1985 Gophers-Sooners game on Youtube

That game was just 2 years removed from the 84-13 Nebraska loss

It was amazing just how much progress was done in just two years. Even in defeat,
that had to be one of the best games the Gophers ever played in that building.

It was amazing just how much progress was done in just two years. Even in defeat,
that had to be one of the best games the Gophers ever played in that building.

I believe that Oklahoma team won the national championship that year.

They did, but it was after Aikman broke his leg against Miami. When Jamelle Holieway took over at QB, the offense just clicked. A week or two later, Aikman led them to 14 points against Texas, and 14 more losing to Miami. With Holieway at QB, they were back to scoring 40+ per game.

I still have the game somewhere on VHS. Remember it was broadcast on TBS? The Gopher defense played a great game against OU. I was expecting a much bigger score, and they played to a 13-7 final. I was expecting something like the score of the game the following year in Norman, 63-0. That OU team was just a monster. 3 losses to Miami in 3 years - 2 reg season and one Orange Bowl, undefeated against everyone else.

lindssey nelson was ahead of his fashion times, jmo.

Was it Lindsay Nelson, or Herb Tarlek? I couldn't tell the difference with that jacket.

I remember that night. Fantastic atmosphere, intense game and we could have one it at the end. Was a student screaming my lungs out. Could have one it at the end ... off the fingertips of the TE.

I'm diggin' those uniforms. The dark maroon color, the yellow (gold) facemask, the pants with a single wide maroon stripe. The only thing I don't like is the "M" on the sleeve; otherwise, we should go back to those bad boys.

My story about that year

I was 12 years old, swimming at my neighbors pool. He received a call from Lou Holtz himself, telling my neighbor that he really thinks they should buy season tickets. My dad and my neighbor agreed to go in on a pair. That game was my first of the year. If I racall correctly Gophers were driving late for the win when an OU defender came unblocked blind side on Foggie forcing a fumble that effectively ended the game. Good times.

I vividly remember that one - Peter Najarian played a great game on defense. Oklahoma was national champ with an 11-1 record (lost to Miami). They blew everyone else out except Texas,14-7, and Minnesota, 13-7. Those of us there thought the Gophers would pull it out. Holtz went 5-1 in his first six games that year - then the Notre Dame rumors began to surface...

Holtz went 5-1 in his first six games that year - then the Notre Dame rumors began to surface...

I remember talking about Holtz to ND in gym class that fall. I have hated Holtz ever since. He turned a lot of people against the football program in the end. Sid's article in the strib made me think really hard about what it would take to get this team going again. He said you need someone who has won championships and honestly that's what it probably going to take. If at season end Brewster is done, they should go after Les Miles. It might take sacks of money, but it would be worth it.

I remember talking about Holtz to ND in gym class that fall. I have hated Holtz ever since. He turned a lot of people against the football program in the end. Sid's article in the strib made me think really hard about what it would take to get this team going again. He said you need someone who has won championships and honestly that's what it probably going to take. If at season end Brewster is done, they should go after Les Miles. It might take sacks of money, but it would be worth it.

I sat in Northrup as Holtz talked to a bunch of fraternities before the season began. He SWORE he was not leaving until he took the Gophers to the Rose Bowl. But he was also so scatter-brained that the guy sitting next to me looked at me 1/2 way through and just said "what the hell is this guy talking about?".

Every time I think of Holtz I think of sanctions, probation and lost scholarships at Arkansas, here, ND and South Carolina.

In my mind, he is one of the biggest cheaters ever in the college coaching universe. I despise him and despise the fact that he is in the hall of fame after one 1 friggin national championship.

I sat in Northrup as Holtz talked to a bunch of fraternities before the season began. He SWORE he was not leaving until he took the Gophers to the Rose Bowl. But he was also so scatter-brained that the guy sitting next to me looked at me 1/2 way through and just said "what the hell is this guy talking about?".

Every time I think of Holtz I think of sanctions, probation and lost scholarships at Arkansas, here, ND and South Carolina.

In my mind, he is one of the biggest cheaters ever in the college coaching universe. I despise him and despise the fact that he is in the hall of fame after one 1 friggin national championship.

Yep, no one ever says anything bad about Uncle Lou, but he's been a cheater everywhere he's been, and always left town just ahead of the cops.

Gophermeister, you are right: Holtz left me bitter and pretty unforgiving, even after all this time. I think we averaged 61,000 for seven home games that year and had 42,000 tickets sold for the Spring Game. Everything seemed to be going our way - we had the momentum; then he killed it (and took QB recruit Tony Rice with him to ND). I think you are right about getting a winner, too - has to be with a winning head coach who has succeeded somewhere else, as Bierman, Warmath and Holtz had.

I believe my grandma once had a couch made out of the same material as Nelson's jacket. Same pattern, color, etc.

Top Bottom