12/27 - Rashad Vaughn will NOT attend the U

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would really suck not to get any of these top guys - the Tubby Bashers would go crazy!

Vaughn is a stud!!!

I saw Vaughn against Benilde and Lumpkin shut him down He scored most of his points in garbage time. That said he has great hops and can handle the ball. He was a bit of a pouter and did not seem to listen to his coach at times.Getting Vaughn, Jones, Travis, young Ellenson and the Osseo big Theisen would be sweet. I saw Flip Saunders there and he was watching Vaughn the previous week with Izzo. I am starting to think Flip may be wanting to be the next Gopher coach.

He's never come off as a pouter to me, but I'd probably get pretty frustrated if I had to do everything for my team. It's too bad neither him or Tyus have much of a supporting cast. Would be nice to see them both consistently make the state tournament.

They could play together and make a lot of things happen.

He probably was frustrated by his inability to hit his shots and finish at the rim. Sanjay is a very good defender; he will be a good addition at Northwestern. Vaughn has some talented teammates but the team was not in sync. He is also a sophomore and does not have that much history with the team.

he will blow up during AAU.. top 25.. maybe top 10 by summer's end.

probably a loyal Cooper kid.. but really, he should be at Oak Hill next year.

there was talk of Rodney going there at this point in his career ( end of soph )... might have see quicker development from him.

Really hope he stays in Minnesota, and he's definitely deserving of a top 25 ranking IMO. Scouting services just need to go watch his team play. If he was on Howard Pulley he'd probably already be ranked somewhere in that range.

I saw Vaughn against Benilde and Lumpkin shut him down He scored most of his points in garbage time. That said he has great hops and can handle the ball. He was a bit of a pouter and did not seem to listen to his coach at times.Getting Vaughn, Jones, Travis, young Ellenson and the Osseo big Theisen would be sweet. I saw Flip Saunders there and he was watching Vaughn the previous week with Izzo. I am starting to think Flip may be wanting to be the next Gopher coach.

he is on a bad team and had two fouls in the first two minutes. Didn't have much opportunity to do his thing.

Jones said he and Vaughn haven't "really" talked about playing together with the Gophers, but that has nothing to do with Smith's future at Minnesota. Jones said it's just too early to be a serious conversation.

"We've been friends for a long time," Jones said. "We've definitely talked about going to colleges together and what kinds of colleges are recruiting the both of us. But we're just letting it play out and kind of see what happens."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_20426391/gophers-tubby-smith-situation-will-be-factor-tyus

Go Gophers!!

espn:

Standout players
Rashad Vaughn (Minneapolis, Minn./Robinsdale Cooper)
2014, SF/SG, 6-foot-6, 200 pounds
Vaughn has continued to impress with his ability to score in a variety of ways. He finishes above the rim on the break with authority, knocks down midrange jumpers off the catch or dribble, knocks down open 3s, slashes along the baseline with an explosive first step and he displays a deadly floater going to his left with great touch and body control. Vaughn is also very good at defensive rebounding and starting the break, where he makes good decisions. He is a good ballhandler with a nice hesitation move but must work on going left under pressure. However, his passes are on time and he hardly ever allows the defense to speed him up. Vaughn is a terrific athlete who is capable of defending both wing positions as well. While he must work on his perimeter footwork and make his jumper from behind the arc a more consistent weapon, the young wing has off-the-charts upside. Kansas, Baylor, Georgetown, Texas, Tennessee and Iowa State, among others have already offered.

Has Minnesota ever had two of the top 20 HS players in one year? Not that I remember.

White and Williams may have been close at one point, but Williams dropped quite a bit his senior year (I think went from the 30's down to the 70's).

Has Minnesota ever had two of the top 20 HS players in one year? Not that I remember.

White and Williams may have been close at one point, but Williams dropped quite a bit his senior year (I think went from the 30's down to the 70's).

The 2001 class was close, with RSCI ratings of #9 for Rickert and #30 for Alan Anderson.

In 2009, RSCI ratings for White and Williams were #31 and #46 respectively.

