2013 Recruits - UPDATED 3/20: Gavin Schilling picks Michigan State

I think some people are struggling to understand the difference between a high-major and a mid-major.

In response to the list posted earlier, Anders Broman has apparently committed to SDSU.

From Twitter:

Congratulations to my brother @andersbroman10 on his commitment to south Dakota state university

I think some people are struggling to understand the difference between a high-major and a mid-major.

Let me take a shot at this. If u are in the big ten, big 12, sec, pac 12, big east, and acc - u are considered a high major. Doesnt matter what happens, if u are in one of these conferences, u are considered a high major. However, within the high major schools u certainly have gaps. In hoops, schools like minnesota, oregon state, texas tech, miami, auburn, and south florida are certainly not in the same class as mich state, arizona, kansas, unc, kentucky and louisville.

Hope this cleans up the misunderstanding.

Bummed about Hankerson, but going to wait to see how every thing plays out before deeming this recruiting class a failure. We still have a shot at Hayes, Matthews and Schilling.

Stop being a f***ing idiot.

The interesting part of these negative posts is how these guys have changed their tone. If I had time, I would go back to the original posts about this kid, when these people complained about his 29% 3-point shooting.

Go Gopehrs

The interesting part of these negative posts is how these guys have changed their tone. If I had time, I would go back to the original posts about this kid, when these people complained about his 29% 3-point shooting.

Go Gopehrs
Regardless of how good the player is. The fact is we have lost to Nebraska and Boston U on two players this fall.. That's troubling even if I personally didn't get excited over either player.

How much of the decision is based on playing time, if you get a kid like Hankerson, he see's Austin Hollins and Coleman competing for playing time, maybe his decision to commit to the U is tougher than somewhere he could get playing time immediately.

Regardless of how good the player is. The fact is we have lost to Nebraska and Boston U on two players this fall.. That's troubling even if I personally didn't get excited over either player.

Would you commit to a school where you likely wouldn't get much playing time? That sort of thing is important to most people.

If you look at our entire offer list, every year we (and other BCS schools) lose more than one or two guys to a mid-major.

RyanJamesMN Ryan James
Minnesota coaches Tubby Smith and Vince Taylor were in Chicago visiting Alex Foster and Alvin Ellis today. Both visiting this weekend.
3 hours agoReplyRetweetFavorite

Go Gopehrs

Well that's tricky Truth. If he's not good enough - per their original negative attitude- then why did the Tubster waste his time for the visit? If on the other hand he is good enough to be a solid Big Ten player- then we did lose him.

Tubby is not a great recruiter. He's just not. I would not say that he's below average either. He just doesn't meet the expectations that his big name brought us. What he does do - typically - is bring in solid, developable players when he recruits in the Fall. The Spring recruits - which have been too numerous- have not been so great.

Well that's tricky Truth. If he's not good enough - per their original negative attitude- then why did the Tubster waste his time for the visit? If on the other hand he is good enough to be a solid Big Ten player- then we did lose him.

Tubby is not a great recruiter. He's just not. I would not say that he's below average either. He just doesn't meet the expectations that his big name brought us. What he does do - typically - is bring in solid, developable players when he recruits in the Fall. The Spring recruits - which have been too numerous- have not been so great.

I agree 100%. Tubby is an old school coach who relies on his coaching a bit. He is not willing kiss some 16-18-years-old kid's a$$. I think there need to be some adaptation or retirement. The only way that this can be changed is if the Gophers have a great season. In that case, Tubby's name will play an important role in his recruiting. You and many people have said this before, how would a kid know if Tubby will be here next year. We just have to support the team as best as we can.

By the way, I am not sure why we looked at this kid either. He just didn't seem to be too good.

Go Gophers

Marcus blog: Gophers recruiting target Tory Miller: “I can see myself stepping into (Mbakwe’s) place”

“I just try to be me, and I hope somebody will base their game off me,” he said. “Right now, I can see myself stepping into (Mbakwe’s) place and taking over.”

Miller hasn’t scheduled other official visits yet. But he has already visited Arkansas and Nebraska unofficially. He also is drawing interest from Illinois, Memphis and Tennessee. Miller has no timetable for a decision.

But Miller said he wouldn’t need to see the Gophers play this season to make up his mind on them. The fact that Minnesota struggled to make the NCAA tournament the last two years doesn’t concern him.

“Any time you’re being recruited by a head coach like Tubby Smith, that’s something,” Miller said. “I don’t care what kind of season they had. He’s Tubby Smith.”

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...i-can-see-myself-stepping-into-mbakwes-place/

Go Gophers!!

