2021 Other Bowl Games Thread

With ESPN owning all the major bowls you get a situation like the Sugar Bowl tonight where the broadcasters are nobodies and not good because ESPN doesn’t have enough depth in their talent roster to cover that many games. Think about in the golden period in the late 70s/early 80s where there was high level talent calling the Rose Bowl (Dick Enberg and Merlin Olson) and Orange Bowl (Don Criqui and Bob Trumpy) on NBC and the Sugar Bowl (Keith Jackson and a host of color guys) on ABC. That’s when the New Year’s Day bowls were something special and fun.
You’re going to make me weep if u keep posting like this.

With ESPN owning all the major bowls you get a situation like the Sugar Bowl tonight where the broadcasters are nobodies and not good because ESPN doesn’t have enough depth in their talent roster to cover that many games. Think about in the golden period in the late 70s/early 80s where there was high level talent calling the Rose Bowl (Dick Enberg and Merlin Olson) and Orange Bowl (Don Criqui and Bob Trumpy) on NBC and the Sugar Bowl (Keith Jackson and a host of color guys) on ABC. That’s when the New Year’s Day bowls were something special and fun.
Yeah it sucks. Would be fun to have Fox guys calling bowls. CBS guys calling bowls. NBC guys calling bowls.

I think context matters IMO. If you’re Purdue playing in the Music City Bowl, I guess I don’t have as much of a problem with Karlaftis and Bell opting out. I don’t like it, but it’s the Music City Bowl. I think OSU players sitting out of the Rose Bowl and Pickett sitting out the Peach Bowl for a 10th ranked team (and a very big deal for a program like Pitt) are much worse.
“Context” is why the world is a mess.

The announcer thing is spot on. We'll never see that kind of talent again spread out like that.

It's driving me nuts as well that these two are toeing the company line here, how Corral was "doing things the right way" by not opting out, like it's some noble thing to do. They're covering the asses of their network and their idiot co-workers Herbstreit and Howard.

For some. For others it's job training for the NFL.

And Matt Corral just got injured in the Sugar Bowl. He was a projected top ten pick. What if this costs him millions? Good decision to be a "team guy?"
Then he shouldn’t play football. Any guy can get hurt on any play in any game. That’s the risk/reward of it.
He could get hurt getting out of bed tomorrow. None of these guys should probably leave their bed until the draft is over. That’s the only way to (likely) be assured of not getting injured.

Last edited:

Corral probably has an ankle sprain. It sucks for him that he has to miss the rest of the game he clearly wanted to play in, but it's unlikely it has much of an effect on the draft stock of a QB.

QB is the position that most "should" play in a bowl, given their outsized impact on the team and that it's pretty difficult to deal a career ending injury to a pocket passing QB.

Does anyone have any footage of Desmond Howard or Kirk Herbstreit ripping Brian Kelly for abandoning Notre Dame when they still had a shot at The CFP? I mean wouldn’t want him to quit on his team or anything

Good thing ESPN doesn't have the Sun Bowl yet or we would have gotten the Aggievision crew driving over from Las Cruces to cover that one opposite the CFP.

Corral probably has an ankle sprain. It sucks for him that he has to miss the rest of the game he clearly wanted to play in, but it's unlikely it has much of an effect on the draft stock of a QB.

QB is the position that most "should" play in a bowl, given their outsized impact on the team and that it's pretty difficult to deal a career ending injury to a pocket passing QB.
I hope that's the case. I don't like to see guys get seriously hurt. Nobody should.
I also hope those Ole Miss boosters gave him truckloads of cash under the table in case this does affect him financially.

For some. For others it's job training for the NFL.

And Matt Corral just got injured in the Sugar Bowl. He was a projected top ten pick. What if this costs him millions? Good decision to be a "team guy?"
The way I look at it, there aren’t many injuries left out there that are “major” that should drop your status that much. With how good sports medicine has become, things like ACLs just aren’t that big of a deal anymore. There are certainly things like Achilles, and freak injuries like Teddy Bridewater, Alex Smith, etc. that could have a major effect on your draft prospects, but those are very rare.

