2022 Transfer Portal Discussion

It's strange that Garcia hasn't entered the portal given the circumstances. That naturally leads to speculation about whether something else is up. Could it be that he's not sure that he wants to play in the upcoming season? Could it be that he may have an academic eligibility problem?
Maybe he doesn't want to get pestered and is just working out the details with Ben and the U of M...
Otherwise he would already be in the portal.

Maybe he doesn't want to get pestered and is just working out the details with Ben and the U of M...
Otherwise he would already be in the portal.

If he's working out the details with Ben and the U of M without being in the portal, that is explicitly forbidden. Yes, I'm sure it happens but it's not supposed to work that way.

If he's working out the details with Ben and the U of M without being in the portal, that is explicitly forbidden. Yes, I'm sure it happens but it's not supposed to work that way.
I don't know the transfer portal rules. Is it forbidden for a player to contact a school? I totally get that the school can't contact the player...

I don't know the transfer portal rules. Is it forbidden for a player to contact a school? I totally get that the school can't contact the player...

Not sure but it could be. Even if it is not forbidden for a player to contact a school, it is forbidden for the coaching staff to have recruiting discussions with the player unless he's in the portal.

Commitments have definitely started to pick up but it is still a small percentage of the total players in the portal that have found new homes.
Fair, there are a whole bunch of guys out there, but also I would say 75%+ of them are nowhere near good enough for the B1G. So sure the numbers are there, but the quality is going to start falling quickly.

Not sure but it could be. Even if it is not forbidden for a player to contact a school, it is forbidden for the coaching staff to have recruiting discussions with the player unless he's in the portal.
I would assume the chat turns to "shads of gray" imedietly once Ben picks up that phone and Dawson says coach "I'm thinking bout coming home, how do you feel and how do I fit"

I would assume the chat turns to "shads of gray" imedietly once Ben picks up that phone and Dawson says coach "I'm thinking bout coming home, how do you feel and how do I fit"

The simple thing to do if that occurred would be to tell Garcia that he can't discuss transferring with him until he enters the portal. He could enter the portal and be there for only one day before he commits but he has to enter the portal.

It's strange that Garcia hasn't entered the portal given the circumstances. That naturally leads to speculation about whether something else is up. Could it be that he's not sure that he wants to play in the upcoming season? Could it be that he may have an academic eligibility problem?
Considering the draft and/or other pro opportunities? He did declare last year, I think, before pulling back.

Fair, there are a whole bunch of guys out there, but also I would say 75%+ of them are nowhere near good enough for the B1G. So sure the numbers are there, but the quality is going to start falling quickly.

That's probably a fair percentage assumption although maybe it's not that high. Depends on what you mean as "good enough for the Big Ten." At least 30% of Big Ten scholarship players play pretty limited minutes.

Considering the draft and/or other pro opportunities? He did declare last year, I think, before pulling back.

Yes, but I believe a player must enter the portal this year by May 1st (obviously he still has time) to receive consideration for next year eligibility. We saw that the LA Tech player entered his name in the portal recently and he had declared for the draft.

Well, programs tend to try to clean those things up when they get caught. Exhibit A is Minnesota.
UNC Go HEELS! doesn't clean up anything. Business as usual, to the FF we go!

Minnesota, on the other hand, bares its chest and provides the swords.

Details, details that MNVCGUY ignores, on purpose.

I too am very impatient so I thought I would look up when we got our commitments for last years portal's crop.

Luke Loewe entered Portal on March 26th and Committed on April 2nd, 1 week elapsed time to commitment

Sean Sutherlin entered Portal on April 1 and Committed on April 12, 11 days elapsed time to commitment

Payton Willis entered Portal on April 1st and Committed on April 16th, 15 days elapsed time to commitment

Jamison Battle entered Portal on March 8th and Committed on March 29th, 3 weeks elapsed time to commitment

Charlie Daniels entered Portal on May 15th and Committed on June 7th, 3 weeks elapsed time to commitment

Parker Fox entered Portal on March 22 and Committed on April 15th, ~3.5 weeks elapsed time to commitment

EJ Stephens entered Portal on March 7th and Committed on April 3rd, ~4 weeks elapsed time to commitment

Ogele is not even listed on the 247 transfer roster so I don't know when he entered the transfer portal but he committed on July 17th according to his twitter account. Since he was the least impactful player on the court and his addition was in response to Ihnen's injury I won't bother to include him in the calculations below.

Taking this all together, the average time it takes from portal to committment is 18.7 days. Since the championship game is on April 4th along with the fact the high impact on court players on our team (except charlie), had all entered the portal by April 1st I would expect all but 1, maybe 2, transfer players to commit by April 23rd. I would also expect to get at least one commitment within the next week to 10 days. Excitement is building!
I am bumping this very informative Ragnor post about the timing of last year's commits:

Summary:
March 29- Battle April 2- Loewe, April 3-Stephens, April 12- Sutherlin, April 15-Fox, April 16- Willis
Daniels and Ogele came in June and July....

Essentially, our business of filling a whole roster from nothin' last year was done by April 16th. Nobody they got afterwards helped.

While this timing isn't definitive, it is a good benchmark.

Again, H/T to Ragnor for an outstanding bit of research!

Larson to CoC, which begs the question, did we cool on him? :) I think that was probably the right level for him, he didnt feel/look like a B1G player to me. Maybe should say at least one who didnt get a big minute load, back up sure.

Top Bottom