2020-21 Schedule

Well the record is going to be a bit rough but as they say "lots of opportunities to show the committee they can beat good teams"! that first 8 games could be a back breaker. Certainly a shot we go 1-7 in that stretch and not play bad at all and have our spirit crushed

I assume preseason ranking played in this, but not sure.

Play 4 preseason top 25 teams twice in conference.
Iowa (5) Illinois (8) Rutgers (24) Michigan (25)

6 teams once with 3 ranked and 3 unranked.
Wisconsin (7)Away MSU (13)Home OSU (23)Home

Rough 5 game stretch to start the conference season. The top 4 of the conference plus St. Louis in the middle

Ok. Let’s go with rough 9 game stretch to start conference play!

It was a part of Minnesota's MTE that got scrapped.
Theres still a couple games to be added, sounds like Eastern Washington pulled out according to Marcus Fuller but they are looking for another team for the MTE.

That's a ridiculous gauntlet to start the Big Ten... yikes. I hope the team is ready by then. They really need to add another non-conference game if at all possible. Only five right now?

When the gophers schedule comes out the first thing i do is try to figure out what games i might attend. Gophers basketball is my favorite in person sporting event. My main takeaway from the schedule release is i am really going to miss that walk into the barn this season and all the excitement that goes along with it.

Last edited:

The important thing here is that the Big Ten plays as many non con games as possible and does well to establish this is clearly the best conference in the country.

It would be awful if that didn’t happen and according the the metrics, a 10-10 Big Ten record counted the same as a 10-10 record for any other conference.

As long as that happens, I’m ok with having a rough schedule as long our wins count as quality wins and our losses are considered good losses, it will all even out even if we do slip up a bit in conference.

that first 8 games could be a back breaker. Certainly a shot we go 1-7 in that stretch and not play bad at all and have our spirit crushed

Well, remember, we were top 25 in football before the season started. Penn State was higher ranked. During this COVID era, some of these teams aren't going to be doing as well as expected while others will do better than expected.

Will they even play games with so much Covid spread? Shutdowns are happening everywhere.

If programs have very intensive protocols, it's a few people, and most of them are unlikely to have severe symptoms anyway -- let alone the fact that some teams have players who've already had it and recovered -- I say let them play the games in empty stadiums.

There is very little risk that a team having players who get infected during a game will result in a spreading event, and the people need something to watch and cheer for while we're locked down.

Just do the best you can the limit the infections in games, and realize it's a wacky year.

Today's STrib:

Big Ten teams are only allowed to play up to seven nonconference games.

The initial challenge that Pitino and his peers face will be figuring out how many games they can actually play in the next month before the Big Ten schedule resumes in January. The Gophers recently returned from a five-day pause after some players tested positive for COVID-19.

“We are planning to play the seven,” Pitino said Tuesday, “but with the understanding that anything can happen.”

What was already known is that Pitino’s eighth season opens next Wednesday against Wisconsin-Green Bay at Williams Arena. The seven-game nonconference slate isn’t complete, though. Eastern Washington backed out of the multiple-team event with the Gophers and Loyola Marymount from Nov. 28-30 at the Barn, according to sources.

LMU is still scheduled to play in Minnesota, but the Gophers are seeking another opponent. Another possibility is for the Gophers to play LMU twice if the NCAA accepts a waiver.

Today's STrib:

Big Ten teams are only allowed to play up to seven nonconference games.

The initial challenge that Pitino and his peers face will be figuring out how many games they can actually play in the next month before the Big Ten schedule resumes in January. The Gophers recently returned from a five-day pause after some players tested positive for COVID-19.

“We are planning to play the seven,” Pitino said Tuesday, “but with the understanding that anything can happen.”

What was already known is that Pitino’s eighth season opens next Wednesday against Wisconsin-Green Bay at Williams Arena. The seven-game nonconference slate isn’t complete, though. Eastern Washington backed out of the multiple-team event with the Gophers and Loyola Marymount from Nov. 28-30 at the Barn, according to sources.

LMU is still scheduled to play in Minnesota, but the Gophers are seeking another opponent. Another possibility is for the Gophers to play LMU twice if the NCAA accepts a waiver.

Have they announced the game times yet? I'm out on the West Coast. Non-cable TV ways to watch games? I did Hulu a couple of years ago to get Big Ten Network. Is that still the best option, or would something like Sling TV be a better way to go?

Have they announced the game times yet? I'm out on the West Coast. Non-cable TV ways to watch games? I did Hulu a couple of years ago to get Big Ten Network. Is that still the best option, or would something like Sling TV be a better way to go?

I'm also on the West coast (LA Area) Last year I noticed that some of the gopher games were posted to youtube within a few days. that's one option. I have youtube tv which gets the big ten network but you won't get all the games since some may be on BT + . Youtube TV has gotten pricier. Sometimes REDDIT has some subreddit streams of college basketball. There are other streaming sites around as well.

However you can get BTN, is your best bet. Streaming live TV over the internet has a few different options, shop around.

The day after the 20-21 season is cancelled There will be clarity.

https://www.startribune.com/north-d...ted-play-gophers-at-williams-arena/573130291/

Minnesota’s multi-team event is expected to be against Loyola Marymount and North Dakota State on Nov. 28 and Nov. 30 at Williams Arena. The Bison and LMU have announced games on those dates, but the Gophers are still working out some logistics before the MTE's official on their end.

I just checked the updated schedule at Gopher Sports this morning. They have Loyola Marymount listed for two games with the Gophers. I'm assuming that was a mistake and one of those games is with NDSU. It seemed very weird to play a non-conference team twice in back-to-back games. Thanks for the info!

I just checked the updated schedule at Gopher Sports this morning. They have Loyola Marymount listed for two games with the Gophers. I'm assuming that was a mistake and one of those games is with NDSU. It seemed very weird to play a non-conference team twice in back-to-back games. Thanks for the info!
Minn covid regulations say the team can only play one other team in a 3-day period, so they cancelled NDSU and got a waiver to play LMU twice, instead.

https://www.startribune.com/gophers...twice-not-ndsu-dissolving-mte-plan/573185581/

The Gophers men’s basketball team will play Loyola Marymount twice to replace a matchup with North Dakota State as part of its multi-team event Saturday and Monday at Williams Arena, a source told the Star Tribune.

Due to COVID-19 restrictions in Minnesota, the Gophers are now only allowed to play one opponent during a three-day span at home.

LMU was originally scheduled to play the Gophers in the MTE in Minneapolis. But NDSU recently had expected to replace Eastern Washington in the event.

Loyola Marymount is led by first-year coach Stan Johnson, who replaced Mike Dunlap after the team finished 11-21 in his sixth season. The Lions return 6-foot-6, 245-pound senior Eli Scott, who averaged 15.4 points and 6.6 rebounds. Scott played at Chino Hills High School in California with the Ball brothers, Lonzo and LaMelo.

Johnson, a former Marquette assistant, is familiar with Minnesota since he helped the Golden Eagles sign former Prior Lake five-star big man Dawson Garcia, now a freshman.

Johnson's first big recruiting get at LMU was convincing 7-3 Swedish center Mattias Markusson to return to the program. Minnesota, Louisville and San Diego State were also finalists for Markusson when he entered the transfer portal in the spring.

Top Bottom