2016 College Basketball Player Transfer Thread

I don't know.... Matta is going to have to go JUCO or with senior transfers. With his two incoming frosh he is down to a roster of 10 players. He doesn't appear to have a shot with any of the top 150 players- per their offer and visit lists.

Top 60 junior guard Markell Johnson may reclassify up a year and the Buckeyes are the favorite per the grapevine. Also are in the final 3 for New Mexico transfer Cullen Neal and have him coming in for a visit in 2 weeks. They feel like they are in good shape with both players. Andre Wesson is also expected to commit there this spring. They will not be going the JUCO route given they land 2-3 of these guys.

Yeah Ohio State will always be a player in the Grad Transfer and Transfer games. They'll reel in their fair share of quality recruits and they'll be fine.

Someone said they aren't exactly a blue blood, which is true. But they are probably in that next tier which is consistently a very good team. They've been down for about three years to their standards but their version of "down" would be one of the best seasons we've had in 20 years.

Not like these guys leaving hurt them a whole lot either. They've still got Loving, Bates-Diop, Tate and Lyle. They are afforded the ability to bring guys along at whatever pace said players can handle next year. Thats exactly what you want as a program

As a Gopher fan, this is a guy who'd interest me. Has some injury history, but he was really good as a freshman. Sounds like a unique situation. Probably a lot of pressure on him being the head coach's son, needs to get away. From the sounds of it he'll graduate in just three years this spring, so he'll be immediately eligible and have two years of eligibility.

Ohio State is interested, apparently.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...-mexico-lobos-leaving-coach-father-craig-neal

I have some UNM alum and die-hard Lobo friends. Their nephew played with Neal in HS and AAU. I would not be jumping to get him. There is no doubt he is a good basketball player, but everything I am told about him makes it seem like he needs to transfer and be "the guy" on a mid to low major. He struggles with my type of pressure, loses composure easily, and he is a score first and not get others involved player. I've watched them on TV a few times and agree with most of that statement as well.

For those that think UNM is a mid major, it certainly is not what it seems. ABQ takes the Lobos seriously and "The Pit" is one of the most hostile places to play basketball. Their basketball fans are nuts and the death threats do not surprise me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It would be really, really nice if we could land one of these guys. I became aware of Minnesota reaching out to Pryor last week, but I don't know how serious the interest is on either side. From that list of schools it certainly looks like an uphill battle. Pryor is 6'5 and averaged 18 and 8 for Robert Morris last year. Interestingly, his 3 point percentage took quite a dive from around 43% to 29% last year, but it is nice to know that the potential to be a solid outside shooter is there as well. Adding one more established, successful player who won't impact 2017 scholarship numbers would be a huge boost to Pitino.

It would be really, really nice if we could land one of these guys. I became aware of Minnesota reaching out to Pryor last week, but I don't know how serious the interest is on either side. From that list of schools it certainly looks like an uphill battle. Pryor is 6'5 and averaged 18 and 8 for Robert Morris last year. Interestingly, his 3 point percentage took quite a dive from around 43% to 29% last year, but it is nice to know that the potential to be a solid outside shooter is there as well. Adding one more established, successful player who won't impact 2017 scholarship numbers would be a huge boost to Pitino.

A transfer such as Pryor or a player similar to him would constitute a great addition to the team. Can't remember which reporter said it, but Pitino and staff are said to be looking at possible grad transfers at the moment. Just imagine the difference in last year's team and a team that (for example) featured Mason, Coffey, Pryor, Murphy, and Big Reg in the starting lineup with a deep bench consisting of McBrayer, Fitzgerald, Dorsey, Hurt, Konate, etc... We're talking about about a night and day change. Tempered expectations, but the future is exciting!

Ah the Grad Transfer market. It's like the first day of free agency where there is boundless hope. Look at the schools we are competing with for some of these guys: Florida, Gonzaga, Oregon, Ohio State. There's no chance a kid with an offer from Gonzaga or Florida is coming here. If those schools are after them, they are selling everything we are except they've already done their fair share of winning.

Doesn't mean we won't get a useful player if we do get someone, but the liklihood of us finding a starter is very small. I'd take a Malik Smith type happily to fortify that bench and give Hurt/Curry some RS options.

Go Gophers!!

I see that Jimmy Whitt is transferring from Arkansas after just one year. He was a top 75 recruit for 2015 and had interest in the U. Well, maybe it was more that the U had interest in him. Either way, he will be a nice addition to some program.

Northwestern in on Rick Barry's kid (Canyon)

Syracuse guard Kaleb Joseph is transferring and has 2 years of eligibility remaining. IIRC, Joseph was one Pitino's guard targets a couple summers ago along with Isaiah Whitehead and JaQuan Newton. We have a guard position or two open now and this seems like it could be a reasonable option.

Akeem Springs to visit

I'd love to see Springs come here. Even though we lost Dorsey- I think McBrayer is able to back up Mason at the point. Springs would be a solid addition.

Milwaukee transfer Akeem Springs told @CBSSports he will visit both Ole Miss and Minnesota this weekend. Immediately eligible for 16-17.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13.2 points, 5.3 rebounds in a bit over 30 minutes a game for Akeem Springs. 35% from 3. I think I'd be pleased with this pickup if we get him. Anyone know if he can play point at all? It seems he's more of a shooting guard.

13.2 points, 5.3 rebounds in a bit over 30 minutes a game for Akeem Springs. 35% from 3. I think I'd be pleased with this pickup if we get him. Anyone know if he can play point at all? It seems he's more of a shooting guard.
Even if he is a two guard we have good ball handler point types in Mason, McBrayer and don't forget Coffey.

Syracuse guard Kaleb Joseph is transferring and has 2 years of eligibility remaining. IIRC, Joseph was one Pitino's guard targets a couple summers ago along with Isaiah Whitehead and JaQuan Newton. We have a guard position or two open now and this seems like it could be a reasonable option.

Kaleb Joseph is off the board.

From Jeff Goodman

From Jon Rothstein

Cane Broome to Cincy

Cullen Neal to Ole Miss, with 2 seasons of eligibility.

New Mexico transfer Cullen Neal is headed to Ole Miss.

The 6-foot-5 Neal, who played for his father, Craig, the past three years -- will transfer and be immediately eligible as a grad transfer.

He will have two years remaining, because he was a medical redshirt as a sophomore.

"They just made me feel like home," Neal told ESPN. "I just felt like it was the right place for me -- and I think they have a chance to be really good in the next few years."

Neal averaged 12.3 points, 3.7 assists and 2.8 rebounds per game last season

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...al-transfers-new-mexico-lobos-ole-miss-rebels

Does that mean Ole Miss no longer has a spot for Akeem Springs?

Cullen Neal to Ole Miss, with 2 seasons of eligibility.

New Mexico transfer Cullen Neal is headed to Ole Miss.

The 6-foot-5 Neal, who played for his father, Craig, the past three years -- will transfer and be immediately eligible as a grad transfer.

He will have two years remaining, because he was a medical redshirt as a sophomore.

"They just made me feel like home," Neal told ESPN. "I just felt like it was the right place for me -- and I think they have a chance to be really good in the next few years."

Neal averaged 12.3 points, 3.7 assists and 2.8 rebounds per game last season

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...al-transfers-new-mexico-lobos-ole-miss-rebels
Good news for us

Former Gopher commit is on the move:

Jonathon is transferring? I hope that kid lands on his feet in a good situation.

Seems like a lot of freshman transfers this year. Would be interesting to know if it was about poor recruiting (i.e. bad fits in the program), player frustration, or something else. As a subset of that, is it coaches sending them packing or the guys going on their own? Some combination of all I'm sure, but it feels like more transfers than usual. Maybe paying closer attention.

What the hell, I assume he can play right away after taking a red shirt this year? Bizarre, he never even suited up and is leaving.

What the hell, I assume he can play right away after taking a red shirt this year? Bizarre, he never even suited up and is leaving.

Nope, he has to sit out another year and on top of that, he loses a year of eligibility.

Springs making his decision via Periscope today at 10:32.

Top Bottom