2007 Class Tells Us What About Brewster/Staff

BigTenGuy

Reaction score
Small overachieved big time. Many others underachieved or left. Has anyone else overachieved from the '07 class? What does the '07 class tell us about Brewster? I certainly agree that he was hired too late to get many highly rated kids (not his fault), but what does the '07 class say about his ability to evaluate?

Small overachieved big time. Many others underachieved or left. Has anyone else overachieved from the '07 class? What does the '07 class tell us about Brewster? I certainly agree that he was hired too late to get many highly rated kids (not his fault), but what does the '07 class say about his ability to evaluate?

Uh, nothing whatsoever.

Why the 07 class? Why would anyone who is not a Brewster-hater think that the 07 class would be the best way to evaluate Brewster?

I would love to hear 1 reason why the 07 class would be a stronger indicator than the 08 class.

Last I saw yesterday, Rivals had us at 7 in the Big 10 recruiting and like 48th nationally and Scout had us at 11th in Big 10 and around 70th nationally. Let's evaluate on that...it is a horrible class by any standard.

Last I saw yesterday, Rivals had us at 7 in the Big 10 recruiting and like 48th nationally and Scout had us at 11th in Big 10 and around 70th nationally. Let's evaluate on that...it is a horrible class by any standard.

The responses seem to be right on. One month recruiting against 12 months? Getting three guys who could contribute was pretty solid. Only someone who hates Brewster or knows nothing about recruiting would bring it up.

Looking at your posts it's pretty easy to classify you as a "hater". This post exposes your lack of knowledge also.

Nice job!:clap:

Lack of knowledge? On what? Post your resume Coach Rockne! You are incredibly narrow minded...agree with your take and all is well. Disagree and there MUST be a lack of knowledge or a person is a "hater". I throw the B.S. card out on that one.
People can have varying opinions and still be knowledgeable and still be fans. Case in point, all the Mason haters that are on here blasting people that think Brewster is in over his head. Using your line of reasoning, when you were a Mason hater, you were not knowledgeable, now that you are defending Brewster, you are a genius. but...I dare say when Brewster fails and you call for his firing in a year or two, you will not think yourself such an idiot then. you will be "smart" enough to see a change needs to be made.
the only right opinion is your opinion...pure genius. :clap:

Are you guys all crazy? Our class is ranked around 50th on rivals. There are 2 or 3 two stars. The same number of 4 stars and the rest of the class is 3 stars. Wisconsin's is ranked around 85 on rivals. Wisconsin doesn't have a single 4 star if I remember correctly. On other threads there have been badger fans saying regardless of the stars they got quality player and they are happy with the class. We are not Florida, Texas or Alabama. We will never have a number one class. Now with that said the kids that signed yesterday may or may not become players.

Bottomline get over yourself and "star" ratings. You guys can have stars. I want this team to be full of foot-ball play-ers.

Even though I hate to say it, how much do you want to bet Wisconsin is still upper-tier in the big ten even with their "terrible" recruiting class.

Note to all Minnesota Fans: The sky is not falling

Lack of knowledge? On what? Post your resume Coach Rockne! You are incredibly narrow minded...agree with your take and all is well. Disagree and there MUST be a lack of knowledge or a person is a "hater". I throw the B.S. card out on that one.
People can have varying opinions and still be knowledgeable and still be fans. Case in point, all the Mason haters that are on here blasting people that think Brewster is in over his head. Using your line of reasoning, when you were a Mason hater, you were not knowledgeable, now that you are defending Brewster, you are a genius. but...I dare say when Brewster fails and you call for his firing in a year or two, you will not think yourself such an idiot then. you will be "smart" enough to see a change needs to be made.

Here's the problem. The question was about Brewster's ability to evaluate talent based on who is contributing. The original poster thought that looking at the 2007 provides some insight on that. Others, including myself, believe that perhaps the 2008 class, which Brewster had a full year to recruit, is a better guage.

You, on the other hand, chose to slam a class that has been signed for 24 hours and won't be on the field for six months. You completely avoided the question to bash Brewster. Your agenda is clear. Just try to keep it to the topic at hand.

Any honest person would have to say that 2008 class is a much better way to evaluate Brewster's recruiting. When a coach is hired only a month before signing day, that's not his recruiting class. All that can be expected in such a situation is to hold onto the existing committments as much as possible. Anything more is miraculous.

I thought you were talking about the 2007 class. I didn't notice that you changed the topic I stand corrected.

Brewster had almost no time to throw together a class that year. You can't expect a brand new coach with no name recognition to step into a program that is on the rocks and pick up superstars.

The guy had 3 weeks to recruit. Think about that for a second.

as far as i'm concerned the number of stars and the rank of the class is irrelevent in the overall picture. I think it comes down to coaching ability, which I think Brew has yet to prove he's got what it takes. I also think that the revolving door known as Offensive and Defensive Coordinator at the U has been a major impediment to sustained improvement in the program. There has to be some sort of continuity in the coaching staff otherwise we just retread from baseline every year. Until that happens, I suspect we will flounder as a program regardless of how many 4 star recruits we can get into the program.

I was raising a question trying to get at the evaluation side of recruiting, as opposed to being able to get the guys that everyone wanted, i.e. the sales/attraction side of recruiting. And I also agree that 2007 may not be a fair test or the best test. I was just raising a question. I guess I'll learn that's not welcome. But it is interesting that in Barry Alvarez's first class, done with limited time, he came up with a lot of guys that were the bed rock of the change in the porgram over there. Finally, since 2008 may be the better data point for Brewster, what does that tell us about Brewster's ability to evaluate underappreciated talent?

