2022-23 B1G coaches seat check

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
Was thinking about this earlier today and decided to get others input. I feel there are a couple tiers and it would be nice if this didn’t turn into a Ben Johnson thread.

Sitting on ice
Painter-I mean its arctic on his ass
Collins-This could melt like the ice caps in a year or two but for now? Stay cool coach.
Izzo-I just don’t see them moving on.
Woodson-Too new and too many wins. Even for
Indiana. Add a pair of sweatpants to prevent frostbite…for now.
Fran-even his red face can’t warm his seat. Just too many wins as of late.
Willard-too new and having a solid season. Not remarkable but it’s year 1.
Pickiell-RAC rocks. He has built them into a formidable squad. Patience for all supporters of new coaches.
Shrewsberry-solid squad and only year 2. Do not see them making a move.

Cold but what if…
Underwood-he seems grating and difficult. Didn’t win much with Cockburn and Ayo. Can he do better? I wouldn’t move on. But I’m not their AD.
Johnson-I don’t see a move being made after year 2 unless there is a no doubt hire. And even then I don’t see see it.

Warming up…
Howard-He hasn’t done anything of note. Disappointing season. Has two kids on scholarship. Michigan doesn’t stand for mediocrity…though maybe it should?
Hoiberg-Not sure what people expect but I expected more from him at Nebraska.

Hot
Gard-Seems to be on his way out. Wisco athletics making moves. Has to be someone out there they want.

En Fuego
Holtmann-His team sucks. Would be very surprised if he back next year. Deep pockets and a demanding fan base.

Was thinking about this earlier today and decided to get others input. I feel there are a couple tiers and it would be nice if this didn’t turn into a Ben Johnson thread.

Sitting on ice
Collins-This could melt like the ice caps in a year or two but for now? Stay cool coach.
Pickiell-RAC rocks. He has built them into a formidable squad. Patience for all supporters of new coaches.

Cold but what if…
Underwood-he seems grating and difficult. Didn’t win much with Cockburn and Ayo. Can he do better? I wouldn’t move on. But I’m not their AD.
Johnson-I don’t see a move being made after year 2 unless there is a no doubt hire. And even then I don’t see see it.

Warming up…
Howard-He hasn’t done anything of note. Disappointing season. Has two kids on scholarship. Michigan doesn’t stand for mediocrity…though maybe it should?

Hot
Gard-Seems to be on his way out. Wisco athletics making moves. Has to be someone out there they want.

En Fuego
Holtmann-His team sucks. Would be very surprised if he back next year. Deep pockets and a demanding fan base.
Good topic and post- txs

I don't see Underwood's being warm at all. 8-6 in the Big10 in a little bit of a reload this year and 15-5 last year, tied for the Big10 regular season championship?

I haven't heard any rumblings of moving on from Illinois fans I know. Nor should they.

Good OP.

I'd be surprised if Gard was on the hot seat, he has won 2 of last 3 Big Ten championships. That being said, their new AD seemingly is aggressive and Gard hasn't done much in the post-season and this year they'll likely miss the Tournament. Next year could get interesting.

Go Gophers!!

I don't see Underwood's being warm at all. 8-6 in the Big10 in a little bit of a reload this year and 15-5 last year, tied for the Big10 regular season championship?

I haven't heard any rumblings of moving on from Illinois fans I know. Nor should they.

Agreed. But I still see Illinois as a potential big time job. Not sure who would go there though. Underwood seems difficult as a person.

Ohio State has a top ten rated recruiting class coming in next year. I wonder if that buys Holtman some more time.

Unless I’m misinterpreting your notes, Howard hasn’t done anything? He finished 1st in the B1G (his second ever as an head coach) and has an elite 8 and sweet 16 in the 2 years he’s been there that wasn’t cancelled due to Covid.

Underwood on the other hand has massively underperformed with the talent he’s had there.

Sitting on ice

Cold but what if…

Warming up…

Hot

En Fuego
Oh you just happened to post another headline about firing basketball coaches.

This stinking yellow aimed at Gopher fans is really just rain?

Some folks like talking about coaches. Up and Under is one of them. Calm down we have a thread about this stuff every year and our team isn’t good this year. Rather discuss other teams than continuing to talk about whether Ben sucks or we should be patient.

Wisconsin firing Gard (probably because they think they can get Tony Bennett) would be a dream scenario for us. Same with Holtmann. Those are two really good coaches who’ve won a lot of games. I wouldn’t be surprised if Holtmann left for a different job though.

Unless I’m misinterpreting your notes, Howard hasn’t done anything? He finished 1st in the B1G (his second ever as an head coach) and has an elite 8 and sweet 16 in the 2 years he’s been there that wasn’t cancelled due to Covid.
Howard’s fall is going to happen quickly imo. He’s running such a loose ship over there it will collapse. He will jump back to the NBA in a year or two I think. Probably once his younger son goes pro.
Underwood on the other hand has massively underperformed with the talent he’s had there.
Underwood is a good coach, but his preferred style just doesn’t fit the conference. He’s adjusted, but he does better it seems like without talent and more grind it out guys.

I honestly don’t know if you’re a bit or not.

If you read the post you’d see my thoughts on Johnson who is the second coming of John Wooden.

