2012 Recruiting

Nort73

Reaction score
ESPN released their 2012 early team recruiting rankings. It is insider information, but Minnesota is "on the cusp" of breaking the Top 25.

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-...com/college-football/recruiting/classrankings

It's obviously still early, but if the Gophers can land some other solid recruits, including Jamel Harbison, Pirsig, and Robert Gregory, this could rival Brewster's best class during his tenure. There was an article in June stating the Gophs were #1 for Jamel Harbison, ranked the #25 WR in the nation by ESPN.

ESPN released their 2012 early team recruiting rankings. It is insider information, but Minnesota is "on the cusp" of breaking the Top 25.

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-...com/college-football/recruiting/classrankings

It's obviously still early, but if the Gophers can land some other solid recruits, including Jamel Harbison, Pirsig, and Robert Gregory, this could rival Brewster's best class during his tenure. There was an article in June stating the Gophs were #1 for Jamel Harbison, ranked the #25 WR in the nation by ESPN.

Like that thought...hope he and McDonald are end up Gophers.

Kind of shocked we are mentioned as a team on the cusp. Kill has surpassed my expectations so far. Can't wait (Bart Scott voice) for the season to start!

Whether they turn out to be studs or not, right now pretty much all of our recruits are 2 or 3 stars. I think a large reason we're on the cusp, is because right now we have more recruits than a lot of teams.

How many commits each B1G school has...
Michigan 20
Minnesota 16
Indiana 13
Penn State 12
Michigan State 11
Ohio State 11
Wisconsin 8
Purdue 8
Iowa 6
Illinois 5
Nebraska 5

Agree Royal. This is pure conjecture on my part, but here is how I think we will rank after signing date.

Rivals. #46
Scout. #57
ESPN. #43
Tom Lemming Report #41
Phil Steele College Football #52

Whether they turn out to be studs or not, right now pretty much all of our recruits are 2 or 3 stars. I think a large reason we're on the cusp, is because right now we have more recruits than a lot of teams.

Michigan 20
Minnesota 16
Indiana 13
Penn State 12
Michigan State 11
Ohio State 11
Wisconsin 8
Purdue 8
Iowa 6
Illinois 5
Nebraska 5

I tend to agree with you. I love gopher football, obviously, but I think we are realistically lower in the rankings. Now, if we had 4 or 5 recruits where we were beating out a helmet school or two and a lot of our rivals from the big ten there would be a lot more merit there.

Wisconsin has 4 elite level players (5 if you include their QB), and because they only have 8 recruits in total they aren't even on the cusp...so these rankings are definitely misleading.

Michigan 20
Minnesota 16
Indiana 13
Penn State 12
Michigan State 11
Ohio State 11
Wisconsin 8
Purdue 8
Iowa 6
Illinois 5
Nebraska 5

True, but it does depend on which site you use. ESPN seems to rank our recruits the highest when compared to Scout and Rivals, and I just used them as an example because they released their rankings a couple days ago. But rankings change for individual players, and a lot haven't even been ranked yet, so we will see how the class finishes up! I'm thinking a few of the kids who have committed to the Gophs would have received a lot more offers, and maybe a higher ranking, if they hadn't committed so early.

Michigan 20
Minnesota 16
Indiana 13
Penn State 12
Michigan State 11
Ohio State 11
Wisconsin 8
Purdue 8
Iowa 6
Illinois 5
Nebraska 5

For some reason Rivals does not mention Rallis as a commit...anyone know why?

Rivals has the Gophers 9th in the B1G for 2012 rankings. Much lower than ESPN putting us on the cusp of being one of the top 25. The average amount of stars, 2.64, is the lowest in the B1G.

Rivals has the Gophers 9th in the B1G for 2012 rankings. Much lower than ESPN putting us on the cusp of being one of the top 25. The average amount of stars, 2.64, is the lowest in the B1G.

We now have 4 guys that ranked in the top 100 for their position. Lowest total for the last 9 years. I'm all a flutter!

