13 Gophers to participate in Wed. pro-day

Good luck guys. I would think it would be a nerve-wracking day.

can't find it right now, but I also saw a list of non-Gophers who will be taking part in the MN Pro Day. There were some FCS, D2 and even D3 kids involved, including a QB from Gustavus. I guess they need someone to throw the ball to any receivers who show up.

can't find it right now, but I also saw a list of non-Gophers who will be taking part in the MN Pro Day. There were some FCS, D2 and even D3 kids involved, including a QB from Gustavus. I guess they need someone to throw the ball to any receivers who show up.
I think it's pretty usual for major pro days to be held such that regional small school prospects that pro scouts want to see are also invited. Probably the same thing in Fargo, Madison, etc.

This mock draft at CBS has Boye Mafe going #24 overall. It appears to have been published hours before the Gopher pro day. First I've seen of him in a first round mock, but probably won't be the last.

I really hope Mafe is up to the challenge in the NFL. If he goes in the first round there is going to be a ton of pressure on him to prove he was worth the investment.

He has been a good player but his play in college didn't get to the level of a 1st round NFL pick and he is getting the attention he is based on freak athletic ability.

Hopefully he lands at a place that can maximize his potential and turn him into an NFL star.

This is awesome for all the other Gopher and local prospects trying to get noticed by the NFL. They might have been there to watch Faalele and Mafe but it gives those other guys a great opportunity to catch a teams eye.

I wouldn't be shocked if Ko Kieft had the longest career of everyone that participated in Pro Day today. If he latches on to a team he won't end up getting cut because there are few players that can/will do the dirty work that he does.
There has been an interesting shift in the NFL the last few years to add additional blockers to the LOS. We are seeing many teams run out 6 OL sets and sets with heavy TE types.

I don't think anyone really thinks Kieft is going to be any sort of receiver at the next level but he can really block. He can block at the point of contact and he can really block in space (something some OL struggle with).

Last edited:

I think I read 5.6 somewhere.
I would love to know how much actual value there is in 40 times for Offensive Lineman. I know they typically try to get a 10 yard reading as well which for a lineman would be far more valuable but those numbers are rarely discussed.

I really hope Mafe is up to the challenge in the NFL. If he goes in the first round there is going to be a ton of pressure on him to prove he was worth the investment.

He has been a good player but his play in college didn't get to the level of a 1st round NFL pick and he is getting the attention he is based on freak athletic ability.

Hopefully he lands at a place that can maximize his potential and turn him into an NFL star.
Other than the really obvious stars each year, I think this is true for most guys who are drafted.

A lot of an NFL career can come down to early luck. Right situation, right time. Guy in front of you goes down for some reason that had nothing to do with you. Coach likes you or believes in you for some reason, gives you a chance. You yourself don't get hurt, buried, in a doghouse, etc.

I would love to know how much actual value there is in 40 times for Offensive Lineman. I know they typically try to get a 10 yard reading as well which for a lineman would be far more valuable but those numbers are rarely discussed.
If you're drafting a guy who makes Orlando Pace look small, to be a guy who even runs 10 yards to block a LB ... you're doing it wrong.

He's a guy who has the size and brute strength to basically be "un-bull rush-able".

Just a matter if he can deal with NFL level speed rushers or not.

Top Bottom