1475 portal players

Gopherbbdude

Reaction score
I hope all these kids know that they are not guaranteed NIL, playing time, a scholarship, a free education, and/or a spot on a team.

The portal is a pretty big risk for some of these guys.

I hope all these kids know that they are not guaranteed NIL, playing time, a scholarship, a free education, and/or a spot on a team.

The portal is a pretty big risk for some of these guys.

Is that just D1 or total? On3 says only 806 right now for D1.

There’s a lot of circumstances that go into transferring, not just NIL. Closer to home, playing time, coaching change, bad fit, bad locker room etc etc.. to name a few.

I’m sure they’re aware of the risk and the amount of people in the portal that they it’s stick out ahead of. It’s the epitome of betting themselves. Commendable really (if its for the right reasons), annoying from a fans perspective tho

There’s a lot of circumstances that go into transferring, not just NIL. Closer to home, playing time, coaching change, bad fit, bad locker room etc etc.. to name a few.

I’m sure they’re aware of the risk and the amount of people in the portal that they it’s stick out ahead of. It’s the epitome of betting themselves. Commendable really (if its for the right reasons), annoying from a fans perspective tho
Players have been making these decisions for generations. The difference now is they might get a chance to play while they make their life adjustment. In the past, they would either muscle through the trouble and stick it out and get a degree or hang it up and finish the degree on their own dime. I know a few football players who did that.

I do hope there are enough people in their lives to counsel them on the risks, especially of losing a free education. I’m not so sure on that, especially on perceived higher end players.

Commendable?? really? For a kid to make a commitment to a team and a school then back out after you don't get paid or things get a little tough........Commendable?

Commendable?? really? For a kid to make a commitment to a team and a school then back out after you don't get paid or things get a little tough........Commendable?
There’s a qualifier of for the right reasons. I’m thinking right reasons include education or playing time.

I think its funny that everyone automatically goes to the idea that the kid is leaving because he isnt getting paid. Like I said in the first comment, theres LOTS of reasons they transfer. If a coach leaves for a better opportunity for instance. He didn't honor his commitment to the players so why should they stay? If a staff makes promises of playing time that they dont make true on, is he supposed to sit there and waste the last 4-5 years of his playing days because they don't play him/he isn't good enough?

like I said, betting on yourself FOR THE RIGHT REASONS is commendable, yes. I don't agree with the kids just chasing paydays (like AJ Storr for example), but not all transfer reasons fall under that bubble.

I think its funny that everyone automatically goes to the idea that the kid is leaving because he isnt getting paid. Like I said in the first comment, theres LOTS of reasons they transfer. If a coach leaves for a better opportunity for instance. He didn't honor his commitment to the players so why should they stay? If a staff makes promises of playing time that they dont make true on, is he supposed to sit there and waste the last 4-5 years of his playing days because they don't play him/he isn't good enough?

like I said, betting on yourself FOR THE RIGHT REASONS is commendable, yes. I don't agree with the kids just chasing paydays (like AJ Storr for example), but not all transfer reasons fall under that bubble.
I don't think yo realize how many players are being paid

With that many in the portal you would think we could find at least one that wants to come to Minnesota

I agree with what your saying, but i can also take a guess and say i believe that there are not many transferring because they are changing majors!!

You act like if the kid makes a committment he owes that school. Well if that is the case isthat debt cancelled if the coach who recruited him leaves or is fired? In my opinion it is!

Why should the player be any more committed to a school than their coach is? why do we judge them more harshly for doing the exact same thing every coach does?

Why should the player be any more committed to a school than their coach is? why do we judge them more harshly for doing the exact same thing every coach does?
never said anything about a coaching change situation

I judge them equally. Coaches have consequences for breaking employment contracts. It’s part of the negotiation of getting out. Players owe nothing if they take off.

Top Bottom