With how thin the QB crop is this year, and how QB starved teams are, I doubt his stock drops much, if at all. Even if it does, and he drops to mid or late first round, in the end it may be a blessing, as you’re probably going to a better team and may have better long term prospects. How much do you think Lawrence is enjoying playing for the Jags? Or the BYU kid for the Jets? Compare that to Mac Jones in NE, taken later in the first round.

Obviously, this is easy for me to say as I have nothing to lose.

I'd be interested to know exactly how those policies are worded. Do they get activated if the kid never plays again, or are they based on some sort of draft projection. Thinking of Jake Butt, the TE from Michigan who tore his ACL in the Orange Bowl. His draft status dropped, and he didn't have much of an NFL career due to that injury.

As for how injured Corral is, he just came out on crutches.
Loss of Value Policy - started with Jaylon Smith’s injury.
Explains it - a bit in the linked article.

Last edited:

As noted in my previous post it would be surprising if he didn’t have an insurance policy.

also do u know 💯 % how serious it is?
Or are u just assuming it is a serious injury which affects his draft status?
Insurance policies are really hard to get paid on. Look at Willis McGahee.

Does anyone have any footage of Desmond Howard or Kirk Herbstreit ripping Brian Kelly for abandoning Notre Dame when they still had a shot at The CFP? I mean wouldn’t want him to quit on his team or anything
They absolutely should rip him. He f’d his team over hard core. And the University that has given him tens of millions of dollars to coach football. And looked the other way when he had culpability in a kids death. But yeah, he should show no loyalty to them…

It's driving me nuts that some can't accept he WAS doing the right thing.

Eff a bunch of opting out.
For whom was he doing the right thing? This was his last game for Ole Miss - he has no value to them after today, but they still get their bowl money, don't they?

Insurance policies are really hard to get paid on. Look at Willis McGahee.
He took out a $2.5 million policy - literally hours prior to the Fiesta Bowl and it was written in a way where he’d get paid if his injury prevented him from ever playing in the NFL. Things changed after that and, more than likely, will continue to.

He took out a $2.5 million policy - literally hours prior to the Fiesta Bowl and it was written in a way where he’d get paid if his injury prevented him from ever playing in the NFL. Things changed after that and, more than likely, will continue to.
I know of 0 instances where they’ve paid large sums to anyone. If you have some examples where people got paid I’d honestly love to see it.

Then he shouldn’t play football. Any guy can get hurt on any play in any game. That’s the risk/reward of it.
He could get hurt getting out of bed tomorrow. None of these guys should probably leave their bed until the draft is over. That’s the only way to (likely) be assured of not getting injured.
Ohio State had four all-B1G players opting out of the Rose Bowl, and three of them were All-Americans this year: Olave and Wilson, receivers, and Petit-Free, offensive tackle. The fourth, Haskel Garrett, a defensive tackle, would have come in handy in the first half. All players should play in bowl games. They can't opt out of selective games during the season, and the bowl is part of the season.

For whom was he doing the right thing? This was his last game for Ole Miss - he has no value to them after today, but they still get their bowl money, don't they?
For himself. His teammates. His coaches. His university. Fans. He's a member of a team. Play the season.

He's still getting his scholarship money, isn't he?

I know of 0 instances where they’ve paid large sums to anyone. If you have some examples where people got paid I’d honestly love to see it.
Ifo Ekpre-Olomu was paid out $3M for sliding all the way to the 7th round.

I think most of those policies are paid out by how far down they slip in the draft.

Google - Ifro Ekpe-Olumu Insurance Payout.
He was paid $3,000,000 on Loss of Value policy.
Ed Chester, Marcus Lattimore LOV compensation - both over $1,000,000. Lattimore’s was $1.7 million I believe.

Last edited:

What the hell is wrong with Baylor's offense? Only points on a pick 6 in the first half.

Top Bottom