12/27 - Rashad Vaughn will NOT attend the U

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vaughn just tweeted

@ShowtimeMr:

"I think I will narrow my college list this week."

Edit: Dang it Bleed, ya beat me to it!

I love how Vaughn and Jones are very different on social networking. Vaughn will retweet any and everyone messing with their heads in terms of where he is going. Jones is just the opposite. Doesn't like to say much at all.

per Doogie scoops:

"Maryland is the latest school to emerge in the sweepstakes for Cooper junior guard Rashad Vaughn. The connection there is that Vaughn plays for Net Gain, an Under Armour-sponsored AAU team. Maryland is an Under Armour school."

http://m.1500espn.com/pages/sportswire.php?sID=5935

Go Gophers!!

Not attacking you here Bleed, but why would that matter?

A. Is a recruit really going to let the fact that one school uses Nike uniforms while another uses Adidas be a deciding factor?

B. Why is the fact that Maryland uses Under Armour only now suddenly putting them in play, possibly even as a front-runner? Have they not been using Under Armour all along?

Not attacking you here Bleed, but why would that matter?

A. Is a recruit really going to let the fact that one school uses Nike uniforms while another uses Adidas be a deciding factor?

B. Why is the fact that Maryland uses Under Armour only now suddenly putting them in play, possibly even as a front-runner? Have they not been using Under Armour all along?

It wasn't my comment, I just posted what Doogie wrote.

Go Gophers!!

Yes, there are many players who have gone to schools because of their brand affiliation (many consider UCLA being an Adidas school as a sizeable reason that Shabazz Muhammad chose them). It's more than just the brand on the gear, it's the contacts within the companies that they make and the influence that those contacts may have over them.

It's nuts, but it does happen. Will Rashaad keep Maryland in play just because of an Under Armour affiliation? I have no idea, and I hope not. But stranger things have happened.

I have always been a Nike guy and I would not go to some sh!t hole school like Wisconsin because they are affiliated with Adidas, it would have been a factor for me for sure.

It wasn't my comment, I just posted what Doogie wrote.

Go Gophers!!

Oh I know you were just reporting Doogie's comments, I just didn't think that brand affiliation would play a major role in where any athlete decides to go to school, but MinneStoa explained why it could.

I have always been a Nike guy and I would not go to some sh!t hole school like Wisconsin because they are affiliated with Adidas, it would have been a factor for me for sure.

Agreed. I'm the same way with Nike and would absolutely prefer a Nike school. However, I'd be a Gopher regardless (I say that as a die hard gopher fan though, probably doesn't mean much)

Doogie tweet: No shock: told Rashad Vaughn (@ShowtimeMr) will have the #Gophers on his shortened list Thurs. or Fri. Told he'll get list down to about 10.

Go Gophers!!

I hope he cuts Iowa State off early. Would make my day.

I just caught up with this thread and watched the videos...Looks like the finest 2 guard prospect we've ever had a chance at getting. I love how he can handle the ball and get his own shot off. What a concept! :) Sounds like we might have the inside track on him with Rodney helping steer him to Tubby. Kentucky and Kansas will be tough to beat out though....maybe impossible. If he could get together with Tyus and the two of them make a pact to stay home, we could have quite a team in 2014/2015, assuming Andre Hollins stays.

I just caught up with this thread and watched the videos...Looks like the finest 2 guard prospect we've ever had a chance at getting. I love how he can handle the ball and get his own shot off. What a concept! :) Sounds like we might have the inside track on him with Rodney helping steer him to Tubby. Kentucky and Kansas will be tough to beat out though....maybe impossible. If he could get together with Tyus and the two of them make a pact to stay home, we could have quite a team in 2014/2015, assuming Andre Hollins stays.

Moses87, I think your assessment is spot on. It is very rare for us to be in on a dominant SG like Vaughn. He is the total package. Explosive athlete, solid ball handling, excellent shooter, etc. I would agree that our biggest competition for him will be KU and UK. He and Vince Taylor have reportedly developed a great relationship, although knowing our luck, this will finally be the off-season that Taylor gets a HC job!

Go Gophers!!

When is the earliest he could commit anywhere? When is he likely to commit?

When is the earliest he could commit anywhere? When is he likely to commit?

I imagine he'll take his official visits in Fall 2013 and then commit and sign with someone next November. The bluebloods will absolutely roll the red carpet out for him.

Go Gophers!!

I'd say the second best 2-guard we've ever been close to getting - behind Glen Rice. It's the type of signing that would make Minnesota a legitimate conference title contender and Final Four hopeful. Needless to say, both Vaughn and Jones make us a national title contender. I hope that's the way the coaches are selling this situation to the players. If they can win a national title at Minnesota, that would be hero status - way beyond in relative terms what they could accomplish at a more established program.

I remember when the Gophers landed Bobby Jackson. Larry Davis guaranteed him that, if he signed, they would go to the Final Four. Davis was a great recruiter and could sell refrigerators to Eskimos. I hope and pray the current coaching staff is doing as able a job recruiting these two guys.

I imagine he'll take his official visits in Fall 2013 and then commit and sign with someone next November. The bluebloods will absolutely roll the red carpet out for him.

Go Gophers!!

Don't some big time recruits sign a letter of intent during their Jr season of HS? I susppose he'll take his trips and enjoy the perks and milk it as much as he can. Hopefully, he has a sense of state pride and will convince Jones to stay home and build a winner in Minneapolis.

Don't some big time recruits sign a letter of intent during their Jr season of HS? I susppose he'll take his trips and enjoy the perks and milk it as much as he can. Hopefully, he has a sense of state pride and will convince Jones to stay home and build a winner in Minneapolis.

No, the earliest a 2014 kid can sign a LOI is November 2013.

Go Gophers!!

No, you can't sign until you are a senior. You can commit anytime you want, but that obviously isn't exactly the same thing.

Yeah, he could commit to the Gophers right now, if he wants to. I would welcome it :)

With Vaughn now being #10 on ESPN Rankings and steadily climbing. What are the chances Minnesota breeds the #1 & #2 recruits when the final ratings come out?

"@ISURecruitLists:2014 SG Rashad Vaughn tells @JayJayUSATODAY this list: UNC, Duke, Illinois, Kent., Minn, Iowa St, Baylor, Cuse, Maryland, Texas & Kansas."

He doesn't have an offer from Duke, yet.

My first question. Who abbreviates Kentucky as Kent.?

False Alarm!

"@ShowtimeMr:I have not trimmed my list yet. That is not my trimmed list"

Jason Jordan of USA Today is a liar!

I'm sure the majority are still in the mix, but as long as Minnesota's on it, that's all that matters

Vaugh tweet: "@showtimemr: The big bro @Will_I_Ams_33 having a big year this year!"

Go Gophers!!

rashad would be nice to have on this team now...

eventually we are going to need a guy who can create his own shot with both the jump shot and the drive.. he is that type of player and i hope he sticks around

While I would certainly love to have another player like that, I think Andre Hollins can do those things pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom