2019 College Football Coach Fired/Hired Thread

I can’t see Fleck leaving for any job at this point. There’s no way he signs the extension if he was considering it.

Next year could be a different story, but not this year.
He was looking for a job when he got this one......

Campbell with an extension at Iowa State.

I honestly wonder if we won't see more and more established power 5 coaches (guys like Fleck and Campbell) turn down the helmet schools and their crazy expectations. They can still make really good money and have some semblance of job security in an extremely volatile profession as opposed to going to the places with insane expectations and a willingness to fire coaches after only 2-3 years.

I honestly wonder if we won't see more and more established power 5 coaches (guys like Fleck and Campbell) turn down the helmet schools and their crazy expectations. They can still make really good money and have some semblance of job security in an extremely volatile profession as opposed to going to the places with insane expectations and a willingness to fire coaches after only 2-3 years.

That's how schools like Minnesota & ISU become "Helmet Schools".

The trick will be in 20-30 years when Fleck & Campbell retire. Can the next coach keep up the program?

I know it’s not a hire/fire, but Petersen stepped down at Washington.

I honestly wonder if we won't see more and more established power 5 coaches (guys like Fleck and Campbell) turn down the helmet schools ...

It’s a short list of successful coaches that have ever moved from one P5 to another. And the results have been mostly horrible.

Jeff Telford stepping down at Fresno State for health reasons.
Indiana’s OC on the short list to replace him.

Jeff Tedford Is Stepping Down

The Mountain West coaching exodus continues as Fresno State becomes the latest victim. The University announced that Jeff Tedford will be stepping down effective immediately. The reason for his resignation is because of health problems. It’s sending major shockwaves throughout the college football world. As he was linked to a couple of FBS coaching openings.

After a 1-11 record in 2016, Tedford was hired by his alma mater to turn around the football program. In his first two seasons the Bulldogs had a combined record of 22-6. They won the West Division twice and one conference championship. However the 2019 season was a struggle dealing with a 4-8 record including four straight losses to finish the season. The question will be where do the Bulldogs go next? This could be a highly sought after position with a team that could be ready to win in 2020.

Go Gophers!!

Lane Kiffin on the verge of agreement with Ole Miss.

That's how schools like Minnesota & ISU become "Helmet Schools".

The trick will be in 20-30 years when Fleck & Campbell retire. Can the next coach keep up the program?
How many Rose Bowls do we need to get too for us to become on par with UW much less a helmet school ?

Lane at Ole Miss will almost give me a team to root for.
I don't like Lane, and don't like Ole Miss that much, but they play Bama, so storyline is there.

Also means Lane won't be at FAU next year for our opener. Will make things a bit interesting facing off against a new coach.

Memphis coach to FSU
I think that's a very good hire for them.

Lane Kiffin has now coached at two SEC schools, USC, an NFL team and a Conference USA team. He's just 44 years old.

It’s a short list of successful coaches that have ever moved from one P5 to another. And the results have been mostly horrible.
I don't disagree with this, but could you provide some examples? There is at least one major success that is obvious: Saban (MSU to Ala). Holtz did better at ND than Minn. Franklin is doing better at PSU than Vandy. Mason did better at Minn than Kansas.

On the other hand, you look at someone like Rich Rodriguez, or Bielema, and that's just laughable. They left perfect situations for temporary riches, and embarrassed themselves.

If anyone has a better breakdown of P5 head coaching moves, I think it would make for a great thread.

Jeff Telford stepping down at Fresno State for health reasons.
Indiana’s OC on the short list to replace him.

I can't imagine Indiana losing their OC would bode well for their future.

I don't disagree with this, but could you provide some examples? There is at least one major success that is obvious: Saban (MSU to Ala). Holtz did better at ND than Minn. Franklin is doing better at PSU than Vandy. Mason did better at Minn than Kansas.

On the other hand, you look at someone like Rich Rodriguez, or Bielema, and that's just laughable. They left perfect situations for temporary riches, and embarrassed themselves.

If anyone has a better breakdown of P5 head coaching moves, I think it would make for a great thread.
You missed Saban at LSU between MSU and Alabama. Urban Meyer from Florida to Ohio State. Harbaugh Stanford to Michigan. Spurrier Florida to South Carolina. Spurrier, Saban and Harbaugh had stints in the NFL. Meyer retired then unretired.

You missed Saban at LSU between MSU and Alabama. Urban Meyer from Florida to Ohio State. Harbaugh Stanford to Michigan. Spurrier Florida to South Carolina. Spurrier, Saban and Harbaugh had stints in the NFL. Meyer retired then unretired.
I don't think you can count going from P5 to NFL to P5. That's much different than being hired directly from P5 to P5. Or "retiring" then finding a new job. In those cases most were unemployed and found a job (Saban was on the chopping block at Miami when he went to Alabama). That eliminates Harbaugh, Spurrier and Meyer, as well as Saban from LSU to Alabama, though he did go directly from MSU to LSU. Meyer went from Utah to Florida. Utah was not P5 at the time, though at the time the Mountain West was more respectable. Tommy Tuberville went from Ole Miss to Auburn without a lot of success. Jimbo Fisher is still TBD on how he'll do. It honestly doesn't happen a lot, so there isn't a lot of data to say it is good or bad. There was a thread earlier this year on the topic when everyone was worried Fleck was going to FSU.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sources: Penn State OC Ricky Rahne will be the next coach at Old Dominion.</p>&mdash; Pete Thamel (@PeteThamel) <a href="">December 9, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I don't think you can count going from P5 to NFL to P5. That's much different than being hired directly from P5 to P5. Or "retiring" then finding a new job. In those cases most were unemployed and found a job (Saban was on the chopping block at Miami when he went to Alabama). That eliminates Harbaugh, Spurrier and Meyer, as well as Saban from LSU to Alabama, though he did go directly from MSU to LSU. Meyer went from Utah to Florida. Utah was not P5 at the time, though at the time the Mountain West was more respectable. Tommy Tuberville went from Ole Miss to Auburn without a lot of success. Jimbo Fisher is still TBD on how he'll do. It honestly doesn't happen a lot, so there isn't a lot of data to say it is good or bad. There was a thread earlier this year on the topic when everyone was worried Fleck was going to FSU.

P5 to P5 success story....... Gene Chizik went from ISU to Auburn and won a National Championship within 2yrs after they won the Cam Newton sweepstakes.

P5 to P5 success story....... Gene Chizik went from ISU to Auburn and won a National Championship within 2yrs after they won the Cam Newton sweepstakes.
Sort of a limited success story. One great season. I still am amazed he went from a 2 win ISU to Auburn...and then flamed out in four years.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sources: Penn State OC Ricky Rahne will be the next coach at Old Dominion.</p>&mdash; Pete Thamel (@PeteThamel) <a href="">December 9, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I wonder if this is a clue to whether Franklin will be at PSU next year.

Last edited:

Sort of a limited success story. One great season. I still am amazed he went from a 2 win ISU to Auburn...and then flamed out in four years.
Yes, fired 2yrs later, but paid $7.5 million to leave. Some would call that success

At least once a year someone posts that college HC rarely go from one P5 school to a different P5 school. Then the rest of the thread is examples of exactly that. Here we go again...

I wonder if this is a clue to whether Franklin will be at PSU next year.
Where would he go unless someone gets fired post bowl season? USC is keeping their coach. I can remember how much movement traditionally takes place from now through end of bowl season.

Where would he go unless someone gets fired post bowl season? USC is keeping their coach. I can remember how much movement traditionally takes place from now through end of bowl season.
Not only is USC keeping their coach, but Franklin just signed a contract extension. He's not going anywhere.

Top Bottom