11 Straight Games of 280 or Fewer Yards Given Up

Purdue has averaged 439.6 yds/game on offense so far. Even if O'Connell can't go, their backup QB looked pretty competent last week (21 of 29, 166 yards passing, 3 TDs). Boilers also had 188 yards rushing.

If the Gophers keep this record going after this game, it will be impressive.

That 280 yards threshold probably ends this weekend if O'Connell plays. Purdue will get their yards even if kept from scoring all that much.

Purdue has averaged 439.6 yds/game on offense so far. Even if O'Connell can't go, their backup QB looked pretty competent last week (21 of 29, 166 yards passing, 3 TDs). Boilers also had 188 yards rushing.

They had 354 against 2-3 Florida Atlantic last week.
That’s closer to 280 than their average

They had 354 against 2-3 Florida Atlantic last week.
That’s closer to 280 than their average

To hold an opponent to fewer than 280 yards is impressive and hard to do, no matter who the opponent is. If the the Gophers do it again, against a Purdue team that's averaging 440 yards/game, I'll be impressed... even if Purdue's backup QB plays.

That said, it doesn't mean that you have to be impressed.

I think you're undervaluing Minnesota and overvaluing FAU. FAU gave up well over 600 yards to UCF. The gophers gave up under 280 yards to MSU. Just saying those stats against FAU aren't special.

To hold an opponent to fewer than 280 yards is impressive and hard to do, no matter who the opponent is. If the the Gophers do it again, against a Purdue team that's averaging 440 yards/game, I'll be impressed... even if Purdue's backup QB plays.

That said, it doesn't mean that you have to be impressed.
It’ll still be really impressive if Mn does it. It wouldn’t be any more impressive playing Purdue than if they were playing anyone else in the big ten outside of northwestern though…was more my point

I think you're undervaluing Minnesota and overvaluing FAU. FAU gave up well over 600 yards to UCF. The gophers gave up under 280 yards to MSU. Just saying those stats against FAU aren't special.

I don't think I said those stats were special. I said I thought the Purdue backup looked "pretty competent". I pointed out the rushing total.

Like I told the other poster, just because I'll be impressed if the Gophers defense keeps their under-280 yards allowed streak alive against Purdue doesn't mean you have to be impressed as well.

To each his own.

That 280 yards threshold probably ends this weekend if O'Connell plays. Purdue will get their yards even if kept from scoring all that much.
Nah, the streak will continue. Couple INTs and a dominating run game will ensure it.

We may need to make room next to PJ's statue to put one up for Rossi.
If we don't do that, we have better be doing other things to keep Rossi happy and not leave us to go elsewhere.

If we don't do that, we have better be doing other things to keep Rossi happy and not leave us to go elsewhere.
If Rossi wants to be a HC, he will leave us eventually. If he's content being a DC forever, we have a shot to keep him but will have to pay with the big boys because the next time Texas/Georgia/Bama/OSU etc. need a DC, I have to imagine Rossi is one of their first phone calls.

Personally, I take the same approach I have with PJ - I have no idea how long he will be here, but I'm going to appreciate it and enjoy the ride as long as it lasts.

Holy Shit. Considering all of the damn good defenses in the country, that's impressive.

By the way, suck it wisconsin!!!!!

This is really impressive in today’s high flying offensive game

Nah, the streak will continue. Couple INTs and a dominating run game will ensure it.
Ha I’m going to walk this one back after seeing how many yards we gave up last year. It’ll be hard to hold those pass yards down with Purdue trying to throw it 50 times.

Ha I’m going to walk this one back after seeing how many yards we gave up last year. It’ll be hard to hold those pass yards down with Purdue trying to throw it 50 times.

Yes, we gave up 448 yards to them while racking up only 300 of our own but still won the game. Purdue did have 2 turnovers and we had none. All-in-all that sounds more like an Iowa type win than a Minnesota type win but that was right after Bowling Green so we sorely needed that one.

Top Bottom