2010 Student Season Football Tickets On-sale Saturday, April 24th!‏

GopherLady

Reaction score
From Gophersports email - looks like there's only one change to last year's process:

Join 10,000 of your fellow students on Saturdays this Fall and celebrate the pageantry and tradition of College Football! Cheer on the Gophers in the best college football stadium in the country, beautiful TCF Bank Stadium!

The 2010 home schedule is one of the most attractive in the history of Gopher Football. The Gophers will battle national powers USC, Penn State, Ohio State and Iowa - all at home! Student tickets sold-out in 2009 so buy your tickets this Saturday to make sure that you don't miss out!

Student season football tickets will go on-sale starting at 10:00 am on Saturday, April 24, 2010.

* All student season football tickets will be sold online through www.gophersports.com.
* 8,000 season tickets will be on-sale on a first-come, first-served basis to any current University of Minnesota-TC student who will be a registered student or graduate student in the fall of 2010.
o Undergraduate students must be enrolled with a minimum of (6) credits for the 2010 fall semester in order to receive their ticket.
o Graduate students must be enrolled with a minimum of (1) credit for the 2010 fall semester in order to receive their ticket.
o A season ticket will not be distributed to an individual who purchases a season ticket with an invalid U of M Student ID number or is not enrolled at the University of Minnesota with a minimum of 6 credits for the 2010 fall semester.
o Tickets will be available for pick-up in late August. Students must present their U of M student ID when picking up their ticket. More information will be sent via email regarding student season football ticket pick-up in early August.
* Students are eligible to purchase one (1) 2010 student Football season ticket.
* The price of 2010 Student Football season tickets will be $84.00 plus a $6.00 order fee and includes the official football student section t-shirt. The order fee covers credit card fees, processing and the cost of the student section t-shirt.
* The remaining 2,000 season tickets will be available in mid August for the 2010-11 freshmen class, new graduate, professional and transfer students.
* New this year:
o A limited number of student guest passes will be sold. More information will be available on the guest passes in mid-May.

In order to purchase a season ticket, students must create an account online. Please click the link below to create your account. Please remember your User Name and Password as you will need it to purchase your season ticket. If you purchased a student season ticket last year, you need to use the same User Name and Password. If you do not remember your User Name or Password please contact the Gopher Ticket Office at 612-624-8080 before Saturday, April 24th. Please do not create another account.

Resisting the urge to take a cheap shot…………….

So I take it they didn’t reduce the number of tickets available for students?

Resisting the urge to take a cheap shot…………….

So I take it they didn’t reduce the number of tickets available for students?

I did too!

With all Maturi's talk about how he was going to look so closely at the student ticket situation, and aside from student guest passes, no change. I think there were about 50 idea thrown out on this board alone on how to improve attendance and atmosphere. I don't know why I ever expect change and growth...I get my hopes up everytime, for nothing!

I did too!

With all Maturi's talk about how he was going to look so closely at the student ticket situation, and aside from student guest passes, no change. I think there were about 50 idea thrown out on this board alone on how to improve attendance and atmosphere. I don't know why I ever expect change and growth...I get my hopes up everytime, for nothing!

i feel your pain:mad:

They also raised the price slightly. Probably not high enough to eliminate student apathy though.

the tyranny of the status quo

Another chance to be a big boy program lost.

It looks to me like they are hoping the problem takes care of itself. Here’s what I mean–last year when the “new” system was instituted for TCF we heard a lot about the fact that many students didn’t attend or make an effort to get their tickets to someone else because they didn’t have enough invested to make it worth the effort of trying to do so. Isn’t it likely that students who had tickets last year but didn’t use them (or give/sell them to someone who would do so) will decide not to purchase tickets this time around? It’s one thing to purchase tickets for the new stadium and then abandon the ticket investment during the year if you decide that you don’t enjoy the games, the atmosphere wasn’t what you were looking for, the games were too early, the lines were too long, etc. etc., but it’s another thing entirely to sign up again knowing that you didn’t enjoy the experience the first time.

I’d like the U to be more proactive, and I have read many good ideas here on how to do that, but this seems like a reasonable first step to see how the students react. If the result is that a significantly larger number of the student seats end up in the hands of students who are more interested in the games and they actually use them, that’s great. If the result is that only 6,000 student tickets are sold, then they can sell the remainder off to the general public (or recent grads or current season ticket holders who want to add seats) without having to face the criticism that they “took back” the students seats. And if the results are the same as last year where the students buy all the tickets but still don’t use them, they can try a different tweak to the system next year.

Here is the thing. Last year, they sold out and then some in the student section. They cannot reduce the size of the student section because the agreement was for 10,000. Right now they are focusing on selling the tickets. Right now they cant really change anything to increase attendance. That will more than likely take place down the road.

Here is the thing. Last year, they sold out and then some in the student section. They cannot reduce the size of the student section because the agreement was for 10,000. Right now they are focusing on selling the tickets. Right now they cant really change anything to increase attendance. That will more than likely take place down the road.

What can they change down the road that they couldn't do now? They control the allocation of tickets, it isn't as if they have a deal with a third party like the metropolitan sports commission.

Down the road? When? Maturi said many times that the embarassment would be addressed. Down the road.....like every thing else.

What can they change down the road that they couldn't do now? They control the allocation of tickets, it isn't as if they have a deal with a third party like the metropolitan sports commission.

The U can only sell to students. If the demand is there to sell out the entire student section, and then some, then what do you suggest? You cannot sell these tickets to non students if students are willing to buy them. What I am saying is sell the tickets now, and then they will have to do something closer to the season to get kids to use their tickets for every game.

Down the road? When? Maturi said many times that the embarassment would be addressed. Down the road.....like every thing else.

Down the road as in this summer. Before the season starts.

Maybe the extra guest passes will be an additional number of tickets sold each game to help fill in the empty space up top...

maybe the U could give a S*&# about the atmosphere in the student section instead of selling out the students experience with all their dumb promotions crap and getting bullied by old farts

It looks to me like they are hoping the problem takes care of itself. Here’s what I mean–last year when the “new” system was instituted for TCF we heard a lot about the fact that many students didn’t attend or make an effort to get their tickets to someone else because they didn’t have enough invested to make it worth the effort of trying to do so. Isn’t it likely that students who had tickets last year but didn’t use them (or give/sell them to someone who would do so) will decide not to purchase tickets this time around? It’s one thing to purchase tickets for the new stadium and then abandon the ticket investment during the year if you decide that you don’t enjoy the games, the atmosphere wasn’t what you were looking for, the games were too early, the lines were too long, etc. etc., but it’s another thing entirely to sign up again knowing that you didn’t enjoy the experience the first time.

I’d like the U to be more proactive, and I have read many good ideas here on how to do that, but this seems like a reasonable first step to see how the students react. If the result is that a significantly larger number of the student seats end up in the hands of students who are more interested in the games and they actually use them, that’s great. If the result is that only 6,000 student tickets are sold, then they can sell the remainder off to the general public (or recent grads or current season ticket holders who want to add seats) without having to face the criticism that they “took back” the students seats. And if the results are the same as last year where the students buy all the tickets but still don’t use them, they can try a different tweak to the system next year.

:clap:

I'm still in the "many students bought tickets hoping to sell them for a profit" camp. I'd wager that many thought they'd be able to pay for their season ticket just by selling the Badger ticket.

How could you blame them for thinking about the easy money when every Badger and Gopher Board had Badger fans talking about how they would still have 10-12,000 plus fans at TCF regardless of what the U did to try and stop them.

When the for profit only students found they couldn't sell the tickets they just quit going to the games.

Most of the plans for "fixing" the problem either revolved around cutting back on Student Tickets, (which violated a promise to the Legislature didn't it?) or allowing the student buyers to be able to profit from their unused or unwanted tickets.

Nope, I'm with 2nd degree on this. See how things shake out with a big time Home Schedule before jumping into a plan that could need to be changed again.

All that said, if someone wanted to donate money for Penn State-like scanners I'm sure it would be welcomed with open arms!

Easy solution to reselling student tickets/filling the seats:

Student Ticket Stub Hub

Only way to login and buy is using your Minnesota username, students post tickets on there that they want to sell. Price automatically regulated according to demand (or however StubHub does it, might be done by the seller). Once a ticket is sold, old ticket becomes void and the new ticket can be picked up at Mariucci. Easy way for students to find tickets to any Gopher Sporting event. Any remaining tickets by Midnight before kickoff sold as single game (maybe standing room only?) tickets day of the game. Limit 1 ticket per customer, first come first serve.

Anyone have connections to the IT department in Athletics? This could definitely be running by the fall.

That and any remaining student tickets not sold by September should be sold as ticket packages. Take a cue from Baseball teams and sell a 4 pack of games or something so more people can get in to see some games (USC game might not be included in that though).

I have many friends who had bought tickets in the past who aren't buying them this year because of "the team sucking", which i don't like, but seems like the general vibe is the tickets will be getting bought by people who actually want them this year...

Student Tix

Just got done ordering my son's tix. Process was very simple and fast.

Top Bottom