving down is almost a certainty.
Hopkins 50/50

So I would say rogers 100% up.
Burnsville 100% down.
Hopkins 50% down.
One of Elk River, Andover, Bemidji up. Probably about a 33% chance for each. But only 50% chance any of them go up.

So about a 17% chance they go up
You’re incorrect. Don’t forget the free and reduced lunch factor. Moorhead will be the next 6A. Andover has zero growth according to their district. The building is maxed out by design. Statistics don’t lie. Enrollments we’re due to the department of education at the end of October

You’re incorrect. Don’t forget the free and reduced lunch factor. Moorhead will be the next 6A. Andover has zero growth according to their district. The building is maxed out by design. Statistics don’t lie. Enrollments we’re due to the department of education at the end of October
1) They don’t reclassify this year
2) that’s what the Moorhead people said last time and mayo passed them
3) rogers will 100% surpass Moorhead in enrollment
4) Andover does not have zero growth. It literally grew from the last classification number to the most recent one

5) I don’t know why I kept saying Bemidji instead of Moorhead and almost did it again 😂

Statistics don’t lie, you are correct. You do misinterpret statistics and clearly don’t have a grasp of the classification process

The Moorhead number went from 1668 in 2021-22 to 1626 in 23-24
That’s called negative growth
Andover went from 1605 to 1625, that’s called growth

Not sure why you are so passionate about this. But Andover I think is less likely to pass them then rogers and elk River.
Andover had 1.2% growth.
Moorhead had -2.6% growth

Maybe the Hangup is that I’m not talking about enrollment. I am talking about enrollment as calculated by the MSHSL for classification purposes

Last edited:

Ok, all the talk of Bemidji had me confused.

Moorhead is really unusual in that it's a city of 44,000 (I was surprised at this too), with one high school. Granted some kids might go to Shanley (Catholic) or Oak Grove (Lutheran) in Fargo, but there's no large private school in the city of Moorhead itself.

Also, it's such an outlier in size in the area. D-G-F has about 100 kids per class, but any other school district in the surrounding area (on the Minnesota side of the river) is really, really small.

Most of the kids that I knew who had parents who spent money on their educations were the same parents who had money to buy boats and cabins.

Most of the kids that I knew who had parents who spent money on their educations were the same parents who had money to buy boats and cabins.
He is really upset because I want to count Mayer Lutherans Enrollment as 182 instead of 165.
Because of this I am anti-religion

PS I went to catholic school 😂

Moorhead is really unusual in that it's a city of 44,000 (I was surprised at this too), with one high school. Granted some kids might go to Shanley (Catholic) or Oak Grove (Lutheran) in Fargo, but there's no large private school in the city of Moorhead itself.

Also, it's such an outlier in size in the area. D-G-F has about 100 kids per class, but any other school district in the surrounding area (on the Minnesota side of the river) is really, really small.
Yeah I don’t know why I kept saying Bemidji
That’s on me 😂

I mean both Moorhead and Bemidji have Northern Sun DII teams. :LOL:

Moorhead is a bedroom community for Fargo, so some kids I’m sure go with their parents across the river (not sure if allowed to enroll in ND public districts if living in MN).

According to this it would seem like there should be around 1900 or so aged 15-18: https://www.cityofmoorhead.com/about-the-city/demographics

So between private kids, alternative education, open enrollment etc. it’s probably right.

I didn’t do the math on population per year, but it’s probably skewed a bit in some non-average way. And again that’s probably because Moorhead really doesn’t need to have a full compliment of services/things that you’d expect of a 44k city out on its own, when it’s right next door to 180k or whatever of population.

Park Christian is the private in Moorhead. It's only ~45-50 per class K-12 but when the margins of schools moving classification is so tight, that is material.

Top Bottom