2 way players

chubbygopher

Reaction score
I read where Murray Warmath only used 19 different players against some tough opponents. I'm not saying the Gophers should go that far...but could we fill some holes by having a few 2 way players? I imagine most of the team played on both sides of the ball in high school.

I read where Murray Warmath only used 19 different players against some tough opponents. I'm not saying the Gophers should go that far...but could we fill some holes by having a few 2 way players? I imagine most of the team played on both sides of the ball in high school.

There were substitution rules during some of his career and he could not use the entire roster.

Single Platoon Era

From 1953 through 1964 college football was restricted to the so-called single platoon football. This meant that players were required to play both offense and defense. In 1953, if a player was substituted for, he was not allowed to re-enter the game until the following quarter. In subsequent years these restrictions were gradually relaxed until 1965, when unlimited substitution was reinstated. Folks my age were able to watch Bobby Bell, Carl Eller, Sandy Stephens, Tom Brown and others tear up opponents on both sides of the ball.

I don't think sexual orientation should be an issue in collegiate sports in this day and age. But I can understand them wanting to keep it to themselves. Probably a self imposed don't ask don't tell is the wisest move fo two way players.

These players are struggling enough just trying to learn one position.

I don't think sexual orientation should be an issue in collegiate sports in this day and age. But I can understand them wanting to keep it to themselves. Probably a self imposed don't ask don't tell is the wisest move fo two way players.

That was a good one. A few more of those and you can put 'DR' in front of your name.
:drink:

two platoon football

When one platoon/limited substitution went to two platoon football it spelled the end for Minnesota football ever being relevent again. The game became a speed game and teams needed to have a plethora of good players who could specialize in speed or size. Minnesota just couldn't keep up.

2 platoon ball rewarded schools from large population areas but that has changed now that schools sour tha whole nation for talent. Tho playing close to home has advantages, just ask Jon Hoese.

2 platoon ball rewarded schools from large population areas but that has changed now that schools sour tha whole nation for talent. Tho playing close to home has advantages, just ask Jon Hoese.

Nebraska won 5 National Titles without two way players. And since when is Minnesota not in a large population area?

What is your problem with me? Did I miss the reason behind this stalking?

I read it the other way too. When 2 platoon schemes (for wont of a better term) were widely used, the U, being in a larger population base, experienced their dominance. Nebraska did not step up to the national stage until they could look further afield to bring in recruits.

But then again, we are looking at only two programs.

What is your problem with me? Did I miss the reason behind this stalking?

I've already said it, but I'll say it more slowly and in smaller words so you understand this time.

Stop telling people what to like and dislike. Moreover, stop telling people what to care and not care about.

EDIT: Since we're all about asking questions today, why did you make your smartass comment about whether I work or not, and then didn't respond when I called you out on it?

EDIT: Since we're all about asking questions today, why did you make your smartass comment about whether I work or not, and then didn't respond when I called you out on it?

I never saw your response. I was probably working.

Let's make a deal, I'll quit telling people how irrelevant sports radio and recruiting rankings are if you quit with the constant personal attacks.

When one platoon/limited substitution went to two platoon football it spelled the end for Minnesota football ever being relevent again. The game became a speed game and teams needed to have a plethora of good players who could specialize in speed or size. Minnesota just couldn't keep up.

How did it doom Minnesota but nobody else? Also, I wish you hadn't told me that Minnesota football will never be relevent again. Now I am going to have to get Wisconsin tickets and cheer for them.

Top Bottom