Vaughn pumped in 27 of his own during Net Gain's one-point semifinal win (link)

DUNCANVILLE, Texas Championship Sunday at Under Armour

Already ranked No. 26 nationally in the class of 2014, it's not as if Rashad Vaughn entered the weekend an unknown. Still, the 6-foot-5 shooting guard for Net Gain Sports really put himself on the map with his performance over the weekend and he cemented his place among the top wing prospects in his class with a masterful performance of his own during Aaron Harrison's eruption. While Harrison was going off for the Houston Defenders, Vaughn pumped in 27 of his own during Net Gain's one-point semifinal win. Most notably, Vaughn drained two contested threes and scored the game-winning hoop on a twisting drive in the game's waning moments

http://minnesota.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1369679

I hate being the buzz kill on things and OBVIOUSLY would absolutely die to see Rashad in Maroon and Gold, but I've talked with his brother while hooping at Lifetime and he said that if UNC offers, Rashad is as good as theirs. He also said his interest in the U of M is moderate. We still have a while to go until any commitment obviously but this is nothing a solid season of basketball and some heavy recruiting can't change. Buzzkill aside, this dude has some serious game and I would be hard pressed to say I won't follow him wherever his life journey takes him.

All the best to him and I hope the Gophs can turn his head this upcoming season.

he said that if UNC offers, Rashad is as good as theirs

I don't know, this sounds pretty specious. I've never heard of anyone wanting to go to UNC (5 national titles, 4 runner-ups, 18 Final Fours, 36 conference championships) over Minnesota (0 national titles, 0 runner-ups, 0 Final Fours, 8 conference championships). Rashad would be the first.

I don't know, this sounds pretty specious. I've never heard of anyone wanting to go to UNC (5 national titles, 4 runner-ups, 18 Final Fours, 36 conference championships) over Minnesota (0 national titles, 0 runner-ups, 0 Final Fours, 8 conference championships). Rashad would be the first.

don't be an idiot. I'm sure UCLA was terribly upset that they didn't have Ganglehoff on their staff. They would surely have won then.

don't be an idiot. I'm sure UCLA was terribly upset that they didn't have Ganglehoff on their staff. They would surely have won then.

I don't condone or endorse cheating. Minnesota has zero Final Four appearances. Period. End of discussion. If neither condoning nor endorsing cheating makes me "an idiot", then buy the sign and I'll wear it around town.

I don't condone or endorse cheating. Minnesota has zero Final Four appearances. Period. End of discussion. If neither condoning nor endorsing cheating makes me "an idiot", then buy the sign and I'll wear it around town.
The cheating had nothing to do with basketball. It wasn't a recruiting violation. For purposes of recruiting Rashad Vaughn, the gophers went to the final four in 97'. He'll be talking to many people who understand how this community supports the gophers when they are winning.

It's great that we have this idea of the "student-athlete", but nobody recruits Rashad because he's got the best grades on his team, and Rashad likely won't really care to compare the academic skills of unc vs the gophs.

Yeah they really screwed up the brackets that season. Only 3 teams made the Final Four. What a weird year.

It doesn't really change the argument, and I see what you're saying, but according to Wikipedia, we have 3 national titles, 1902, 1903, and 1919.

Alot of it is about getting players to the pro's, North Carolina does it on a consistant basis, Minnesota rarely, I think this is going to be one of the major issues with both Jones and Vaughn, it is going to be hard to turn them away from one of the top 5 programs.

Williams hasn't developed, White left, and Mbwake got injured, if all three had stayed with the program, developed, stayed healthy, and got or will get drafted it might be a different story.

AO54 said:
The cheating had nothing to do with basketball. It wasn't a recruiting violation.

Oh it sure does. .

Imagine how much better at golf you could be if you didn't have to go to work, you could play everyday! Go to the driving range for a few hours, maybe practice putting for few hours too, chipping, irons, you name it. You've got all day everyday.

Meanwhile, the guy you play against every week keeps going to work and practices not even close to half as much as you do.

Who do you think is the better golfer by the end of the year?

Same with basketball, the gophers didn't go to class or do homework. They spent their days lifting, shooting, working on their game, etc. meanwhile the team over at MSU was busy writing term papers.

Who do you think wins a basketball game at the end of the year?

Oh it sure does. .

Imagine how much better at golf you could be if you didn't have to go to work, you could play everyday! Go to the driving range for a few hours, maybe practice putting for few hours too, chipping, irons, you name it. You've got all day everyday.

Meanwhile, the guy you play against every week keeps going to work and practices not even close to half as much as you do.

Who do you think is the better golfer by the end of the year?

Same with basketball, the gophers didn't go to class or do homework. They spent their days lifting, shooting, working on their game, etc. meanwhile the team over at MSU was busy writing term papers.

Who do you think wins a basketball game at the end of the year?
Ridiculous. D-1 basketball is not equivalent to you and your buddy playing a weekly golf game. Their full-time job is playing basketball.

AO54 said:
Ridiculous. D-1 basketball is not equivalent to you and your buddy playing a weekly golf game. Their full-time job is playing basketball.

NBA players have basketball as their full time job, college athletes not so much. Ever wonder why NBA players are more talented, stronger, faster, etc. than they ever were in college? And why no college team would get within 50 of an NBA team? Well, that whole "full-time job" thing plays a big part.

