2020 College Transfer Portal

I'm pretty disappointed in this. It makes me think the staff knows something that we do not. Barring someone else coming here, he would have likely gotten significant PT next season.

and I don't think he would have gotten much run next year either....he would have been about in the same place as he was this past year....wish him well. but he was never going to see much PT here

He was our 6th WR this year and likely would have been no higher than 5th next year behind Bateman, CAB, Douglass and Green. Plus we have some pretty talented freshmen coming in and the rumors about a JD transfer.
I think VanDyne is talented and a few years ago would have been one of the top WRs on the team. I view this as an example of PJ out recruiting existing players.

He is a completely different ball player than Douglass. Douglass and Van Dyne will do different things.

He would have been competing with Green, IMO, and I think he would have won that competition.

We have about 22 WR's coming in on the next class, so we can't keep everyone.
I was hoping to see him play more after that fine catch.

Good luck to him wherever he ends up. Unless if it's Iowa or WI.

This tells me either PJ likes what he has on campus behind Bateman, DD, CAB and/or likes what he has coming in via recruiting class and/or transfer.

Or maybe we are going to a two tight end, two running back package!

Surprised about HVD because I figured he'd get solid run next year. Guess he saw things differently (or was told such). Wish him well and hope he had an elite few years on campus.

He is a completely different ball player than Douglass. Douglass and Van Dyne will do different things.

He would have been competing with Green, IMO, and I think he would have won that competition.
Of course Douglass is different than Van Dyne. That doesn’t mean he isn’t better.

Of course Douglass is different than Van Dyne. That doesn’t mean he isn’t better.

I didn't really argue he is better, I argued that he would see the field quite a bit next year and Douglass wouldn't really impact that a whole lot.

Personally, I think Fleck is going to be putting Bateman and/or CAB in the slot quite a bit next year (like he did with TJ) and I am not 100% sure Douglass is a natural fit on the outside. Van Dyne is/was.

I think he would have gotten quite a few snaps with one of those guys in the slot.

So yeah, like I said, I didn't argue he was better.

What makes one think he would get significant time when he has 1 catch through three years? There were a couple red-shirted this year and 3 of our top 5 recruits are WR's.

The same reason why I think Wiley and Potts will be in the battle for PT next year. They played with the reserves, they appear talented and they play a position where we lose some people.

Van Dyne brings a slightly different element than Douglass (as I explained in my other post). I think there would be times/plays where Douglass would be in the game and times/plays where Van Dyne would have been in the game.

The real competition would have been between Seth Green and Van Dyne for that outside receiver position and I think they were pretty close.

It's not a big deal, I'm not like super worried about him transferring and I get why he would do it. I just think he had a real chance of cracking our rotation next year.

CJ Smith was a star with the Bison that stuck around until the final cut by the Eagles. His #6 would be available if this new CJ is any good.

The same reason why I think Wiley and Potts will be in the battle for PT next year. They played with the reserves, they appear talented and they play a position where we lose some people.

Van Dyne brings a slightly different element than Douglass (as I explained in my other post). I think there would be times/plays where Douglass would be in the game and times/plays where Van Dyne would have been in the game.

The real competition would have been between Seth Green and Van Dyne for that outside receiver position and I think they were pretty close.

It's not a big deal, I'm not like super worried about him transferring and I get why he would do it. I just think he had a real chance of cracking our rotation next year.
I just think it's odd that someone that hasn't seen the field in 3 seasons is all of a sudden going to get run. Green and Van Dyne are not the 3rd receiver and likely were not going to see action outside spot duty. Green is a TE playing wildcat and lining up at WR once in a while.

Playing rosters at the P5 level continue to get younger with players transferring to play if they haven't by year 2 or 3.

I agree 100% that Potts and Wiley will see action and be in the mix.

I didn't really argue he is better, I argued that he would see the field quite a bit next year and Douglass wouldn't really impact that a whole lot.

Personally, I think Fleck is going to be putting Bateman and/or CAB in the slot quite a bit next year (like he did with TJ) and I am not 100% sure Douglass is a natural fit on the outside. Van Dyne is/was.

I think he would have gotten quite a few snaps with one of those guys in the slot.

So yeah, like I said, I didn't argue he was better.
Barring JDS or a younger guy really exploding, I would assume Bateman and CAB are solidly our #1 and #2 receivers.

Don't you usually put your best guys out the widest? That is an honest question, I have no idea.

I think the move is premature by him. I think he was likely to see rotation next season.

Maybe, but at best he was probably looking at being the #4 guy and that assumes he isn't passed by any of the redshirts or true freshmen. If he wants to see the field a lot then dropping down to another school makes a lot of sense.

Would think he would have a pretty good read about where he was going to fit into the mix next season. Clearly he feels exploring his options is the best way to go.

Also, just entering the portal doesn't mean he is for sure gone. He could still end up staying if he doesn't find a fit to his liking somewhere else.

Last edited:

Barring JDS or a younger guy really exploding, I would assume Bateman and CAB are solidly our #1 and #2 receivers.

Don't you usually put your best guys out the widest? That is an honest question, I have no idea.

TJ and Bateman were both in the slot quite a bit last year, especially on third downs (especially TJ). CAB is good there as well.

TJ and Bateman were both in the slot quite a bit last year, especially on third downs (especially TJ). CAB is good there as well.
The idea that the best receivers are always boundary receivers has fallen out of favor for a while. Often it is best to move wide receivers to the spot where they can face the easiest match-up.

