1989-90 (Melvin Newbern)

shikenjanski

Urinal Donor
Reaction score
In my house, Melvin Newbern was an object of love and of scorn. Sitting at the games, my Dad chimed in with the rest of crowd hollering at Melvin to "Get the ball up the court already!" Melvin had a tendency to walk the ball up the court and spend the first 10-12 seconds of the shot clock with the ball in his hands. (The Gophers weren't deep that year. Maybe Melvin was catching his breath bringing the ball up?)

The Gophers were 11-7 that year in the Big Ten. We were 11-7 in conference and we came within a breath of the Final Four. What gives? That team had long stretches in which the offense struggled and looked disjointed. There where a dozen games that year that we won or lost by just a few points. We could just as easily been 7-11 that year.

That Gopher team reminds me of other teams in the last 10-12 years that were an afterthought for the prognosticators but had the right pieces, had favorable match-ups in their draw and that ultimately made it to the Final Four. Teams like George Mason from three years back, Wisconsin with Dick Bennett, or Oklahoma St. with Eddie Sutton. (Any others?)

I'm not saying that this Gopher team is in position to go to the Final Four. Far from it. (We don't have the experienced horses like Coffey, Burton or Lynch.) But we do find ourselves in a unique position this year that affords us the luxury of critiquing our wins and losses.

I think that there may be a season in the near future where the Gophers struggle to find an identity on the court during the season and end up opening some eyes in the NCAA tournament. We will spend that year searching for answers amongst ourselves about why the Gophers don't have any chemistry or flow on offense. Come tourney time we find out that we do, in fact, have what it takes and we make a nice run. At that point someone should pipe up and talk about how, during the conference season, we go up against the best defenses in the nation night in, night out.

(Anyone see that Michigan @ UConn score from a week ago?)

Thanks for the walk down memory lane. I was playing in one of the pep bands that year and I was on rotation to go the Final Four had we made it. I will never forget the excitement of that tournament run and the dissapointment of losing to Georgia Tech in the regional final.

I just looked up the Gophers tourney performance from 1990 to refresh my memory. What a meat grinder that run was as a fan:

They beat UTEP (11 seed) in the first round game by 3 in OT.
Beat Northern Iowa (14 seed) in the second round by 3.
Beat Syracuse (2 seed) in the third round by 7.
Lost to Georgia Tech in (4 seed) the final by 2 missing a buzzer beater at the end, 93-91.

From what I remember, Willie Burton was the offensive strategy. He was the type of go-to-guy that this team does not have. He carried us through the rough patches when the other guys were not effective. This team lacks the guy that we can consistently give the ball to get us through the rough patches. Westbrook has shown flashes of this. I wish he could step up and be that man, but he just has not been that type of player as of yet in his career.

Newbern

Count me as big Newbern fan. I think that slow style you mentioned was a result of him being a shooting guard converted to point guard and Haskin's offense.

Newbern always seemed like the guy who made the surprise, momentum swinging play, especially making a steal and starting a fast break.

And given the quality of the Big 10 at that time, it's not too surprising we were overlooked in some quarters.

Top Bottom