Interesting topic, but some absurd takes in your rankings.

I don't think Underwood or Howard are remotely on the hot seat.

Gard...they've had some weird issues recently there, but would still be surprised if he was let go.

Good OP.

I'd be surprised if Gard was on the hot seat, he has won 2 of last 3 Big Ten championships. That being said, their new AD seemingly is aggressive and Gard hasn't done much in the post-season and this year they'll likely miss the Tournament. Next year could get interesting.

Go Gophers!!
My thoughts, too. I haven't been thinking about Gard's job security, as I've considered him one of the league's best coaches. But yes, they moved hard and fast on Chryst in the middle of a down season, which borderline shocked me. I guess anything could happen.

Some folks like talking about coaches. Up and Under is one of them. Calm down we have a thread about this stuff every year and our team isn’t good this year. Rather discuss other teams than continuing to talk about whether Ben sucks or we should be patient.

Thanks. This thread isn’t about Ben Johnson. I just threw out some takes and figured it can be a fun convo. Lots of stability in the conference right now. Could be the same 14 coaches next year which I would imagine is rare.

Underwood is warm from the people I know. And I believe Howard will bolt too in a couple years, you're right that they don't want much of what they are getting this year. Johnson will start warming up after this season. Hoiberg is a dead man walking.

Howard’s fall is going to happen quickly imo. He’s running such a loose ship over there it will collapse. He will jump back to the NBA in a year or two I think. Probably once his younger son goes pro.
That wouldn't shock me in the least. He also seems like a pretty big dick on top of it. I only had exception to the comment "that he hadn't done anything". He arguably had one of the best first three years as a head coach in P6 basketball in quite some time, and did it at his alma mater with all of the pressure that does with being at Michigan. How many coaches come fresh into coaching, and win their conference and get to an elite 8 within the first 2 years? Pretty rare company.

That wouldn't shock me in the least. He also seems like a pretty big dick on top of it. I only had exception to the comment "that he hadn't done anything". He arguably had one of the best first three years as a head coach in P6 basketball in quite some time, and did it at his alma mater with all of the pressure that does with being at Michigan. How many coaches come fresh into coaching, and win their conference and get to an elite 8 within the first 2 years? Pretty rare company.

I didnt explain that well at all. Biggest regret of my off the cuff write up. Also didn’t want to write a novel on the rise and fall of juwan Howard’s coaching at Michigan and how his success has been heavily tied to upper classmen. His best season was 20-21. He had a star freshman (Dickinson) and sophomore (F Wagner) followed by a bunch of seniors. Like 10 on the roster and 6 playing key roles. I think? Some were grad transfers. That’s the key to him. But he hasn’t been able to replicate it. Franz was there due to the previous regime. He took over a wonderful program. One great year followed by 19-15 and currently 14-12. So he did do something…but the further the team gets from Beilein the worse it seems to get. Of his top 5 in minutes this year there are 0 seniors. And he seems like a dick.

Thanks. This thread isn’t about Ben Johnson. I just threw out some takes and figured it can be a fun convo. Lots of stability in the conference right now. Could be the same 14 coaches next year which I would imagine is rare.
Yeah my prediction is no coach is fired this year. Could see a couple leave on their own.

Yeah he also broke the NBA and former all star player stigma of winning too. I really think he benefited from Beilien leaving the cupboard strong for him, but also Michigan supporting him with a good staff (Martelli and Eisley). Howard himself was well thought of in NBA assistant circles from my understanding

Find our way out of the bottom 4 and have some momentum going into the JR/SR years of our current Freshmen.

Underwood is warm from the people I know. And I believe Howard will bolt too in a couple years, you're right that they don't want much of what they are getting this year. Johnson will start warming up after this season. Hoiberg is a dead man walking.

I feel validated!!

If so about Underwood, I find that surprising. He's done a fantastic job in my opinion and done things the right way, which is difficult in that environment. Groce was an impressive guy, and he had a dickens of a time getting it done there.

There is no doubt that Gard can coach.
But, and a big but is that he cannot recruit the talent WI expects from the Bo Ryan era.
He did have a lottery pick for the NBA last year that covered a multitude of sins in the WI team.
He will be recruiting and coaching for his job next year.
He may be forced to let go of some assistant coaches for better recruiters.
If the WI AD could fire Chryst he can fire Gard.

There is no doubt that Gard can coach.
But, and a big but is that he cannot recruit the talent WI expects from the Bo Ryan era.
He did have a lottery pick for the NBA last year that covered a multitude of sins in the WI team.
He will be recruiting and coaching for his job next year.
He may be forced to let go of some assistant coaches for better recruiters.
If the WI AD could fire Chryst he can fire Gard.
Gard and Chryst are different. Gard is pretty revered within the department. Chryst had a few more battles in that sense. Gard also hasn’t struggled to the same level Chryst did the last two years

Can Hoiberg do enough to stay another year in Lincoln? He has won 3 straight.
OSU continues to suck—8 straight losses. Wisconsin lost to an average Michigan team. Doesn’t help the tourney resume or job security.

Weirdly, if Wisconsin wasn't in such a free fall, I'd like our chances against them. But if they keep losing like this, they're almost guaranteed to beat the Gophs on the 5th.

Top Bottom