2019 - Top 5 youngest team

Wouldn't it make more sense to say "Inexperienced" then? Really he's just saying something so non-specific as to be unprovable while creating a reason for potential under performance.

I don't know for sure but it seems to me like he's being as vague as possible so it's harder to refute and so he can continue to make the same claims in future years even when youth/inexperience is less of a concern but there's still some way the numbers can be spun to say the team is young/inexperienced.

I don't know for sure but it seems to me like he's being as vague as possible so it's harder to refute and so he can continue to make the same claims in future years even when youth/inexperience is less of a concern but there's still some way the numbers can be spun to say the team is young/inexperienced.

giphy.gif

The people determined to see the bad in Fleck are viewing these comments about being young as him making excuses probably because they still think he wants to lose games or something ridiculous like that. These are the same people who didn't bat an eye when Kill said it would take 6 years to build a winning team as he drove the young thing into the ground his first few years.

The reality is that we are still a really young team on offense but I have not heard anything from Fleck saying we can't win games because of that youth. It is a legit factor to put out there to explain some inconsistency and struggles that may occur that are very common for players in their first few years at the college level.

At the same time Fleck knows expectations are going up (especially with the way the team ended the season) and frankly I have seen nothing from him that makes me think he will run from those expectations. Unless those last 4 games were a total fluke, this should be a very solid team next season. Too soon to expect them to win the West but they should be in the mix.

The people determined to see the bad in Fleck are viewing these comments about being young as him making excuses probably because they still think he wants to lose games or something ridiculous like that. These are the same people who didn't bat an eye when Kill said it would take 6 years to build a winning team as he drove the young thing into the ground his first few years.

The reality is that we are still a really young team on offense but I have not heard anything from Fleck saying we can't win games because of that youth. It is a legit factor to put out there to explain some inconsistency and struggles that may occur that are very common for players in their first few years at the college level.

At the same time Fleck knows expectations are going up (especially with the way the team ended the season) and frankly I have seen nothing from him that makes me think he will run from those expectations. Unless those last 4 games were a total fluke, this should be a very solid team next season. Too soon to expect them to win the West but they should be in the mix.

For me at least, it's like this:

Yes, the Gophers are a (fairly) young team. I know that. You know that. I just get tired of the Coach saying it in every stinkin' interview. The same thing with the catch phrases. I could live with the occasional "elite." But when the coach is saying "elite" in every 3rd sentence, it just gets to be overkill.

if Fleck had a master volume control, and I could just turn it down from 10 to 8 or 7, he would be so much easier to take.

I know that "the kids like it." I'm not a kid. I'm just a Gopher fan who gets irritated with the Gopher Coach for the constant repetition. Sure, you can say "just don't listen," but if you follow the program, you're going to hear the Coach talk. It's hard to follow the program and avoid the coach at the same time.

Yes, the Gophers are a (fairly) young team. I know that. You know that. I just get tired of the Coach saying it in every stinkin' interview. The same thing with the catch phrases. I could live with the occasional "elite." But when the coach is saying "elite" in every 3rd sentence, it just gets to be overkill.

if Fleck had a master volume control, and I could just turn it down from 10 to 8 or 7, he would be so much easier to take.

I know that "the kids like it." I'm not a kid. I'm just a Gopher fan who gets irritated with the Gopher Coach for the constant repetition. Sure, you can say "just don't listen," but if you follow the program, you're going to hear the Coach talk. It's hard to follow the program and avoid the coach at the same time.

His goes to 11...

<iframe width="945" height="518" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4xgx4k83zzc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

His goes to 11...

<iframe width="945" height="518" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4xgx4k83zzc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
[emoji23][emoji1787][emoji2936][emoji2935]

Wasn't this last comment directed at HS coaches from all over the country and not at the fan base?

When Fleck was hired he was very out front and over the top. I honestly feel like he has toned things back a lot since then but many in the fan base don't seem to think so apparently.

Honest question for those that cringe every time Fleck talks, do you not feel the has toned down the rhetoric at all from when he was hired to now?

When Fleck was hired he was very out front and over the top. I honestly feel like he has toned things back a lot since then but many in the fan base don't seem to think so apparently.

Honest question for those that cringe every time Fleck talks, do you not feel the has toned down the rhetoric at all from when he was hired to now?

He has toned it down.

I'm kinda bummed about that. I liked wanting to get in a fight after each talk he gave ;)

When Fleck was hired, he set some of the highest expectations that I've ever heard from a University of Minnesota coach in any sport.

Now, we are concerned that he's using youth as an excuse to lower the bar? That's a pretty Minnesotan point of view. For all we know, his intent is that not only are we going to kick a$$ this year with a young team, but you'll need to really watch out for us in the next 1-2 years.

I’m not really determined to see anything but when the coach consistently fudges facts (numbers, percentages, how many recruiting classes he’s brought in) a certain way, yes I take that as excuse-making. Like I said before, seemingly every coach in America does this to some extent. It’s ok to call a spade a spade.

I don’t think Kill having done it (and he did talk about youth and the roster) really matters in terms of what PJ is doing other than to deflect judgment. The roster is still young and thin in spots but that’s true of literally every team in America.

I think the argument here is over semantics and tone. The cult members can see no wrong and the skeptics just wish he’d change his best.

It's the same handful of posters who lose their minds over what Fleck said, what he doesn't say, how it he said it and how it doesn't say it.

It's way more than being skeptic. It's an obsession.

Last edited:

I’m not really determined to see anything but when the coach consistently fudges facts (numbers, percentages, how many recruiting classes he’s brought in) a certain way, yes I take that as excuse-making. Like I said before, seemingly every coach in America does this to some extent. It’s ok to call a spade a spade.

I don’t think Kill having done it (and he did talk about youth and the roster) really matters in terms of what PJ is doing other than to deflect judgment. The roster is still young and thin in spots but that’s true of literally every team in America.

I think the argument here is over semantics and tone. The cult members can see no wrong and the skeptics just wish he’d change his best.

I completely agree. He seems to say a lot of things that aren't entirely accurate. I don't know how much of that is intentional or what his goal is but whenever I see someone present statistics that aren't 100% accurate, it makes me think they know the accurate statistics won't support their case. If it works with high school coaches and recruits good for him but I personally interpret that as trying to cover up the truth.

It's not a big deal if he slips up every once in a while but it feels like he prefers to be exciting than accurate which I'm not a fan of.

Top Bottom