Marcus blog: Gophers recruiting target Tory Miller: “I can see myself stepping into (Mbakwe’s) place”

“I just try to be me, and I hope somebody will base their game off me,” he said. “Right now, I can see myself stepping into (Mbakwe’s) place and taking over.”

Miller hasn’t scheduled other official visits yet. But he has already visited Arkansas and Nebraska unofficially. He also is drawing interest from Illinois, Memphis and Tennessee. Miller has no timetable for a decision.

But Miller said he wouldn’t need to see the Gophers play this season to make up his mind on them. The fact that Minnesota struggled to make the NCAA tournament the last two years doesn’t concern him.

“Any time you’re being recruited by a head coach like Tubby Smith, that’s something,” Miller said. “I don’t care what kind of season they had. He’s Tubby Smith.”

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...i-can-see-myself-stepping-into-mbakwes-place/

Go Gophers!!

Thanks Bleed. Right after I said that. I hope to be wrong every time if it means for the Gophers to win or land a good recruit.

Go Gophers

I agree 100%. Tubby is an old school coach who relies on his coaching a bit. He is not willing kiss some 16-18-years-old kid's a$$. I think there need to be some adaptation or retirement. The only way that this can be changed is if the Gophers have a great season. In that case, Tubby's name will play an important role in his recruiting. You and many people have said this before, how would a kid know if Tubby will be here next year. We just have to support the team as best as we can.

By the way, I am not sure why we looked at this kid either. He just didn't seem to be too good.

Go Gophers

I would love to see Tubby have that big year that we need this year. With the coming Minnesota talent and with his name- we wouldn't get them all but we would get some great kids. You can bet that Tyus will be wathcing Andre Hollins this year and a big year by Andre under Tubby would be huge.

You can bet that Tyus will be wathcing Andre Hollins this year and a big year by Andre under Tubby would be huge.

People keep posting this, I'm not sure it matters much. Maybe I'm wrong.

I'll be shocked if Andre doesn't have a huge year though.

Tyus has said he watches the schools recruiting him an how their current PG is used to see how he'd potentially be used.

I think it is huge how Andre plays this year!

He's said in at least two interviews that he will be watching Andre and other team's point guards to see how they're used and what type of success they have. Progress from year to year from Andre would give Tyus the idea that Tubby and staff know how to develop point guards. It makes sense, and if Tyus says it matters, I'll take his word for it.

Tyus has said he watches the schools recruiting him an how their current PG is used to see how he'd potentially be used.

I think it is huge how Andre plays this year!

Yes I have read those quotes. He's been watching these teams for a while now.

Even if Andre averages 15ppg is that going to 'trump' what Mich St & the blue schools PGs do this season by that much? Will he forget about watching John Wall, Kendall Marshall, Austin Rivers, etc.? NO.

Nothing like a NR prospect to get the fanbase all jacked up! Yes! Can't wait to land this kid. He is considering Northwestern, Missouri STATE, Nebraska and Wichita State. Nice! Boy, I bet he's a great kid who is going to fit Tubby's system. And that system is.........what? Oh yeah, the one that has flopped in the regular season the last two years and hasn't even made it past the first round of the NCAA Tournament in the last five. But who cares? I'm sure this kid will go to every class and never show up late for practice.

In all seriousness though he looks athletic, but far from super athletic. Appears to have a decent jumpshot. Hard to tell because it was a highlight tape and every shot -- obviously -- went in. Mechanics look decent. I didn't like all the backboard slaps instead of dunks. He's a 6-5 Division I recruit, he should be dunking every time he's wide up under the hoop. Again, his hops don't look all that great.

In all seriousness though he looks athletic, but far from super athletic. Appears to have a decent jumpshot. Hard to tell because it was a highlight tape and every shot -- obviously -- went in. Mechanics look decent. I didn't like all the backboard slaps instead of dunks. He's a 6-5 Division I recruit, he should be dunking every time he's wide up under the hoop. Again, his hops don't look all that great.
Also Kansas State. I really hope he commits because he is a need and he is also a scorer.

Nothing like a NR prospect to get the fanbase all jacked up! Yes! Can't wait to land this kid. He is considering Northwestern, Missouri STATE, Nebraska and Wichita State. Nice! Boy, I bet he's a great kid who is going to fit Tubby's system. And that system is.........what? Oh yeah, the one that has flopped in the regular season the last two years and hasn't even made it past the first round of the NCAA Tournament in the last five. But who cares? I'm sure this kid will go to every class and never show up late for practice.

Come on, really? Kansas State and Butler have had more recent success than we have, and they've offered him. He also has an offer from Northwestern. Even the Illinois recruiting gurus said that he's not a "reach" recruit, and would be a great get for Minnesota.

Butler offered yesterday evening. A player was recently removed from the team, opening a second spot.

Top Bottom