11. Arizona
12. Arkansas
16. USC
17. Iowa State
25. LSU
26. Colorado State
35. San Francisco
No votes: Minnesota, Weber State, Wyoming
Even considering how well we have done so far- does anyone here actually think we deserve to be a top 25 team?

Yes. Some interesting notes from the AP poll:

B1G Teams
1. Purdue
19. Michigan State
21. Ohio State
22. wisconsin
28. Illinois
33. Iowa
34. Michigan
37. Indiana

Remaining Unbeatens
1. Purdue
2. Baylor
11. Arizona
12. Arkansas
16. USC
17. Iowa State
25. LSU
26. Colorado State
35. San Francisco

I think the San Francisco one bothered me more than any Big Ten placements above us. San Francisco has 9 wins as opposed to our 7 but they have had an easier schedule according to Sagarin (#280 vs. #206) and have no wins against the top 50 (according to Sagarin) while we have one (MS St).

I'd be a little irritated if I were Iowa too. They have one loss: on the road against top ranked Purdue and put up a pretty good fight despite not having their best player for the game.

I am happy to see the team got a few votes, a nice little nod to a great start. However, I don't think we should be upset about not being ranked. PITT is one of the worst teams in D1, maybe the worst P5 team in the country, we beat them by 1. Ms St is a good team but they arent even in any tournament discussion yet. Again, road P5 wins are great against anyone, but ist not like we are beating on teams who are sure fire tournament teams. I would think if we pulled off a surprise and won either of the games vs Mich/MSU that we would be ranked even if we lost the other one.

Even considering how well we have done so far- does anyone here actually think we deserve to be a top 25 team?

Do I think the Gophers are a top 25 team? No. Do I think the team’s results this season are in the top 25? Maybe. I think our body of work thus far is in the 20-35 range. People who value efficiency as part of the resúmé might argue the lower range of that.

A stock broker would probably sell the Gophers now while their value is high. Hopefully, Ben and the team can maintain the unexpectedly strong results and show the team’s start is not a fluke.

Last edited:

I am happy to see the team got a few votes, a nice little nod to a great start. However, I don't think we should be upset about not being ranked. PITT is one of the worst teams in D1, maybe the worst P5 team in the country, we beat them by 1. Ms St is a good team but they arent even in any tournament discussion yet. Again, road P5 wins are great against anyone, but ist not like we are beating on teams who are sure fire tournament teams. I would think if we pulled off a surprise and won either of the games vs Mich/MSU that we would be ranked even if we lost the other one.
Hunter Dickinson might abuse us like a drug mule

Chasing the Top 25 doomed Pitino's tenure. You could tell Pitino and the players cared about it. But getting a number ahead of our name never guaranteed a tourney ticket either (see last year).

I don't need this team to be Top 25 this year. If they can remain on the right side of the bubble the rest of the way, I'll be more than thrilled

I've been looking at ESPN's SOR rankings as a decent indicator as to how impressive a team's resume is.

Gophers are number 2 today -- they have been fluctuating between around 8 and 20 most of the season.

Ms St is a good team but they arent even in any tournament discussion yet.
Miss St. is currently on Joe Lunardi's "First Four Out" in the ESPN bracketology. That was a big win and deserves the credit. I believe they were also like 41 in the KenPom rankings before we beat them.

Yes. Some interesting notes from the AP poll:

B1G Teams
1. Purdue
19. Michigan State
21. Ohio State
22. wisconsin
28. Illinois
33. Iowa
34. Michigan
37. Indiana

Remaining Unbeatens
1. Purdue
2. Baylor
11. Arizona
12. Arkansas
16. USC
17. Iowa State
25. LSU
26. Colorado State
35. San Francisco
Unbeaten list has 2-3 coaches that some MN people wanted.

This board clearly knows what it’s talking about when it comes to selecting coaches. Perhaps it could serve as a coaching search firm.
It would have sucked to get Musselman. :)

I think you are right. This has been super fun. When we step back, Pitt isn't any better than the schools they beat that we've never heard of and we beat Pitt in front of 40 people. Miss St. is much better than Pitt but they are coached by Ben Howland and we also played them in front of 40 people.

A gesture of respect and recognition to a well coached team for a great start is really cool.

If we win Wednesday night? Holy f%%k!!!

most people are saying they'll be at least a bubbler this year. It's a very solid win on the road that would be a plus if we somehow ended up near the bubble (absolutely will be a quadrant 1)

In a perfect world this team finishes 30-0 and remains outside the top 25. Gotta keep em motivated… Lol

Just enjoying what I've seen so far. Of course the losses will come, and likely even pile up. The sum of the whole is greater than the sum of the parts this year and its been a long time since I've been able to say that about Gopher basketball.

Top Bottom