2022-23 Schedule Game Times

Swaggerson

Bank Sect 112 Barn Sect 102
Reaction score
Over the years I have learned to adjust to the early weekday starts...but I do dislike them. As I was adding the 2022-23 games to my calendar I noticed a couple of crazy game times. Illinois (at home) is 5 PM on a Monday (1/16) and OSU on the road is 530 on a Thursday (1/12). This is getting absurd.

Over the years I have learned to adjust to the early weekday starts...but I do dislike them. As I was adding the 2022-23 games to my calendar I noticed a couple of crazy game times. Illinois (at home) is 5 PM on a Monday (1/16) and OSU on the road is 530 on a Thursday (1/12). This is getting absurd.
TV Rules, but having said that the 1/16/23 game is on MLK Day. Most fans have that day off (work or school), thus the twilight start I presume.

I would guess free parking if you can find a meter near the Barn that day in either Stadium Village or Dinkytown.

TV Rules, but having said that the 1/16/23 game is on MLK Day. Most fans have that day off (work or school), thus the twilight start I presume.

I would guess free parking if you can find a meter near the Barn that day in either Stadium Village or Dinkytown.
Good call on MLK...missed that

The 6:30 EST start in Columbus is not really a surprise. Otherwise it would be an 8:30pm start there. We have always had a game or two every year on the East Coast that starts at 5:30pm CST.

Those seem like normal and valid game times to me. People want every game televised but somehow want them all at 7pm local time for a conference that spans 2 (soon to be more) time zones.

I'd venture to say- most fans will have MLK as a regular work day.

I'd venture to say- most fans will have MLK as a regular work day.
It's a close call, but Google searching it's about 45% of companies. Not sure if that includes government workers/teachers, which would get it even closer to 50/50. Lot's of parents with kids take it as a PTO/vacation day to align with a school holiday.

In terms of semantics I would feel comfortable in saying most (ie 50.1%) of Gopher fans are not working or going to school that day, but it would fall within a margin of error that it could be proven incorrect.

Since it's a Federal and NYSE Stock Exchange Holiday anything in banking/finance is closed, but that would be factored into the 45%.

As a corollary, far more employees are working from home both either full time or hybrid, with a much more flexible hours. A less rigid schedule makes being able to make it to the Barn for a 5pm game.

This is a long winded answer indeed. I also recognize, there is likely a sizable portion of Gopher fans in which having a 5 PM tip (even on MLK Day) as opposed to 6:30 PM or later, makes it more difficult to attend. Impossible to accommodate everyone all the time.

The new TV/Streaming world. It's not going to get better when the new contract kicks in.

Those seem like normal and valid game times to me. People want every game televised but somehow want them all at 7pm local time for a conference that spans 2 (soon to be more) time zones.
It does seem like BTN2 is going to have to become a thing once we go to 16 and there will have to be games played in the same window sometimes. As great as every game being on national TV is, it was also cool when there were like 4 games every Wednesday night at 7, as long as you paid for the ESPN full court (is that even still a thing?)

Top Bottom