11/17 Rankings: #23 Coaches Poll; Unranked in AP

Should have been ranked in the AP poll, but we not. damn.

Any idea when the Gophers last beat three top 25 teams in the same season?

Should have been ranked in the AP poll, but we not. damn.

There's no one above us or getting votes that I think we'd definitely beat. I think we are on par with Ole Miss, Duke, UCF, but UGA and USC would probably beat us. I think we are somewhere between 25-30.

Shows how slavish the voters are to pre-season polls and to won/lost records. Wisconsin is a top ten team and the Gophers belong in the top 25.

Gophers are about where they should be.

High end they should be around #20. Much higher than that would be really stretching it.

Bottom end, they should be around #35.

Average the two out and we are about where we should be.
Can argue about the method and the means, but in the end, being about 26-28 is probably accurate compared to who we could be and who we couldn't.

Shows how slavish the voters are to pre-season polls and to won/lost records. Wisconsin is a top ten team and the Gophers belong in the top 25.

Wisconsin top 10 in place of A&M? You could make an argument, but they are both 2 loss teams and A&M is in a tougher conference. The two teams who beat A&M are currently ranked #1 and #6, the teams who beat Wisconsin are ranked #4 and #19. A&M has a win against an Ole Miss team currently ranked, and Wisconsin has not beaten any team currently in the top 25 (I'm using the AP poll for these numbers).

WOW! This is GREAT! Mid-November and we are complaining that we aren't ranked in all the polls. I never would have dreamed we would have the opportunity to whine about being ranked #23 and #26 with only 2 games left. What a great year!

I think this is a great point. I don't think rankings should even begin until the middle of October. What is the point of determining who the best is before anyone plays a game? Polling in October would eliminate a lot of perception bias that carries throughout the season.

AP is the most meaningless one. A lot of biased hacks who know about as much as me when it comes to college football which is not anywhere enough. That said, nice we are around that 25 ranking but let's erase any doubt about being top 25 by dispatching b ucky.

Ski-U-Mah and Go Gophers!

Sorry, but the AP got it wrong once again. The coaches poll "gets" it and always has more than the media does. GOPHERS should be top 25 in both polls.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

AP is the most meaningless one. A lot of biased hacks who know about as much as me when it comes to college football which is not anywhere enough. That said, nice we are around that 25 ranking but let's erase any doubt about being top 25 by dispatching b ucky.

Ski-U-Mah and Go Gophers!

+1

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I think this is a great point. I don't think rankings should even begin until the middle of October. What is the point of determining who the best is before anyone plays a game? Polling in October would eliminate a lot of perception bias that carries throughout the season.

I agree with this. I hate the early season polls. The one thing I really can't figure out is how a team can be 0-1 in week 2, and be ranked. At that point, they have done one thing, and they could not have done it any worse.

Exactly. There is no doubt voters are influenced by what teams were previously ranked which is stupid.

It was awhile ago, but I remember some voter getting a ton of criticism because his rankings were all over the place week after week early on in the season. He was interviewed and essentially said that is because the more he sees the teams, the more different he feels about how good certain teams are. What he felt about a team three weeks ago should have zero influence on what he thinks of a team now. That's exactly how you should vote.

Any idea when the Gophers last beat three top 25 teams in the same season?

It sort of happened in 1977. The Gophers beat Michigan (#8/9) and Washington (#10) who met in the Rose Bowl. They also beat UCLA, who finished second in the PAC-10 and would have been ranked in the top 25 but had to forfeit their seven wins because they used an ineligible player.

I think this is perfect motivation of the "Nobody respects us" and "Us against the World." I think not being ranked is a blessing. If the Gophers win, They will be the third-best team in the B1G 10. It's going to take everything the Gophers have to beat Bucky. And extra motivation will help. And can happen. #believe. #skiumah! #whipwisconson.

it's never happened.

Yes it has
Gophergrad - you should perhaps look a bit closer at your avatar. It is an SI cover from the fall of 1957 - the Gophers had a lot of hype going into that season because of a great 1956 campaign where they had finished 6-1-2, having beaten Michigan, MSU and Pitt (all of whom finished in the AP top 20).

Their only 1956 loss was to Big Ten champ Iowa (a 7-0 heartbreaker at home). Unfortunately, 1957 did not live up to expectations: they lost 5 of their last 6 conference games and finished in 8th place.

Also if anyone is interested, the great 1940 team went 8-0, including wins over Northwestern, Michigan, Nebraska and Washington, all of whom finished the year in the AP top 10.

It sort of happened in 1977. The Gophers beat Michigan (#8/9) and Washington (#10) who met in the Rose Bowl. They also beat UCLA, who finished second in the PAC-10 and would have been ranked in the top 25 but had to forfeit their seven wins because they used an ineligible player.