I just think it's odd that someone that hasn't seen the field in 3 seasons is all of a sudden going to get run. Green and Van Dyne are not the 3rd receiver and likely were not going to see action outside spot duty. Green is a TE playing wildcat and lining up at WR once in a while.

Playing rosters at the P5 level continue to get younger with players transferring to play if they haven't by year 2 or 3.

I agree with you on Green, so now we are talking about the #4 WR on a team that often spreads it out a lot. He is also completely different than the #3 (Douglass). I am not saying Van Dyne would have played more than Douglass, in my head, they would have played in different sets.

I understand why he transferred and I am in no way blaming anyone for my slight disappointment. My disappointment could be completely unwarranted - maybe someone is coming, maybe there is a player that I do not know about at practice that is better than him, maybe Seth Green is better than him. I get it.

I think he would have been the 3/4/5 WR on the team next year on a team with a good QB that is likely to spread it out a bit more.

I agree with you on Green, so now we are talking about the #4 WR on a team that often spreads it out a lot. He is also completely different than the #3 (Douglass). I am not saying Van Dyne would have played more than Douglass, in my head, they would have played in different sets.

I understand why he transferred and I am in no way blaming anyone for my slight disappointment. My disappointment could be completely unwarranted - maybe someone is coming, maybe there is a player that I do not know about at practice that is better than him, maybe Seth Green is better than him. I get it.

I think he would have been the 3/4/5 WR on the team next year on a team with a good QB that is likely to spread it out a bit more.

There are a number of guys on the roster at the WR position that have not played yet. I would bet there is a very good chance that Van Dyne saw the writing on the wall in terms of his place in the mix with the guys that are here now and the guys that are coming.

I agree with the bolded - but it isn't unheard of. Whenever I see a statement like that I think of Nate Triplett. Not only got run after 3-years of almost all ST play, but parlayed it into getting drafted. Sometimes players have the talent to do it - all they need is an opportunity.

I agree with the bolded - but it isn't unheard of. Whenever I see a statement like that I think of Nate Triplett. Not only got run after 3-years of almost all ST play, but parlayed it into getting drafted. Sometimes players have the talent to do it - all they need is an opportunity.

Yeah, and Van Dyne is going to be a RS JR next year. There are plenty of people who don't do a whole lot until their RS JR seasons (Sam Renner) and there are tons of WRs who would have a hard time seeing the field playing behind TJ, Bateman, and CAB.

I was hoping he would work into the rotation as that one really tall receiver who can exploit short D-backs. He was billed as pretty athletic with good speed. I guess Bateman at 6’2” is already exploiting those guys, but 6’4” sure sounds nice. Maybe Adim-Madumere (sorry for spelling?) will be that big physical guy? I think he’s 6’3” and built like a tank.

Yeah, and Van Dyne is going to be a RS JR next year. There are plenty of people who don't do a whole lot until their RS JR seasons (Sam Renner) and there are tons of WRs who would have a hard time seeing the field playing behind TJ, Bateman, and CAB.
David Cobb is another.
It sure seems VanDyne would have been able to get on the field next year. Bob lays out how too.
But we recruited WRs last year and have too many listed right now in the incoming class.
Plus, the transfer rumors. Competition is one thing but the feeling you are not appreciated is tough to gamble your limited college future on.
And all these transfers are not just the players idea. Maybe not VanDyne but the majority.

David Cobb is another.
It sure seems VanDyne would have been able to get on the field next year. Bob lays out how too.
But we recruited WRs last year and have too many listed right now in the incoming class.
Plus, the transfer rumors. Competition is one thing but the feeling you are not appreciated is tough to gamble your limited college future on.
And all these transfers are not just the players idea. Maybe not VanDyne but the majority.

Cobb was a little different. You’re right that he was a late bloomer, but it wasn’t a perceived lack of talent that kept him off the field. No one ever denied his talent, but Kill’s culture required Cobb to be willing to do team things (such as block) before he could play. He didn’t at first, but once Cobb embraced that he played and rolled. I loved DCobb.

David Cobb is another.

There were sixteen total WRs(including walk-ons) on the roster before transfers. I am sure the the coaching staff give an honest assessment to Van Dyne and others. As mentioned Renner and Cobb did not see the field until the last two years. I agree that Van Dyne can possibly play next season. The trouble is, if you want to play do you want to take the chance that someone else will best you in the competition? For some, a chance to play elsewhere would seem more attractive.

The GOphers are loaded at WR. Even more so with 5 WRs in the incoming class. My hunch is some of those may switch positions if they want to see the field.

Cobb was a little different. You’re right that he was a late bloomer, but it wasn’t a perceived lack of talent that kept him off the field. No one ever denied his talent, but Kill’s culture required Cobb to be willing to do team things (such as block) before he could play. He didn’t at first, but once Cobb embraced that he played and rolled. I loved DCobb.
You could be right but I thought more of those reasons came to light after the questions: This guy is good! Why wasn’t he playing earlier?
Then the reasons or answers came.
Anyway, my point of that comment is I think maybe we hear less and less from PJ about guys in the wings. So, could be a guy is talented but he isn’t all in the boat or he has nagging injuries holding him back or he gets bigger stronger etc etc.
Lots of guys for lots of reasons can shine a couple years into their college careers.

Top Bottom