2012 recruiting

Ole

Reaction score
Obligatory 2012 thread, any thoughts on who we might get to commit?

I'm going to assume in state we'll bring in quite a few, some as walk-ons, no inside knowledge.
Mv's got a good list:http://fringebowlteamblog.com/?p=2779

QB-J. Molberg- Like his potential, seems to WANT to be a Gopher
WR-A. McDonald-Big body, speed is a question supposedly
WR-E. Wells-I've seen him in person on the track, he's got speed and good height
OL-Z. Johnson
OL-S. Lee
OL-C. Roullier
TE-T. Montero-Nice size and body awareness, a good solid prospect
DT-J. Harden-Really good DT, height is in question
DT-K. Dunbar- Big time talent
LB-M. Williams- Supposedly a great athlete
LB-B. McDonald- We've recruited Mahtomedi well recently for walk-ons too
LB-M. Arends- Already has Mike Sherels's support, looks very similar to to me like Trucilla who walked on this year but bigger and a bit slower maybe
S-N. Rallis- Solid commit, really good defensive player

I have a lukewarm feeling about Hayes, Pirsig, Nelson, and Webb.
Alot of these kids have some favorable connection to recent recruits or former gophers which should help.
Harden may want big time attention, but his height will be a tough sell to BCS top dogs, we'll see if Hitchcock's Cretin prediction holds true for him and Montero.
Mike Sherels on staff now being a former Prior Lake coach I would think helps us with Dunbar and Arends, I'd be suprised if Dunbar gets his LSU offer.
Maxx Williams is a legacy, we've seen that not matter as much as you think it would in recent recruiting years.

Beyond the instaters, I think we'll se an emphasis on defensive speed and offensive skill positions, we're going to need a bunch of WR's and some faster RB's.
I could see a bunch of speedy DB's, DE's and LB's and lean on local talent for the OL and DT's, I like Molberg as the QB, but maybe Kill will bring in 2 or more QB's see how they do and move them to another position if they can develop there. It should be a big class either way.
JUCOwise I could see a few guys brought in on the DL or in the secondary if this upcoming season doesn't go well defensively.

Isn't max williams a legacy to iowa? I've spoken to him a few times and he wasn't big on brew at all~iowa is where his dad went if I'm not mistaken

dunno, MV said his dad is former gopher Brian Williams

I'm pretty sure he went to school with his buddy bob kratch @ iowa~they re still family friends and come to a lot of basketball games together and both wear iowa caps~btw max likes kill much more than brew

I'm pretty sure he went to school with his buddy bob kratch @ iowa~they re still family friends and come to a lot of basketball games together and both wear iowa caps~btw max likes kill much more than brew

Quick wiki search to verify, those two played in the NFL together, Williams went to the U, Kratch to iowee, sucks if Williams wears crapeye stuff now, good that Maxx likes Kill more.

Edit again:
Ferentz was Kratch's OL coach at iowee

Ole,

Harden has said he would "love" a U offer and is really hoping he gets one soon. I think we have a pretty good shot at him. Webb went down to the football offices and met with Kill and Claeys, said he really likes the coaches and was going to get them his transcripts ASAP so he could get his offer. Farrow also called coach Kill to talk to him about Webb, he really wants Webb to go to MN and wanted to get the word in Kill's ear. No doubt Farrow would be a Gopher right now if not for Brew's ego, Kill could have talked him into flipping but was instructed not to. We have a good chance with Hayes, his brother met with Kill and really liked him, his mind was made up on Stanford already though. If we go hard at Hayes we have a great chance, and I think we will.
Dunbar is another kid nobody thinks we have a chance with, but we do. If he doesn't get the LSU offer I think he goes to the U. His dad is on record as saying Karmichael really likes the U and that mom and dad would both like to have him close by if that is what he wants. Karmichael also just said that he love MN and the people here and that if he went down south to play he couldn't play in the snow, which is something he really likes. Pirsig is one of those small town kids who could easily end up here since he is from a close family and from a town that loves the Gophers (even though its from a border town, all that usually does is intensify the hate). I can easily see Kill relate to the kid and family since they have the same farming backgrounds. I think he reels Pirsig in. Maybe I'm just too optimistic, but I don't think there is a kid in this class who we don't have a good shot with. That is unlike the past when there was always a kid or two at the top who we already knew wanted out.

Just my thoughts...

Ole,

Harden has said he would "love" a U offer and is really hoping he gets one soon. I think we have a pretty good shot at him. Webb went down to the football offices and met with Kill and Claeys, said he really likes the coaches and was going to get them his transcripts ASAP so he could get his offer. Farrow also called coach Kill to talk to him about Webb, he really wants Webb to go to MN and wanted to get the word in Kill's ear. No doubt Farrow would be a Gopher right now if not for Brew's ego, Kill could have talked him into flipping but was instructed not to. We have a good chance with Hayes, his brother met with Kill and really liked him, his mind was made up on Stanford already though. If we go hard at Hayes we have a great chance, and I think we will.
Dunbar is another kid nobody thinks we have a chance with, but we do. If he doesn't get the LSU offer I think he goes to the U. His dad is on record as saying Karmichael really likes the U and that mom and dad would both like to have him close by if that is what he wants. Karmichael also just said that he love MN and the people here and that if he went down south to play he couldn't play in the snow, which is something he really likes. Pirsig is one of those small town kids who could easily end up here since he is from a close family and from a town that loves the Gophers (even though its from a border town, all that usually does is intensify the hate). I can easily see Kill relate to the kid and family since they have the same farming backgrounds. I think he reels Pirsig in. Maybe I'm just too optimistic, but I don't think there is a kid in this class who we don't have a good shot with. That is unlike the past when there was always a kid or two at the top who we already knew wanted out.

Just my thoughts...

AMEN BROTHER. I love to hear it. I really believe if the parents of these kids have influence, Kill will keep them home. Nelson will be the toughest to keep.

You're right, Nelson is probably the only one who we can be sure won't come here, but thats ONLY if he get a UW offer. If he does, o well, Mollberg will get an offer and is every bit as talented as Nelson. So its a win-win situation there.

2012 looks very deep. Has there ever been a time that MN had three 6'9" 300lbs. players in one class. Not only are the scholarships important, but 2012 looks deep in walk-on material as well.

2012 looks very deep. Has there ever been a time that MN had three 6'9" 300lbs. players in one class. Not only are the scholarships important, but 2012 looks deep in walk-on material as well.
It has the potential to be a program changer if Kill can lock up the right combo of guys. It's a good mix of metro and outstate kids that can play in the Big 10.

Yeah Maxy, this is really a peculiar class (in a good way). There is a ton of developed talent at positions that aren't super easy to find QB, DB, and DT but then there is a ton of these mammoth project type of OL.

Pirsig must be the most ready of these kids to play, I assume because of his offer list already, but there are more than three guys who are 6'7"+, 300lbs basketball player type of prospects in this class.

I really hope the kind of energy and optimism around the program right now can be sustained with marked improvement on the field because this 2012 class could seriously be a program changer (even if we don't completely lock down the borders).

Imagine if we started this class with:
-Rallis
-Max Williams
-Mollberg
-Moreno
-Z. Johnson
-Webb (I wanted to give us 1 of the three tough guys to get (Pirsig, Webb, Nelson)
-Harden
-McDonald
-Wells
-S. Lee

Now imagine that we recruit decent out of state, not spectacular, but add some speed, a solid RB, etc.

Top Bottom