Only time in CFB history that a team beat both Rose Bowl entrants.

Yes it has
Gophergrad - you should perhaps look a bit closer at your avatar. It is an SI cover from the fall of 1957 - the Gophers had a lot of hype going into that season because of a great 1956 campaign where they had finished 6-1-2, having beaten Michigan, MSU and Pitt (all of whom finished in the AP top 20).

Their only 1956 loss was to Big Ten champ Iowa (a 7-0 heartbreaker at home). Unfortunately, 1957 did not live up to expectations: they lost 5 of their last 6 conference games and finished in 8th place.

Also if anyone is interested, the great 1940 team went 8-0, including wins over Northwestern, Michigan, Nebraska and Washington, all of whom finished the year in the AP top 10.

Thank you for noticing my avatar. Very kind of you.

Your answer though is kind of stretching it because when the Gophers beat Pitt they weren't ranked. I took the question to mean when did the Gophers beat 3 ranked teams, who were ranked at the time the Gophers played them, not before or after.

As you also note the 1940 team (which may have been the best of all of the national championship teams imo) beat some pretty good teams but the only Michigan and Ohio St were ranked when the Gophers played them.

I disagree about the AP writers poll meaning less than the USA Today Coaches poll. I put little stock in the college coaches poll.

Think of it this way. Alabama plays a 3:30 ET game on CBS. Nick Saban will miss the 12:00 ET games due to game prep. His game ends at about 7:00 ET with prime time games starting over the course of the next hour. Saban will likely miss much if not all of those prime time games due to postgame requirements (lockerroom talk to players, school radio network interview, press conference, checking on injured players, roundtable with the coaches, possibly meeting alums and donors, leaving the stadium to get to the hotel or home). Maybe he sees the tail end of the prime time games. Perhaps he then watches the late night West Coast games, but he may be too tired or just wants to grab a late night dinner with his wife. So his exposure to much of Saturday's action comes via the sports section, reading scores online, and watching clips on SportsCenter. It's mostly hearsay for him and most coaches to varying extents.

However, the writers, especially the national ones, can and do see virtually every game in one way or another and can make theoretically more intelligent choices. Ride the Twitter feed all day Saturday and you'll the writers commenting as they flip from game to game, taking in the action, including us during our recent rise and the period of crisis that preceded it. The coaches, at least those who don't have the SID fill out the poll, and more than a few do that, still largely fly blind. I am glad the coaches ranked us and wish the writers had too, but on balance the latter poll is more accurate.

I would be curious to know how seriously the AP writers take their poll voting on a week-to-week basis. Yeah, they may follow the top ten a bit more closely, but they are all running to press conferences, interviewing players and writing on deadlines during Game Day. Are they really going to watch much more than the ESPN highlights for their votes?

As for the Coaches Poll, I would not be surprised if, on a week-to-week basis, it is delegated to some assistant. They do some due diligence and give it back to the head coach for final approval.

I took the question to mean when did the Gophers beat 3 ranked teams, who were ranked at the time the Gophers played them, not before or after.

You are correct! I think your version is more meaningful. I figured Gophers might have done it before, but like several things they've been doing, it might be the first time in a long time. First time ever? That would be pretty darn impressive for a team who just a couple of weeks ago was a "bad loss" for Northwestern and Nebraska.

I disagree about the AP writers poll meaning less than the USA Today Coaches poll. I put little stock in the college coaches poll.

Think of it this way. Alabama plays a 3:30 ET game on CBS. Nick Saban will miss the 12:00 ET games due to game prep. His game ends at about 7:00 ET with prime time games starting over the course of the next hour. Saban will likely miss much if not all of those prime time games due to postgame requirements (lockerroom talk to players, school radio network interview, press conference, checking on injured players, roundtable with the coaches, possibly meeting alums and donors, leaving the stadium to get to the hotel or home). Maybe he sees the tail end of the prime time games. Perhaps he then watches the late night West Coast games, but he may be too tired or just wants to grab a late night dinner with his wife. So his exposure to much of Saturday's action comes via the sports section, reading scores online, and watching clips on SportsCenter. It's mostly hearsay for him and most coaches to varying extents.

However, the writers, especially the national ones, can and do see virtually every game in one way or another and can make theoretically more intelligent choices. Ride the Twitter feed all day Saturday and you'll the writers commenting as they flip from game to game, taking in the action, including us during our recent rise and the period of crisis that preceded it. The coaches, at least those who don't have the SID fill out the poll, and more than a few do that, still largely fly blind. I am glad the coaches ranked us and wish the writers had too, but on balance the latter poll is more accurate.

SID?

Top Bottom