2023-24 National Championship: Michigan vs Washington

Who Wins

• Michigan

Votes: 54 62.8%
  • Washington

Votes: 32 37.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

I'll repeat what I said in another thread. I think losing the annual Jug game has made some fans forget how insufferable Michigan fans and alumni are. Go Huskies.

Unfortunately I think Michigan pulls it out.

Michigan will roll.

In this game I can't pull for Michigan. I did last game.

Go Washington! Who will lose.

Would like to see Washington win. Losing their RB really hurts them far more than anyone in the media will say as if you become purely one dimensional it gets near impossible. If Wash can protect Penix, I’ll take them. Think there’s too much firepower for Michigan to keep up and no explosives on the outside.
Michigan going to be hoping for a mucky 24-17 type game. Don’t see them rolling unless Washington is minus 2-3 in the TO department

I currently live in Seattle, and dislike the Wolverines in general, so I'm pulling for Washington to win.
This is the final game matchup I wanted though, so I was rooting for the Wolverines to beat Alabama. However, I think it would be fitting that the last true season of the Pac-12 football end with a National Championship.

Plus, I think it would be really cool to see the Washington Head coach win a National Championship at the top level of college football. He's got 3 NAIA national championships already and is 104–11 as a headcoach!!!!! He deserves it more than Harbaugh, IMO.

Penix is special. Quick release, fluid motion, deadly accuracy. But Michigan’s defense appears to be superior to the Huskies', and I suspect that will be the difference.
When I watched him for the Hoosiers, I didn't think he was all that much. He's vastly improved. Part of that is clearly him and part of it is the stellar supporting cast at Washington. He was awesome last night.

The Michigan run game will be too much for Washington to handle. That will allow scUM to control the clock and keep the ball out of M Penix hands.
For Washington to win, they have to get an early lead and make Michigan throw the ball more because of it. They need to win the toss and elect to receive then score on the opening drive.

I'm picking Michigan too. The defense is the difference. I'll be real interested to see if Penix can throw the 40 yards bombs constantly like he did against Texas. Man he had nice throws all over the place.
I'm going back and forth between the two of them. Mich defense was punishing against that massive Bama Oline. They all tackle hard...there were times when you could see the Bama players get up slower and look surprised after getting hit or tackled. Huskies have Penix and a high powered offense (better than Bama).

Michigan has a stud, 5-star corner, Will Johnson, and might be able to erase Washington’s best receiving threat. The question is how do they cover the other two because WA has three that will likely be drafted high? Will Johnson is 6’2” and they do have more height on their back end. Will that limit the success WA has on so many of those jump balls they seem to win? They are unbelievable at contested catches.

Michigan has a stud, 5-star corner, Will Johnson, and might be able to erase Washington’s best receiving threat. The question is how do they cover the other two because WA has three that will likely be drafted high? Will Johnson is 6’2” and they do have more height on their back end. Will that limit the success WA has on so many of those jump balls they seem to win? They are unbelievable at contested catches.
They’ve got 2 stud DBs in Johnson and Sainristl, however Harrison also lit them up. Will be interesting to see how they cover the trio for Washington with 3 guys who will be nfl contributors plus a TE who is as sure handed as they come as a safety valve. As much as people think Michigan just kills the clock, Washington also has the ability to slow a game down and kill it. They snap the ball late frequently. The tempo control will be a very interesting story line

Yea, I know the NIL valuations at on3 are only estimates (heavy on social media followers), but they're interesting. Let's see...

Washington's top 7 -- expensive -- has *three* wide receivers, an offensive tackle, and a star quarterback. They fit together like a sandwich. Or a swinging hammer.

1704244252961.png

And the Michigan side. Two cornerbacks and a running back in their top 7, among others.

1704244717922.png

On rather personal note, I saw both teams play in person this past season. Michigan at the Bank and Washington in Vegas for the PAC 12 Championship.

So I got that going for me, which is nice.

The only thing I know for sure is the defending National Champion next year will be a Big Ten team.

I could see either team winning this. It is either going to be a close win either way, or a comfortable Meatchicken victory. The only outcome I’d be surprised at would be a WA blowout of MI.

Washington has long been one of my favorite teams/schools outside of the B1G. I’ve watched several of their games this year. One thing I learned from these viewings is all those completed bombs from Penix are NOT flukes. He is almost impossible to sack and he throws laser beam deep balls to talented receivers. Their passing game regularly overcomes defenses even when those defenses are playing perfect coverage.

But WA hasn’t played a team as rugged and deep as MI. Plus the WA defense has let even average opponents hang around. WA is definitely good enough to win this game but if they played 10 times, I think MI would win 6. Maybe even 7.

The only thing I know for sure is the defending National Champion next year will be a Big Ten team.

I could see either team winning this. It is either going to be a close win either way, or a comfortable Meatchicken victory. The only outcome I’d be surprised at would be a WA blowout of MI.

Washington has long been one of my favorite teams/schools outside of the B1G. I’ve watched several of their games this year. One thing I learned from these viewings is all those completed bombs from Penix are NOT flukes. He is almost impossible to sack and he throws laser beam deep balls to talented receivers. Their passing game regularly overcomes defenses even when those defenses are playing perfect coverage.

But WA hasn’t played a team as rugged and deep as MI. Plus the WA defense has let even average opponents hang around. WA is definitely good enough to win this game but if they played 10 times, I think MI would win 6. Maybe even 7.
It is going to be crowded at the top tier of the Big Ten.

If Washington cannot run the football, I think Michigan will be able to bring endless exotic blitzes/coverages at Washington and they'll really beat up Penix. Penix has been so good, we forget how good Dillon Johnson and their running game has been. He ran for over 100 yards in both games against Oregon.

It is going to be crowded at the top tier of the Big Ten.
I think 4 of the best (not deserving to play in CFP) teams in the country this year are in the Big 10 next year.

I am more concerned about the direction the Gophers are going to take in the new Big Ten. Hope springs eternal.

Dillon Johnson expected to play -- or so they say.

“X-rays that were taken at the Superdome were negative.”

Johnson — who has produced 1,162 rushing yards, 5.2 yards per carry and 16 touchdowns in 14 games this fall — appeared to aggravate a foot injury on UW’s final offensive play of its 37-31 Sugar Bowl win over Texas.

Game on!

1704281294805.png

As an FYI, RB Dillon Johnson was a transfer portal player to Washington like other players to Washington, including their Heisman candidate QB Michael Penix.

1704282995037.png

Defense wins championships and there's none better than the Wolverines! I think the dbs will matchup well with the WA receivers and Penix will feel the pressure of the pass rush. It'll be the Huskies lowest scoring output of the season and lose by double digits.

Penix is soo good. watching him move around the pocket with ease and drop 30 yard dimes under pressure was an absolute treat. I think Mich will win because of their punishing defense and running game. Wolverines have no flaws, other than the blockhead coach.

If Washington cannot run the football, I think Michigan will be able to bring endless exotic blitzes/coverages at Washington and they'll really beat up Penix. Penix has been so good, we forget how good Dillon Johnson and their running game has been. He ran for over 100 yards in both games against Oregon.
said the same thing about Texas and we all saw how that went. Michigan only sacked Mccord once which is probably a much more similar passing style (quick hitters) vs the Bama deep shot predicated offense. Couple that with the best OL in the country this year and it's a way different monster that Wash has up front.

Agree that they have to be able to run enough to keep them honest so it's not just light boxes. Blitzing is not the way to beat Penix as it puts their WRs in 1v1s across the board and they will kill you. He sees the hot read way too easily and you don't want to live and die trying to bring heat and hoping he (and the OL) misses it. Think you beat him by getting pressure with your front 4 (easier said than done) and making him nickel and dime you down the field and hope you catch him get greedy like you see QBs all the way up to the pro level do. Just my .02.

Penix is soo good. watching him move around the pocket with ease and drop 30 yard dimes under pressure was an absolute treat. I think Mich will win because of their punishing defense and running game. Wolverines have no flaws, other than the blockhead coach.
think this ends up being a Mccarthy game with Washington loading the box. If he's efficient and hits the open guys (and provided his WRs can get some separation) while hanging onto the ball (he's still in the phase where he holds the ball too much to try make something magical happen), Michigan will move the ball really well.

What I find interesting is these two teams play each other next year in the B1G. In fact plays all the teams in the final 4 plus tOSU, USC, and Penn State. Could be 6 losses.

I'll repeat what I said in another thread. I think losing the annual Jug game has made some fans forget how insufferable Michigan fans and alumni are. Go Huskies.

Unfortunately I think Michigan pulls it out.
The older GHs still remember how insufferable Michigan fans are. Today, it starts with the coach.
My only wish is that a team that will be playing in the B1G in 2024 wins the championship.

If the Michigan pass rush has success like it did against Bama, I would be worried for thr Huskies chances, but I'm rooting for them.

Dillon Johnson expected to play -- or so they say.

“X-rays that were taken at the Superdome were negative.”

Johnson — who has produced 1,162 rushing yards, 5.2 yards per carry and 16 touchdowns in 14 games this fall — appeared to aggravate a foot injury on UW’s final offensive play of its 37-31 Sugar Bowl win over Texas.

Game on!

View attachment 29329
Why would they announce this more than an hour before the game? :cool:

Top Bottom