2011 Big Ten Predictions

FireDaveLee

Grizzled Veteran
Reaction score
Good to get people's thoughts BEFORE the event occurs. Always seems to work better than the "I knew Brewster was going to fail when I saw him lying on the ground during the Bowling Green game" yet they were cheering more than ever after the 2008 Illinois game.

Legends:
1: Nebraska 11-1 (7-1) [Loss @ Wisconsin]
2: Iowa 10-2 (6-2) [Lose @ PSU & @ Neb]
3: Michigan State 7-5 (4-4) [Lose @ ND, @ OSU, WI, @ Neb & @ IA]
4: Northwestern 6-6 (3-5) [Lose @ BC, @ IL, @ IA, PSU, @ Neb & MSU]
T-5: Michigan 5-7 (2-6) [Wins vs. WMU, EMU, SDSU, MN & Pur]
T-5: Minnesota 5-7 (2-6). [Wins vs. NMSU, MIA, NDSU, Pur & IL]

Leaders:
T-1: Ohio State 11-1 (7-1) [Loss @ Neb]
T-1: Wisconsin 11-1 (7-1) [Loss @ OSU]
3: Penn State 8-4 (5-3) [Lose vs. Bama, Neb, @ OSU & @ WI]
4: Illinois 7-5 (4-4) [Lose vs. ASU, OSU, @ PSU, WI & @ MN]
5: Indiana 5-7 (1-7) [Wins @ Ball State, VA, SCarSt., NoTex, & Purdue]
6: Purdue 3-9 (0-8) [Wins vs. MTU, @ Rice & SEMoSt.]

Championship Game: Nebraska over Ohio State

Illinois won't win 7. I'm pretty close to you though. I think Nebraska drops another one somewhere and Iowa wins the division. I actually think Ohio state might have an 8 win season.

I don't want to predict Sconnie or Iowa winning any so I will not partake in this exercise. Although I would love to see scUM and their "Michigan" man sitting at the bottom of the division.

Illinois won't win 7. I'm pretty close to you though. I think Nebraska drops another one somewhere and Iowa wins the division. I actually think Ohio state might have an 8 win season.

IL is in the Leaders & doesn't play Nebraska, Iowa or Michigan State, which is for the most part, the consensus top-3 in the Legends. Just some food for thought.....they have a schedule that could allow them wins. Personally, I'd buy on Illinois; not for the long term, but for the Big Ten season in terms of where most people think they'll end up purely because of who they play.

OSU: They should go 4-0 in non-conference, and they're most difficult games are at home, minus Nebraska. I can understand why some are in the 8-9 win range for OSU, but I think they're too talented.

Also, for anyone interested, here are your current lines to WIN the Big Ten (WIN defined as winning the championship game)
IL: 30/1
IN: 60/1
IA: 11/1
MI: 20/1
MSU: 8/1
MN: 55/1
NE: 9/5
NW: 20/1
OSU: 11/2
PSU: 13/4
PUR: 55/1
WI: 3/2

Odds to WIN Leaders Division:
IL: 12/1
IN: 28/1
OSU: 9/4
PSU: 9/4
PUR: 33/1
WI: EV

Legends Division:
IA: 9/2
MI: 13/2
MSU: 19/4
MN: 30/1
NE: 4/7
NW: 9/1

Legends:
1: Nebraska 11-1 (7-1) [L v OSU]
Week after wisky game NU comes out hungover(multiple types), Big ten grind hits for the first time. Does not bode well for us following the bye week with NU having something to prove.(Our biggest loss of the year)

2: Michigan State 8-4 (5-3) [Lose @ ND, @ OSU, Wisky @ Neb]
Good, solid team is class below top tier, but beats 5 BT teams, pays Iowee back for last year

3: Iowa 8-4 (4-4) [Lose @ PSU, @MN, MSU & @ Neb]
loses to teams with something to prove/rivalry consequences.
Ferentz takes a step back, think 06.

4: Minnesota 7-5 (4-4). [Wins vs. NMSU, MIA, NDSU, Pur, IA, NW & IL]
Kill gets it done, shaky O is enough to beat early NC foes, falters against Michigan, but again is enough against Pur. Iowa rivalry fuels the kids in defense of Floyd(my predict for our big upset), team grows strong down the stretch. We play great against wisky,(my predict for best upset bid falls short) even knocking out their QB(2nd string at that point), alas we fall short, but with wins at NW and at home in Zook's last stand on the cold field of TCF bank in Nov.(my predict for biggest win, 52-13)

5: Michigan 7-5 (4-4) [Wins vs. WMU, EMU, SDSU, MN, NW, Pur, IL]
Hoke gets enough out of his team to muster some home wins and start the Zook slide

6: Northwestern 4-8 (1-7) [Lose @ BC, @ IL, Mich, @ IA, PSU, @ Neb, MN & MSU] Persa's injury must be worse than their letting on, if he misses BC he'll miss more. Defense will take a step back.

Leaders:
1: Ohio State 11-1 (7-1) [Loss wisky]
Team is still talented, class of big ten until further notice, early game against NU is difference maker could go either way

2: Wisconsin 10-2 (6-2) [Loss NU, PSU] Wilson is great but ends up working outside the framework of the wisky O, tries to do too much, ends up getting hit alot, this ain't the ACC. OSU knocks him out late in a 2010 Persa v Iowa type performance.
Team wins against PU, faltering IL, and pulls out a close one at TCF bank.
We knock out their 2nd string QB, PSU capitalizes in the final week putting a dagger in BB's heart.

3: Penn State 9-3 (6-2) [Lose vs. Bama, Neb, @ OSU]
A nice year for the fighting Joe Pa's with a gift game against QB-less wisky in the final week. BB does something immature/d*ckish/classless to JoePa that pisses everyone off except the wisky faithful.

4: Indiana 6-6 (2-6) [Wins @ Ball State, VA, SCarSt, NoTex, & IL, Purdue]
Indy upends IL midseason, shows improvement awaits Gunner Kiel in 2012.

5: Illinois 5-7 (2-6) [Lose vs. ASU, OSU, , @Indy @ PSU, Michigan, WI & @ MN] Zook starts the season 5-1 with a win over NW in Big Ten play, bottom falls out @Indy in a classic Zookered game, OSU crushes, a short recovery against Hope's PU walking wounded and then the bottom falls out.

6: Purdue 3-9 (0-8) [Wins vs. MTU, @ Rice & SEMoSt.]
Hope is in trouble, injuries continue, overall play isn't great, seat is very hot in 2012, PU starts looking for post-Tiller regime change.

That was fun. I hope I didn't overlook something, tough to get every team's W/L's straight.

Championship Game: Nebraska over Ohio State, NU gets it's revenge

Don't you think that by the time the B1G season starts that OSU will be made ineligible for the Championship game? What a black eye for the conference if they won the division and the Championship game, only to not go to a bowl? There's some big crap coming down on these guys before season's end.

Nebraska will not see such success. They are overrated. The Legends will go down to the last week. I predict a big surprise going to the Rose bowl.

Illinois at 12/1 to take the Leaders? I'll take that.

MSU at 19/4? WTF is that? Odd.

MSU at 19/4? WTF is that? Odd.

Simply +475......but 19/4 is the lowest fraction that it comes to. It does look pretty odd though.

As for OSU, I think it's going to take at least a year before anything comes down from the NCAA....their self-imposed sanctions of 2 years probation & forfeit of the 2010 season was probably enough to call off the dogs, at least for now. Who knows though.

Not a

Not a *ucking one of us knows...All blow smoke out their a$$es.

Not a

A whole lot of nothing in this post.

Did your little pinky get stuck on the enter key?

G
O

G
O
P
H
E
R
S

Not a *ucking one of us knows...All blow smoke out their a$$es.

GO GOPHERS

UW over MSU, avenging a regular season road loss.

Assumptions for top 4:
OSU wins east with 7-1 record but gets banned from title game
Wisconsin 6-2 loses at OSU and MSU but beats PSU, Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, Gophers, and Nebraska
MSU 7-1 (loss @ OSU) edges NU because of NU crossover losses to UW and OSU

Also bowling:
PSU, Michigan, Northwestern, Illinois
Gophers are better than expected and win 6, 3-5 B10 to round out the bowl slate

Staying home:
OSU (banned)
Indiana (too soon)
Purdue (injuries again)
Iowa (Rhabdo hangover)

Legends
T1. Nebraska (10-2, 6-2) -- wins tiebreaker with head-to-head win over Sparty
T1. Michigan State (10-2, 6-2)
3. Northwestern (7-5, 4-4)
T4. Iowa (7-5, 3-5)
T4. Michigan (7-5, 3-5)
T4. Minnesota (6-6, 3-5) -- win season finale over Illini to become bowl eligible

Leaders
1. Wisconsin (11-1, 7-1) -- Wilson takes this team from very good to great.
2. Ohio State (10-2, 6-2)
3. Penn State (9-3, 6-2)
T4. Indiana (6-6, 2-6)
T4. Illinois (5-7, 2-6)
6. Purdue (3-9, 0-8)

Championship Game: Wisconsin over Nebraska (Badgers complete season sweep)

Bowl Eligible: Everyone except Illinois and Purdue.

This thread is why this place is 'the Place' for Gopher Football fans.

I think Michigan will be better than expected, even with the new system. Something like 8-4. They have a very MSU 2010-esque schedule, in that they leave the state of Michigan once in their first 8 games (and that trip is to Northwestern, where there will probably be as much Maize and Blue as Purple and White).

I admit I haven't tried to break down or analyze rosters, other than some capsule previews - but I'm surprised at the high expectations for Penn State. I would be surprised if they win more than 8 games - more of a gut feeling than anything.

I also think Ohio State is going to have more problems then some people expect. No established QB, key players sitting out multi-game suspensions, new head coach, all the off-season turmoil. Add it up, and I can't see more than 8 or 9 wins tops.

Gophs - I would love to see a 6-6 or 7-5 season, but my gut tells me 5-7. Too many question marks. I think Kill is going to win here, but it's going to take a couple of years to get the program heading in the right direction.

Top Bottom