This is class is already a HUGH success and to think it isn't even done. Although Kill hasn't coached a game, he is already way ahead of expectations. With regards to games, I believe we have yet to see the best of what Kill & Co. have to offer and that is solid coaching. Everything is pointing up. Not since Holtz do I recall ever be this excited about the Gopher's chances. GO GOPHERS!!!

Here's a thought. I seem to remember hearing that the U didn't have that many scholarships to give out for next year. It seems like Kill is signing a lot of kids - which makes me wonder if the rumors about attrition from the current roster are true. I don't see Kill as the kind of coach who deliberately over-signs a class. Does anybody have an accurate read on # of scholarships available, compared to # of verbal commitments so far?

Here's a thought. I seem to remember hearing that the U didn't have that many scholarships to give out for next year. It seems like Kill is signing a lot of kids - which makes me wonder if the rumors about attrition from the current roster are true. I don't see Kill as the kind of coach who deliberately over-signs a class. Does anybody have an accurate read on # of scholarships available, compared to # of verbal commitments so far?

I don't think 100% of these guys will keep their commitment, but I think a bunch of them will enroll in January and not all will count toward the 2012 class. The attrition will likely take place between Thanksgiving and mid-January.

We now have 4 guys that ranked in the top 100 for their position. Lowest total for the last 9 years. I'm all a flutter!

I know you won't answer this question cause you never answer anyone when they poke holes in your theory, but do you honestly believe this is going to be the worst class in gopher history? I see you have switched to "top 100 for their position" instead of the star argument. But rankings aside do you honestly think this is going to be the worst class ever when these players take the field? I've asked before to name players that you think will be awful and you have never answered.

I know you won't answer this question cause you never answer anyone when they poke holes in your theory, but do you honestly believe this is going to be the worst class in gopher history? I see you have switched to "top 100 for their position" instead of the star argument. But rankings aside do you honestly think this is going to be the worst class ever when these players take the field? I've asked before to name players that you think will be awful and you have never answered.

I said earlier that this is shaping up to be the worst. That was said before the class was this full. Some will likely play at some time in their career at Minnesota, but not all of them. Here is who I don't think will rise to any real productive play:

Brian Nicholson
Dominic Twitty
Dinero Moss
Scott Ekpe
Josh Bellasteros
Samad Hinds
Mitch Leidner
Eric Murray
Jack Lynn
Jordan Hinosa

This group will have to work extra hard to make an impact on the B1G. I hope they prove me wrong!

I said earlier that this is shaping up to be the worst. That was said before the class was this full. Some will likely play at some time in their career at Minnesota, but not all of them. Here is who I don't think will rise to any real productive play:

Brian Nicholson
Dominic Twitty
Dinero Moss
Scott Ekpe
Josh Bellasteros
Samad Hinds
Mitch Leidner
Eric Murray
Jack Lynn
Jordan Hinosa

This group will have to work extra hard to make an impact on the B1G. I hope they prove me wrong!

Outstanding research. Did you just go to rivals and list the 10 lowest rated players? Why didn't you add Maxx Williams and Isaac Fruechte since they are not rated yet? Clearly they will have to "work extra hard to make an impact".

Pedal it somewhere else

Brian Nicholson
Dominic Twitty
Dinero Moss
Scott Ekpe
Josh Bellasteros
Samad Hinds
Mitch Leidner
Eric Murray
Jack Lynn
Jordan Hinosa

So, you live in St Paul? You travel around the country and evaluate high school football players for a living? Willing to bet you have never seen, talked to or stood next to any one of these guys you are condemning.
Coach Kill has evaluated talent pretty well at each of his steps to become the head coach of the Gophers. I'm going to trust him over you and your negativity. Your basis of evaluation is at best someone elses. How does your butt feel about what's coming outta your mouth?

Brian Nicholson
Dominic Twitty
Dinero Moss
Scott Ekpe
Josh Bellasteros
Samad Hinds
Mitch Leidner
Eric Murray
Jack Lynn
Jordan Hinosa

I would be willing to bet at least half of the guys you listed here see significant playing time by the end of their junior years.

Nicholson looks really good on tape, imo. Moss looks to be a talented DB who isn't afraid to come up and help out with the run. Hinojosa is a top 15 DL in Florida, that's saying something. Hinds is a red zone target at worst. Murray, Lynn, and Leidner are all guys they evaluated at camp. Kill and his staff must believe they can be quality contributors in the B1G otherwise he wouldn't have offered them a scholarship.

Nicholson is one of the best players out of South Florida

Nicholson's issues are more with academics. If he keeps them under control, i'd be shocked if he wasn't seeing a lot of PT by his RS SO season.

Moss....he will absolutely see quite a bit of PT. Simply look at the depth concerns we have at DB and think about the kid's versatility.

I was pretty surprised to see those two kids (especially) on the random kids you decided to pick on out of a hat.

So only one defensive player (Drew Davis) in the entire class will end up getting serious minutes in his career? That's almost impossible.

We Are Being Punished by 3M

3M is very upset at this board for not accepting his take on Kill's recruiting class earlier and his marketing program for Jerry Kill. As I recall, 3M said something to the effect this issue wasn't going away and he was going to make dam sure it didn't.

After reading this I thought he must be was suffering from "Wren Syndrome" i.e. the belief that if you say something over and over it must then be true. Now it seems to me that he is just acting like a child who is throwing a temper tantrum because he is not getting his way.

Whatever it is, it is pretty pathetic. What is he going to do next; threaten us that he isn't going to invite us to his birthday party?

So only one defensive player (Drew Davis) in the entire class will end up getting serious minutes in his career? That's almost impossible.

What's also funny is how he arbitrarily picked Drew Davis as the one guy he see's as a diamond-in-the-rough. I'm not ripping on Drew Davis, but he is the kind of guy that he would hate (no other BCS offers, 2 star, etc.), yet with Drew Davis....he broke down enough film and talked to the coaches in North Carolina enough that he expects some contribution from Davis. Drew Davis was the only one that was able to survive his critical eye for talent.

OR....

He picked names out of a hat and randomly didn't choose Davis.

Brian Nicholson
Dominic Twitty
Dinero Moss
Scott Ekpe
Josh Bellasteros
Samad Hinds
Mitch Leidner
Eric Murray
Jack Lynn
Jordan Hinosa

I would guess you would have put Mcknight and Stoudemire in a similar list when they signed with the Gophers. Both were 2 star 5.4 ranked guys when initially committed and were considered players signed to get Cooper and Reeves. They were both adjusted to 3 star 5.5 rankings (lowest 3 star level) by seasons end. I think most would say of the 4 players signed, the 2 lowest ranked players have been the most productive. Gary Tinsley is another canidate for you list 3 star 5.5 de in high school.
My major complaint when recruiting season started was we were signing all lesser recruited players, but since that time Kill has also added several highly recruited players. Looks like a good mix of players shaping up and a very good class. I'm pretty happy so far!!

Lies and the man who states them best

3M is very upset at this board for not accepting his take on Kill's recruiting class earlier and his marketing program for Jerry Kill. As I recall, 3M said something to the effect this issue wasn't going away and he was going to make dam sure it didn't.

After reading this I thought he must be was suffering from "Wren Syndrome" i.e. the belief that if you say something over and over it must then be true. Now it seems to me that he is just acting like a child who is throwing a temper tantrum because he is not getting his way.

Whatever it is, it is pretty pathetic. What is he going to do next; threaten us that he isn't going to invite us to his birthday party?

Just refuting something over and over and telling lies about what I said does not make it any truer because you say it.

Well, I will never be convinced that recruiting kids that need special development will somehow become greater athletes than their counterparts at championship level B!G schools. I am grateful that Jerry Kill has not called this a great recruiting class. I think he would say it needs to be better to truly compete in our conference. The media has ranked Minnesota last or near last in recruiting this year and for our chances of winning the B!G. So, if I were to challenge the status of the virtual Delphi group that ordained the Goophies to come in last, I would be a bit naive. I won't challenge their opinion. I agree with it for the reasons I already have stated: low recruiting scores, longer development time, lag, lag, lag our peers. I also think too many Gopher fans, like yourself, have a penchant for magical thinking, and will continue to deny simple facts -- like thinking an unranked recruit in June is somehow something more than a diamond in the rough. Not every diamond is worthy of being sold for their flaws. The same with trying to sell me that all these gems are worth buying into for their clarity, color and carets. They all lack top strength, speed, or endurance. They all lack refined football skills to some degree or another to be considered lesser football players than the hundreds of others that were available and were picked up by other schools in the BCS.

According to the BCS officials, all 120 D1 schools are BCS, not just the top 6 conferences (wink, wink). Of those, Rivals has rankings for 19 categories. So, potentially their could be as many as 1900 players ranked. Although, not all do have that many. But, for our purpose, as biased as it is, I will say our share is 4 of 1900 or a mere .002 of ranked players. If we got a standard amount, we should have packed in a walloping .008 of these guys. So, we compiled 1/4th of our potential. If half of the recruits would not qualify academically for the U, then we are still only getting half our potential. If Rivals only ranked 950 players, we would still only have achieved half our potential. The would have's, should have's, ought to's really have no basis for suggesting our recruits are fabulous. They missed out on potentially 1900 top ranked spots. More cause for alarm. Not less cause.

If we win 5 games this year, instead of my 1 game prediction, I think that would be the top of my potential range of potential wins in a best case scenario. But, you didn't ask if I had a best case scenario. I only offered the worst case scenario. Why did I do that? In the hope that the board would put some pressure on Kill to improve his results. I wanted the board to put some fire under him to perform. Instead, you and others are willing to give him a free pass. Why? We fired Brew because he didn't get a free pass last year. Why give any of our coaches free passes ever? Is Kill proving in recruiting that he deserves a free pass? 4 out of 1900 is far less than 16 out of 16 recruits in their top 100. 16 would be a normal potential of top 1900 players in the BCS. If we only hit on 12, I would be satisfied that the class hit on all cylinders. This class fired on 1 cylinder on a 4 cylinder economy class vehicle. Nothing to crow about here.

Since you love running these numbers so much and put so much stock in them you should be more accurate with your information. Rivals doesn't have a top100 for every position, not even close. For example, Pro-style QB ranks 30 players. Same with Dual-threat QBs. All-purpose rbs they only rank 15 while the plain old rb category ranks 55. A whopping 5 players are listed under the fb category. And only 10 kickers are ranked. In fact the ONLY category that list 100 players is WR, all the other categories rank less then 100. So go back to the drawing board.

3M Man

Originally Posted by Mustang Mountain Man
"I said earlier that this is shaping up to be the worst. That was said before the class was this full. Some will likely play at some time in their career at Minnesota, but not all of them. Here is who I don't think will rise to any real productive play:

Brian Nicholson
Dominic Twitty
Dinero Moss
Scott Ekpe
Josh Bellasteros
Samad Hinds
Mitch Leidner
Eric Murray
Jack Lynn
Jordan Hinosa"

Anybody who would make a statement like this either has an agenda or is clueless. I doubt if you can find one person on this board that doesn’t realize that the chance of your above prediction coming true is slim and none. Do you really believe Jerry Kill and his staff selected 10 recruits that will not “rise to any real productive play?” As Jerry Kill has often said, you really won’t know how good your recruits are for probably at least of couple of years. What we do know is that Jerry has proven that he knows a hell a lot more about judging recruits than either you or the recruiting services. You made that perfectly clear by the unbelievable dumb statement above.

Ah MMM, you've become a parody of a troll. It's like your super troll id has broken free. Hopefully you've posted more entertaining drivel by the time I return with popcorn.

Top Bottom