2008-2010 recruiting comparisons

The reality is talent wins out over the long haul. What I mean by this is that UNI and others like them MIGHT make it to the NCAAs occasionally wheras tOSU and MSU are perenniel dancers .... and tend to go deeper into the tournament. To be a program like that, we need 4 and 5 star recruits (like Cory Josephn, for example). We don't need many, just one or two every year. So far, neither Hollins nor Eliason fit that bill. If the Gophs do not land Cory Joseph this year, they'll need two or more 4-5 star recruits next year. What are the chances of that????

That's how Tubby wins over the long haul (17 straight 20+ W seasons, longest in Div I).

He recruits talent and then coaches them to W way more often than not.

Tubby won NC and had 35 W at UK in 1998 with single 5 Star recruit (Turner) and several 4 Star recruits (Edwards, Anthony, Sheppard).

He was 32-4 and #1 team in AP poll in 2003 with single 5 Star recruit (Bogans) and several 4 Star recruits (Camara, Hawkins, Hayes, Azubuike).

Hmmm.

Tubby was probably thinking White and Mbakwe would actually get to play when he signed them.

Hollins has great upside potential. Role player to start out but solid player as upperclassman.

Eliason likewise. RS to start. Solid Big 10 player as upperclassman.

Perhaps you don't know but RECRUITING ISN'T OVER YET.

Sheesh.

Unfortunately, people just don't seem to understand that.

By the way, just a few recent Gophers who were 3-stars:

1. Damian Johnson
2. Blake Hoffarber
3. Colton Iverson
4. Al Nolen

Let's take a breath before we freak out about getting a few 3-stars here and there.

Unfortunately, people just don't seem to understand that.

By the way, just a few recent Gophers who were 3-stars:

1. Damian Johnson
2. Blake Hoffarber
3. Colton Iverson
4. Al Nolen

Let's take a breath before we freak out about getting a few 3-stars here and there.

Thank you.

Really? That's how you're evaluating him? Your attitude about a player is based off of the number of stars by scout? If you actually did a little research, you'd know that he's obviously a talented player that most programs would be happy to have. Look at more than one recruiting service, and the list of offers can often be more telling than the number of stars. Also keep in mind that the sites don't always include every offer a player gets.

Walker per scout.com is a 3 star prospect. Just like Eliason and Hollins. If people aren't thrilled with EE and AH, how does one get excited about Walker? I hope Cory Joseph decides to join his brother.

Back from Spring break .... I think most of you only remember the good parts of 3 start players. Say for example Damien Johnson. I thought he was a good player as a red-shirt senior. The other years ..... do any of you remember how "average" he was. Cobbs, as I recall, was a 2 star recruit (maybe 3). To say that he was good this past season .... you'd have to be smoking something. My contention is this:

2-3 star recruit = good as upperclassmen (mostly in senior year)
4 stars = good as underclassmen (RS3 and Iverson. Yes, Iverson was a 4 star recruit)
5 star = impact player as freshman

So, I am excited about the possibility of Cory Joseph or even Royce joining the Gophs. Mo Walker, AH and EE .... yyyaaawn. A top flight coach like Tubby ought to be able to land 3 star players in his sleep. Heck, even Monson landed 3 star players most of the time. Let's raise the bar a little and expect 4 star recruits from Tubby and his staff.

Tubby was probably thinking White and Mbakwe would actually get to play when he signed them.

Hollins has great upside potential. Role player to start out but solid player as upperclassman.

Eliason likewise. RS to start. Solid Big 10 player as upperclassman.

Perhaps you don't know but RECRUITING ISN'T OVER YET.

Sheesh.

I agree with FOT on this one. There is still some recruiting left and we have a great shot at one of the best players in the Nation as well as a top fifteen center. Tubby is a winner.

Top Bottom