But then that must be why the majority of the team is taking summer classes though instead of being in the gym all day, they really need to stop neglecting their full time jobs.

Especially since, according to the U, a full course load should take 40 hours per week of your time. If basketball is also their full time job, I'm not sure these guys sleep. Is that why the Gophers struggle to end games? They're exhausted?

If the Gophers could just find someone to do their homework for them and then pay attention to only their full time job of basketball we'd be way better! Wait a second ...

Alot of it is about getting players to the pro's, North Carolina does it on a consistant basis, Minnesota rarely, I think this is going to be one of the major issues with both Jones and Vaughn, it is going to be hard to turn them away from one of the top 5 programs.

Williams hasn't developed, White left, and Mbwake got injured, if all three had stayed with the program, developed, stayed healthy, and got or will get drafted it might be a different story.

If you watched last season, I think it would be pretty hard to believe this statement. It is true that North Carolina sends far more players to the NBA than we do, but is that because they develop talent so well, or because high school players who are already very good to start with go there and get drafted because they were already good? There was an article regarding this sort of thing posted on the football board, it showed that Iowa was the best school at developing players in the country, based on the metric of NFL draft picks. Even though they aren't among the top tier of football schools, they still develop players better than Texas, Ohio State, Alabama, USC etc., though those other schools may have more players in the NFL. Those schools have more players in the NFL because they get more talented recruits to start with. Would Anthony Davis have gotten drafted if he played for Nebraska? I think he would have. Among the "nobody" schools who had players on NBA rosters at the beginning of this season are: Alabama A&M, Bradley, IUPUI, Northeastern, Texas State, and Western Carolina. I think if players are really good, like Tyus and Rashad are, they will be noticed regardless of where they go to school. And it's not like the University of Minnesota is some mid-major that nobody's heard of, we are a major conference team, we have been to the tournament twice in the last four years, we have a coach with a national title under his belt, who has coached at a blue blood basketball school. I guess the point is I don't think that going Minnesota or North Carolina will significantly affect the likelihood that he gets drafted, if he is a good player, regardless of where he goes, he will be drafted.

Cayman said:
If you watched last season, I think it would be pretty hard to believe this statement. It is true that North Carolina sends far more players to the NBA than we do, but is that because they develop talent so well, or because high school players who are already very good to start with go there and get drafted because they were already good? There was an article regarding this sort of thing posted on the football board, it showed that Iowa was the best school at developing players in the country, based on the metric of NFL draft picks. Even though they aren't among the top tier of football schools, they still develop players better than Texas, Ohio State, Alabama, USC etc., though those other schools may have more players in the NFL. Those schools have more players in the NFL because they get more talented recruits to start with. Would Anthony Davis have gotten drafted if he played for Nebraska? I think he would have. Among the "nobody" schools who had players on NBA rosters at the beginning of this season are: Alabama A&M, Bradley, IUPUI, Northeastern, Texas State, and Western Carolina. I think if players are really good, like Tyus and Rashad are, they will be noticed regardless of where they go to school. And it's not like the University of Minnesota is some mid-major that nobody's heard of, we are a major conference team, we have been to the tournament twice in the last four years, we have a coach with a national title under his belt, who has coached at a blue blood basketball school. I guess the point is I don't think that going Minnesota or North Carolina will significantly affect the likelihood that he gets drafted, if he is a good player, regardless of where he goes, he will be drafted.

Agreed. The reason you go to UNC isn't to get drafted. It is to be a part of great tradition and to play with the best players in the nation and compete for a title.

My hope is that, while we don't have the tradition of UNC, Tyus and Vaughn realize with the two of them you can compete for a title here too.

Their full-time job is playing basketball.

Wrong! Scher is hitting it on the nuts with his explanations in this thread.

Cheating is cheating is cheating. Period. Some types of cheating are worse than others, but it's all still cheating. It doesn't matter whether it's a recruiting violation, an illegal benefits violation, or an academic integrity violation. It is all cheating. Period. Regardless of the type of cheating, I will never, ever, ever, condone it or endorse it. We must all remember it every single day and remember how badly it felt to have those ill-gotten gains taken away so that we ensure that it never, ever, ever happens again. Ever.

Why some want to massage it away and pretend that it never happened is beyond me. It's disgusting. It's cheating. Plain and simple. The Gophers have zero Final Four appearances. Plain and simple. Why don't you give the NCAA a call (you know, the governing body of college basketball) and ask them how many Final Four appearances they list for the University of Minnesota?

...c'mon, would ya really?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom