2016 game with Gophers was THEE turning point for Penn State

PrairieGopher

Reaction score
LONG...LONG...LONG Time reader of Gopher Hole, first time poster.
Rural Minnesota born and lived in MN for most of my 50+ years (5 years in So Dakota...loved SD!).
Spent 30 of the last 35 years living here in the Cities.
Former Season Ticket Holder at Metrodump and theBANK.
Tough to get to so many games with family and obligations...so I let them go a few years back.
Still get to a lot of games though...been to four this year...SDSU, travelled to Fresno for the game with the Bulldogs, Nebraska and Maryland.
And I have tix for upcoming games with Penn State and Wisconsin too.

Looking back at Penn State...Our game with them in 2016 was THEE turning point for this version of Penn State.
Specifically, the turning point was with less then 10 minutes to play in the 3rd Quarter...Gophers up 13-3 and Penn St has the ball at their own 20 and its 3rd down and 11 yards to go.
McSorley scrambles, almost runs, then throws the ball as he is about to cross the LOS...Missed tackle by us...80 yard TD by PSU. PSU scores again to take the lead, Shannon Brooks has a 37 yard run to regain the lead, PSU kicks a FG to tie with 2 seconds left in regulation. Game goes to OT in Happy Valley.
We cant move the ball in OT...lose yards. Emmitt Carpenter kicks a FG to put us up by 3.
On Penn State's first play in Overtime, Saquon Barkley runs 25 yards for a walk off TD.
In that game Leidner played okay, Rodney Smith and Shannon Brooks EACH ran for over 100 yards.
But Penn State goes on to WIN OUT for the year, beat Wisconsin in the Big Ten Champ game and the LOST a really close Rose Bowl to USC.

The point that I am trying to make is this...that game was THEE turning point for PSU.
In the three year Since that second half, Penn State has gone 38-6.
In the three years Prior to that game, their record was 24-19.

THAT Game put Trace McSorley and Saquon Barkley on the map.

Lets flip the script! Let this game be a defining moment for us to come back into prominence.

Rural Minnesota born and lived in MN for most of my 50+ years (5 years in So Dakota...loved SD!).
Tough to get to so many games with family and obligations...so I let them go a few years back.
Still get to a lot of games though...been to four this year...SDSU, travelled to Fresno for the game with the Bulldogs, Nebraska and Maryland.

Looking back at Penn State...Our game with them in 2016 was THEE turning point for this version of Penn State.
Specifically, the turning point was with less then 10 minutes to play in the 3rd Quarter...Gophers up 13-3 and Penn St has the ball at their own 20 and its 3rd down and 11 yards to go.
McSorley scrambles, almost runs, then throws the ball as he is about to cross the LOS...Missed tackle by us...80 yard TD by PSU. PSU scores again to take the lead, Shannon Brooks has a 37 yard run to regain the lead, PSU kicks a FG to tie with 2 seconds left in regulation. Game goes to OT in Happy Valley.
We cant move the ball in OT...lose yards. Emmitt Carpenter kicks a FG to put us up by 3.
On Penn State's first play in Overtime, Saquon Barkley runs 25 yards for a walk off TD.
In that game Leidner played okay, Rodney Smith and Shannon Brooks EACH ran for over 100 yards.
But Penn State goes on to WIN OUT for the year, beat Wisconsin in the Big Ten Champ game and the LOST a really close Rose Bowl to USC.

The point that I am trying to make is this...that game was THEE turning point for PSU.

Lets flip the script! Let this game be a defining moment for us to come back into prominence.

Fantastic post! I hope you are right on this being our defining moment!!

good read. I watched that game and was so upset. I flew in the next week from California, was really looking forward to seeing an undefeated ranked Gopher team take on Iowa. (granted we lost to Iowa anyway, but I feel we would have won if we beat PSU).

Welcome to the hole sir! An auspicious first post.

Top Bottom