I was raising a question trying to get at the evaluation side of recruiting, as opposed to being able to get the guys that everyone wanted, i.e. the sales/attraction side of recruiting. And I also agree that 2007 may not be a fair test or the best test. I was just raising a question. I guess I'll learn that's not welcome. But it is interesting that in Barry Alvarez's first class, done with limited time, he came up with a lot of guys that were the bed rock of the change in the porgram over there. Finally, since 2008 may be the better data point for Brewster, what does that tell us about Brewster's ability to evaluate underappreciated talent?

Talent? Who knows? Record?

Barry's team went 1-10 in 1990, 5-6 in 1991, 5-6 in 1992 and 10-1-1 in 1993. He then won 8 games in 1994 and 4 in 1995 and 3 Big Ten games in 1996. So I'd say that Barry was just as bad in the first year, worse in the second the same in the third and a whole lot better in the fourth.

Brewster probably won't get to coach in 2011 if he doesn't win more games then Barry did in 5 of his first 7 years.

Dig a little deeper and you'll see that Brewster's first 3 years do not compare to Alvarez's first three years. In the three years before Alvarez was hired, Bucky went 1-7 each year in conference play. In the three years before Brewster was hired, Mason went 3-5 twice, and 4-4 once. So when Barry went 2-6 and 3-5 in conference play in years 2-3, that was a big step in the right direction, instead of just matching his fired predecessor, which is what Brewster has done. Wisconsin also beat Minnesota in years 2-3 of the Barry regime, and beat Ohio State in year 3. Brew has yet to beat a rival or a Big Ten power. Because of years 2-3, the Wisconsin crowd was way behind Alvarez entering into year 4, and optimistic about the future. Entering into year 4, the Minnesota crowd, as evidenced by this board and those that sit around me at TCF, not so much.

I am actually quite optimistic about next year, if Adam Weber figures out how to play again.

The difference between Scout and Rivals puzzles me a lot. Not saying one is right and the other is not, but the differences in rankings don't seem to mesh. At least to me.

Dig a little deeper and you'll see that Brewster's first 3 years do not compare to Alvarez's first three years. In the three years before Alvarez was hired, Bucky went 1-7 each year in conference play. In the three years before Brewster was hired, Mason went 3-5 twice, and 4-4 once. So when Barry went 2-6 and 3-5 in conference play in years 2-3, that was a big step in the right direction, instead of just matching his fired predecessor, which is what Brewster has done. Wisconsin also beat Minnesota in years 2-3 of the Barry regime, and beat Ohio State in year 3. Brew has yet to beat a rival or a Big Ten power. Because of years 2-3, the Wisconsin crowd was way behind Alvarez entering into year 4, and optimistic about the future. Entering into year 4, the Minnesota crowd, as evidenced by this board and those that sit around me at TCF, not so much.

That's true, but it's not an "apples to apples" comparison. It was also the case when Mason followed Wacker. Alvarez was a very good coach, maybe a great one, but no one knew going in if that was to be the case. If Alvarez, who had no Head Coaching experience and one year as an DC had followed Mason by going 1-10, finishing last in the Big Ten, 5-6 and 8th, and 5-6 and tied for 6th all when there were only 10 teams do you honestly think that " the Minnesota crowd, as evidenced by this board and those that sit around me at TCF,.. would have been all behind Barry getting an extension or even getting to coach in 2010?

Do you think that the Masonites wouldn't be hammering Maturi and Alvarez for firing their boy and bringing in another loser "without any Head Coaching experience"? Do you think that Alvarez, with the same record he had at Wisconsin, wouldn't have been crucified the way Brewster was on KFAN, for not signing Henderson? Well, probably not because Barry has no trouble leveling criticism at his players, something Brewster, probably to a fault, just won't do.

I stand by the prediction that Brewster will not reach Barry's fourth season heights. Brewster, except for the first 8 games in 2008, hasn't shown that he can be a Big Ten Head Coach. But if Barry was coaching here, after Mason, with his pre-Madison coaching experience, the local public would want his head on a platter also.

The difference between Scout and Rivals puzzles me a lot. Not saying one is right and the other is not, but the differences in rankings don't seem to mesh. At least to me.

The ESPN star numbers seem to align with Rivals, for what it's worth. The ranking though, is 9.

Heres' what they said:

9. Minnesota Golden Gophers
The Golden Gophers did not end up in the top-25 like in recent years, but the big surprise is how low they finished in the Big Ten. The class is deep with solid three-star talent, led by top-25 RB Devon Wright (Coral Springs, Fla./J.P. Taravella) who has the size and speed to help bolster a lackluster rushing attack in 2009. Top-20 guard Jimmy Gjere (New Brighton, Minn./Irondale) is technically sound and has a great reach which could help him also play tackle. The Golden Gophers went into the state of Florida, signing several prospects including sleeper DB Tyrone Bouie (Sanford, Fla./Seminole), a savvy corner who could play early as a nickel back.

The comparisons to Alvarez are interesting, but one caveat that I always think about is that it was a different time and a different place. I believe at the time Barry had more support from the admin and college in general than Brewster had behind him when he started. I also think the recruiting when Barry started was different than Brewster. It appears to be more hyped now than it was then and the kids themselves at least at the top level seem to have more prima donna syndrom that in the past. Maybe I am wrong but I am paying attention to recruiting more now than I did in the past so why shouldn' t the kids feel even more improtant thanthey did in the past.

The only thing the 2007 class tells us is...

The way to hire a football coach is not to set up a steering committee to oversee the ad hoc committee responsible for evaluating the progress of the external search firm that's been retained to make recommendations about coaching candidates and then make a decision weeks before national signing day. I'm not a Brewster fan and even I give him a pass for the 2007 recruiting class...

Let's see, was this one of the places where a couple three years ago people opined that Theret was a throwaway scholarship so Clint Brewster could have his buddy with him at school? Got that right, didn't you?

Top Bottom