2010 Gopher Class Offers

stevedave23

Reaction score
I thought it would be interesting to take a closer look at the scholarship offers that the 2010 Gopher football class received from other schools. I pulled these from This Thread.

Some interesting things to note:

-None of the gopher signees received an offer from Ohio State, Penn St, Illinois or Northwestern.
-19 out of 107 total offers came from a top 25 team.
-9 out of 107 total offers came from a top 15 school.
-5 out of 107 total offers came from a top 10 school.

What do you guys think? Pleasantly suprised? Disappointed?

MAC: 21
Big Ten: 16
Big East: 13
Big 12: 11
Conference USA: 10
Non-BCS: 10
Sun Belt: 6
ACC: 6
WAC: 5
Mountain West: 3
SEC: 3
Pac 10: 3

MAC
Western Michigan X 4
Central Michigan X 3
Kent State
Buffalo X 2
Akron
Ball St
Bowling Green X 2
Eastern Michigan X 2
Toledo
Ohio
N Illinois X 3

Big Ten
Purdue X 2
Iowa X 4
Wisconsin X 4
Indiana X 2
Michigan State X 3
Michigan

Big East
Connecticut X 2
Rutgers X 4
Syracuse
Pittsburgh X 2
Virginia
Cincinnati
Louisville
South Florida

Big 12
Colorado St X 2
Kansas
Kansas State X 2
Missouri
Nebraska
Colorado X 3
Texas Tech

Conference USA
East Carolina
Memphis
UAB X 2
UCF
Marshall X 2
Southern Miss
Houston
UTEP

Non-BCS
Stony Brook
Hampton
UND
NDSU
Idaho
Portland State
Delaware
Rhode Island
N Iowa
Illinois St

Sun Belt
Florida Intl X 3
Mid Tenn State
Louisiana-Lafayette
Louisiana-Monroe

ACC
Duke X 2
North Carolina
Miami (FL)
Boston College
Wake Forest

WAC
Louisiana Tech X 3
Brigham Young
Air Force

Mountain West
New Mexico
Utah State
UNLV

SEC
Arkansas
Mississippi
Mississippi State

Pac 10
UCLA
Arizona
Stanford

I really don't think that is neccesarily the best way too look at the level of talent of these kids. Essentially breaking it down that way sort of implies that the vast majority of our players were MAC caliber recruits. That simply is not the case. We had 9-10 (depending on where you look) athletes that didn't get BCS Conference offers.

We had 7 guys who had at least 3 offers from BCS conference schools. Edwards and Gjere both had 2 or less BCS offers because they committed so early, do we really think Gjere would have only had one other BCS conference offer had he not made it known his committment was solid?

However, to answer your question, I am a bit dissappointed with this class. I really think we lack any real play makers. I would like this class had it contained Louis (seems like it was a joke all along), Hawkins, or Huff.

I see what you're saying. I guess I like looking at recruiting this way as a change of pace from the star rating system. Personally, if I see the gophers signed a kid with offers from Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan and Michigan State that says something to me. If the gophers sign a kid with offers from Illinois St., Delaware and Mid Tennesee St I think that says something too. There's no reason the latter kid can't perform better than the former but as a general rule it's probably not likely.

Kids who commit early is a good point.

Top Bottom