13 2013 Redshirts as of now...

EE_Gopher

Reaction score
I do think that the 2012 Gopher recruiting class will go down as one of the best in the Big 10, no matter what Rivals and the others say. 16 of them played right away (17 if you include Jamel) with 10 red-shirting in a class of 26. This year, there are 13 red-shirts with only six playing.

It is interesting I would guess they planned to red-shirt Jalen Myrick and play Berkley, but injuries switched those two. Hendrick Ekpe played to replace the spot opened by the graduation of DL Wilhite, the two linebackers were from junior college so they played right away, and Donavahn Jones and Drew Wolitarsky played because of a true depth issue in the wide receiver position.

I think one really good thing is that all three linebackers were able to red-shirt. I still would not be surprised to see this class include another junior college linebacker, though.

I think red-shirting Jordan Hinojosa was smart. We had the increased depth with red-shirt Youshoub Timms and Jordan wouldn't have got any playing time worth blowing a year of eligibility over.

Red-shirting is great, but nothing beats playing. I would not like what this year's team would be like if Eric Murray, Philip Nelson, Damarius Travis, Antonio Johnson, etc... had red-shirted.

Great Post EE. I agree playing time is key and sometimes more important than red-shirting (save the OL position). I think they would have played Laster on ST this year to start getting some young LBs experience had he not got hurt in the Fall. Just a gut feeling.

And I don't remember the number but it is double figures of walkons redshirting in addition. This was our biggest and best walkon group ever, on paper. We have lots of people who have made significant contributions who started as walkons. That's exciting to me. Several of these guys would have been scholarship recruits under previous coaches. This is a very nice (I think important) component of the Kill program.

Starting next year, the only position where it's likely to see a true freshman is at DB. We have depth everywhere else on the team, and lots of it. Anyone else who plays is going to because they are that good.

In Brick By Brick, Episode 13 they did mention that you compete for a starting spots in Kill's system. Pedigree or star ratings only get you in the front door.

It was mentioned, they'd rather give scholarships to a walk-ons who'll work hard to proved themselves during their red shirt year than take a chance on giving a scholarship to certain players who may show HS credentials, but is a gamble. Whatever happened to Dexter Foreman, for instance?

Top Bottom